Phantom 4 Reconstruction

Reaction score
I have a very sorry Phantom 4 that a friend gave me after a crash whilst inspecting his cotton crop.
Crash was unobserved but when we went to fly his new replacement DJI drone, we were instantly surrounded by 10 or 12 hawkes and Eagles. We think we might have a hint as to the cause of the crash.

Damage, according to my untrained eye, appears to be propellers, u shaped landing gear and included cables and the camera mount has been snaped off. Camera looks to be undamaged.

I do not intend to spend up big on repairs as it will only a bit of a hobby to me to fix it.

I intend to replace the landing gear and propellers and see if the drone will fly and be controllable. If all good, I can then move on to the camera mount.

I need to know if this drone will fly without a camera?

Any comments and suggestion will be appreciated on this approach.

Reactions: RodPad
Welcome to the forum!

I know a couple members that will maybe going to have real questions and real answers.

My first question is going to be do you have a battery?
Will it Power up?
Then you do have the remote control and any status lights, when both are powered up.

Then I guess somebody going to ask what P4 you have.

I will post a link to @msinger help page.

If you look close there is 3 P4 models.

Rod ..

Welcome to the forum!

I know a couple members that will maybe going to have real questions and real answers.

My first question is going to be do you have a battery?
Will it Power up?
Then you do have the remote control and any status lights, when both are powered up.

Then I guess somebody going to ask what P4 you have.

I will post a link to @msinger help page.

If you look close there is 3 P4 models.

Rod ..
Thanks Rod, I think I have everything except the charger and I should have that in the next day or so.

Battery is about 75% charger and lit things up when I plugged it in.

I am away from home looking after sick relatives and from a technology point of view, I might as well be standing on the moon, hence why I have not investigated further.

Return date to home is up in the air so I cannot go further at this time.

I am just getting a start on the forum to get an idea of what is involved.

I been here a while, I really don't know much about P4s

Most important you replied!
Stay with this thread for your posts!

I'm just a know goofy guy!!
I and other members, just like helping others out.. :)
Pay check is not very good :rolleyes:.

Rod ..

Just briefly reading through this, I’d say your next step is to see if the controller and drone link, and the what error messages you might get on screen. Also, sending to DJI for an estimate may be a good option. You will also be dealing with RID as that P4P is V1 (version 1)

If your charger doesn’t pan out, I have several aftermarket chargers that I don’t need. Cost of shipping only at about 15.00 if it helps.

@Conder
Well I would say about 5% of the crew that I can think of has posted on this thread.

What make this forum special?
What worked and what didn't. 👌

Rod

P4P DIY repair often costs more than it's worth as usually more wrong than what's visual. Legs, props, ribbon cable, about $100 (IF that's all that's needed!), plus tools and a days work. Hopefully it will link and start up before you start throwing $ at it. Pictures of damage would be helpful, including camera and gimble.

Looks like I am going to get 3 or 4 days at home tomorrow so I will get some photos and damage report.

Assuming all suggested works, can the 4p4 fly without a camera.

At this time, I am prepared to invest a $100 or so to get it flyable ( and unlimited time).

I would assume so but, I think
@CR125Honda
Probably has the best question at the moment.

To me that's the start.
If I'm wrong we will all know!!

Rod ..

Some how I thought I had posted after the above but no sign of it.

The update is that this drone has gone in big time. Camera mount broken, landing gear and internal wiring destroyed and it looks like a terrain avoidance camera is missing. I hope it is inside the shell.

Shell has no damage but the seams have been popped. I will have to un do and inspect.

Nasty fan noises when I powered up. Fan in camera shell had popped out of mounting, now fixed. No other damage inside the camera shell. The screws are a challenge, you can see why my other hobbies do not include fine needle work...

I will have to leave post crash damage inspection for a while as it is consuming all my time and other matters await.

I will be on forum asking questions until I get back and on the tools again.

Powering up the drone, controller and screen results in a lot of beeping, farting and flashing lights but I have only done this a couple of times. I have to take time to read the instructions ( as you can tell, all else has failed).

Not sure of the software. seems to be more of a shopping app instead of a flight app. Also do you have to pay DJI to fly?

Esc ribbons from board on small rubber grommets and on any crash the board only move so far working as dampners but can exceed and tear ribbon cables which give the beeping ,sounds like new ribbon cable set for a start,and probably explain some of the flashing
Do you have it open

These are ones I mention and tear very easyATTACH=full]125793[/ATTACH]
Screenshot_20240225-112539_Google.jpg
,,flight control and esc ribbons and that will be the start before looking furthur

PS try keep on 1 thread ,just avoids confusion when trying to follow

As per your other post not heard of diagnostics for public use ,have heard if some places that do but mainly hands on fixing ,DJI does have as part of their diagnosis but means sending it off and come will a big bill considering the damage,
As @Capt KO mention pictures help,someone might have parts and can help but sounds pretty beat up,dont bin it ,some parts be ok ,never have enough spares for phantom

Thanks for the replies. I have only pulled the camera housing out to fix the cooling fan and gone no further.

Rest will have to wait until I can spend more time at home and set up some bench space although I will still be researching.

Next question is how does the drone communicate? Are the aerials located in the destroyed landing gear?

Reactions: LOVE NZ
Thanks for the replies. I have only pulled the camera housing out to fix the cooling fan and gone no further.

Rest will have to wait until I can spend more time at home and set up some bench space although I will still be researching.

Next question is how does the drone communicate? Are the aerials located in the destroyed landing gear?
Yip set yourself up a workspace so everything stays in 1 spot,,
Small Allen keys or torx bits ,sledge hammer lol and open her up or him
Correct antenna and compass in the legs,depending on way it contact ground some dont break wire if it's been fed with slack into the drone but they good at breaking plug off wire or board in landing gear
Screenshot_20240226-170321_Gallery.jpg

I'm sure the black wire compass and grey antenna, compass has white plug
Look around ,prices vary ,I'd send you these but I broke 1 side when stored ,someone might have some and do you a deal,if unsure post some pictures for better advice on what you'll need if you are going to fix,,complete gimble and cam not cheap which be biggest cost ,sometimes better to buy another cheap one for parts but that to can be a gamble

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl