It won't start engines after repairs.

Reaction score
Hi all!

Thanks for reading this. I've had a crash with my Phantom 3 4K model. It hit a tree and came down from about 15 meters. The battery also flew out and is a total loss sadly.

When we examined the drone for damage we decided to replace the following parts since they had visible damage: the center board, a motor (cw), a flatcable running towards the camera/gimbal platform, and the plastic plate which is used to attach the camera/gimbal platform.

When we replaced everything I powered up the Phantom and hoped for the best. It made a connection to my remote controller and iphone. There was no camera image, and the gimbal was disconnected. After further inspection we missed a tear in the black flatcable that runs down the gimbal itself, so we'll have to replace that too.

But besides that i'd expect the phantom to be able to lift off. When I turn it on the Phantom makes the beeps, and you see the tiny movement in the props, so there must be power on them. It also connects to satelites outside. I just had to calibrate the compass but the overal status says 'ok'. But when I make the start move (sticks down and towards each other) the motors dont start. And when I slide to take off, nothing happens...

So what did we miss? Do i have to reset or re-install something on the brand new centerboard? We decided to not move the tiny sd card from the old to the new centerboard. Can the Phantom fly when the gimbal is disconnected? Do i somehow have to install new firmware to the centerboard? It doesnt give any specific directions on the iphone app.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Mine also like this, except no crashes or damages. The bird woke up after three days sleeping.
You should relink the bird with the RC again.
Try the simulator, working, then good.
Then try taking out the SD card and insert back. or insert another SD card.
My firmware is the latest 179 and the app also the latest.
The bird may wake up.

Given you replaced the main board is it possible the drone needs to be registered with DJI server (like a new one out if the box)?

Mine also like this, except no crashes or damages. The bird woke up after three days sleeping.
You should relink the bird with the RC again.
Try the simulator, working, then good.
Then try taking out the SD card and insert back. or insert another SD card.
My firmware is the latest 179 and the app also the latest.
The bird may wake up.

Thanks i'm going to try these steps.

Given you replaced the main board is it possible the drone needs to be registered with DJI server (like a new one out if the box)?

Yeah maybe, but do you know how to do this? It doesnt prompt a message that says its a new aircraft, or that I have to register it.

You link the rc to the aircraft. See the video from DJI. No need to register

@Sander,
Welcome to the forum!

On a P3S, you won't be able to relink the remote and the bird with out a gimbal, on yours I don't know. ;)

Rod

@Sander,
Welcome to the forum!

On a P3S, you won't be able to relink the remote and the bird with out a gimbal, on yours I don't know. ;)

Rod

Hi! And thanks for your reply. I've been fiddling with it last night. And i'm a bit further now.
I've relinked the RC with the Phantom 3 4K succefully. Thats great because it wasnt linked anymore, and now it is!

Then when I wanted to take off, it shows an alert: Activate aircraft. So basicly everything is connected (besides the gimbal) and should work but it isnt alowing it to take off because it isnt activated/registered. I've tried all kinds of things, reintalling the app (iphone 6) , signing in/out, but it wont let me (re) activate the phantom somehow.

It should come up with a screen to activate, but it wont. Ive chatted with DJI customer support for a couple of hours. Reset the RC and Wifi and tried some other basic steps but nothing. Also i cant downgrade the firmware (it says failed to get firmware at the 10sec hat-icon press) even when its connected.

Then DJI support asked me to format the SD card to probably go and re-update the drone trough that. But since the gimbal is not connected, I cant acces the SD card. So thats where I stopped. I have to repair the black shiny flatcable that runs on the gimbal to hopefuly fully get it back working (the gimbal).

But that doesnt change the fact that I cant activate my phantom aircraft in order to take-off.

Anyone knows how to do this?

Thanks!

Take out the card and format it through your computer. Later on, your app will ask you to format again through the app.
You link the Rc with the aircraft, then without using your phone, you should be able to start the motors and then fly.
Mine hibernate for three days and then wakes up.

Can you use the simulator from the app? If can, should be ok.

Take out the card and format it through your computer. Later on, your app will ask you to format again through the app.
You link the Rc with the aircraft, then without using your phone, you should be able to start the motors and then fly.
Mine hibernate for three days and then wakes up.

Can you use the simulator from the app? If can, should be ok.
How is going to format the SD card without a gimbal, I'm I missing something?

Rod

Hi! And thanks for your reply. I've been fiddling with it last night. And i'm a bit further now.
I've relinked the RC with the Phantom 3 4K succefully. Thats great because it wasnt linked anymore, and now it is!

Then when I wanted to take off, it shows an alert: Activate aircraft. So basicly everything is connected (besides the gimbal) and should work but it isnt alowing it to take off because it isnt activated/registered. I've tried all kinds of things, reintalling the app (iphone 6) , signing in/out, but it wont let me (re) activate the phantom somehow.

It should come up with a screen to activate, but it wont. Ive chatted with DJI customer support for a couple of hours. Reset the RC and Wifi and tried some other basic steps but nothing. Also i cant downgrade the firmware (it says failed to get firmware at the 10sec hat-icon press) even when its connected.

Then DJI support asked me to format the SD card to probably go and re-update the drone trough that. But since the gimbal is not connected, I cant acces the SD card. So thats where I stopped. I have to repair the black shiny flatcable that runs on the gimbal to hopefuly fully get it back working (the gimbal).

But that doesnt change the fact that I cant activate my phantom aircraft in order to take-off.

Anyone knows how to do this?

Thanks!
They way I look at, the app needs to see the gimbals (mac address) and the SD card to be able to register it.

Rod

I am referring to the sd card inside the camera. I took it out and format it with my computer.

I am referring to the sd card inside the camera. I took it out and format it with my computer.

Ok, but to install firmware on the phantom, the phantom must be able to acces the SD in the gimbal right? So thats not possible right now. Ill hope to fix this soon. Thanks for the suggestions tho.

By the way, to download the firmware, you need to change the wifi [from the drone wifi] to your own wifi.
You done that?

But really right now what I want to do is activate the aircraft.. Should be simple right? :-(
Yeah, you would think, but these are not simple devices. To register the Phantom, I think DJI intended that everything would be working.

Rod

How would formatting the sd card in the computer and inserting it inside the camera fix his problem? When he has no camera or gimbal connected to his Phantom.

Rod

Reactions: Phil56
Actually you do not need the gimbal or camera to fly.

Yes, correct, but.
Until the unit is activated he can't fly, that seems to the OP's problem. ;)

Rod

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31