Lever Centering

msinger said:
Anyone have any thoughts on how to add a spring to this level so it pulls itself back to the center when released?

Scroll down in the thread below. I used spring lever. It works but needs a little more tension.

viewtopic.php?t=28946&p=266400

And when you overcalibrate the 7th channel, you can get smooth-easy-to control-while-flying tilts.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gJfkmXKX1A[/youtube]

Werz said:
robinb said:
AerialIris said:
Sad day, hacking a hack. I'm hoping they fix the gimbal update.

can you explain absolute movement ?

I dont understand.

thanks
The original rear-mounted lever takes the camera from horizontal at one end of the lever range to vertical at the other end of the lever range. The speed of the tilt is controlled by how fast you move the lever in either direction. That is "absolute tilt."

The new software creates "relative tilt." The spring-loaded wheel on the new transmitter, or the rear-mounted lever on an old transmitter, defaults to the center position, and at that position there is no tilt movement, and the camera remains at its current position. Move it slightly off center in either direction, and the camera slowly tilts up or down from it's current position; the farther you move the wheel or lever in either direction, the faster the camera will tilt up or down from its current position.

Clear enough?

thanks

Though my Old tx and lever and back seems to have mind of its own.

tried calibrating it again and it does not always go always go all the way up. Always goes down.

turning into a pain in butt this.

it just seems now to go from full up to full down with hardly any movement of lever.

I thought I had it sorted but obviously not.

So the rear lever should be centred on power on ?

robinb said:
Though my Old tx and lever and back seems to have mind of its own.

tried calibrating it again and it does not always go always go all the way up. Always goes down.

turning into a pain in butt this.

it just seems now to go from full up to full down with hardly any movement of lever.

I thought I had it sorted but obviously not.

So the rear lever should be centred on power on ?
The way you describe it, it sounds like you upgraded the gimbal software to "relative tilt." That means the lever must be centered to stop the tilt motion. If you tilt the camera, it will continue to move all the way up or all the way down unless you return the lever to dead center. If you move the lever just a little bit, the tilt movement will be slower, but it will continue until you move the lever back to the center position.

I think i don't know what i have done :)

I did all the software updates the other week.

I had been using phone to control the camera.
But then fitted the lever on.

I thought it worked as I thought it should do until I went flying today and now totally confused.

I'm not sure if DJI changed something recently, but I installed my lever today and it tilts the camera in the up position at the one end and the down position at the other end.

But, as soon as I turn on the DJI Vision iPhone app, I can no longer tilt the camera with the remote lever :(

I measured the ball bearing I used. It was .1245, or 1/8 of an inch diameter. It was removed from an old bearing I had.

I Really liked the idea of the progressive tilt for speed control, but the original lever had no center-return, and a knob seemed too awkward. I liked the original lever position, however, and the idea of utilizing unused digits (fingers ;-)) for control.

I modded a PS2 Thumb Joystick Pot and installed it on the bottom of the transmitter.
It's in about the same place as the original lever, and I can now control the rate and direction with my pinkie and/or ring finger.

The pot is 10K, and a bit sensitive, so I've ordered a 5K, which is the value of the original pot in the xmtr.

The Joystick Pot is under $4

Video of operation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JyYDBNXpB4

Attachments

• TILTDEMO.jpg
    TILTDEMO.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 331
Fritz said:
I measured the ball bearing I used. It was .1245, or 1/8 of an inch diameter. It was removed from an old bearing I had.

Thanks

I think i messed up my setup.

When I use the lever it goes either full up or full down. I cannot control in-between at all.

I have tried recalibrating etc but can't get it to work now (thought I had it)

Maybe one of the software updates has caused a problem.

I tried doing this mod yesterday but I have tons of swing in the lever in the middle that does nothing. So depending on which way I am tilting the camera there is a different spot in the swing that will stop the camera movement. Any ideas what I can do?

robinb said:
Fritz said:

Thanks

I think i messed up my setup.

When I use the lever it goes either full up or full down. I cannot control in-between at all.

I have tried recalibrating etc but can't get it to work now (thought I had it)

Maybe one of the software updates has caused a problem.

Your lever is on "upgrade mode = relative mode". The further you push, the faster the tilt travels. DJI for some reason has killed the "absolute" in the recent updates. The problem is there is no self-centering to bring the lever back to neutral. The other problem is the range of movement in the lever. Think of this.. you are using a butchers knife instead of a scalpel.

Go into the assistant and do some movements and see if you can find centre. It's near impossible.
What I did was "overcalibrate" the x1/ch7. To do this, remove the guide/restriction plate and calibrate from positions 10am to 2pm. Technically 12 will be neutral. Finalise the calibration. Now the tricky part... carefully install the restriction plate without moving the shaft that's connected to the pot inside the remote. If the shaft is moved, your neutral 12 will be in a different position. Once the restriction plates are on, the relative speeds are now limited to a slower speed as the movement of the lever is from 11am to 1pm. You have now desensitized the tilt speed.

Make sense?

In upgrade mode you can stop the movement by centering it quite easy on the bench, but when you are watching it on the app it's far more difficult due to the slight delay.
Far too much messed up video from creeping up and down!
It's OK if you are just testing, but if away from home and not wanting to mess up it's best to stay with the app tilt IMO.
It would be better if you could switch between the two modes from the app rather than having to be connected to Assistant.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj