It Finally Happened!

Not much that I can do to help you. The mix of deciduous, conifers, limestone karst and steep shaded cliffs makes for a daunting task. It may have fallen into a deep crevasse that would make it impossible to see by air. I have been reading about the park for hours now. You have a very big task ahead of you. It is a very dangerous place. There are no local rescue teams and yet they want to promote tourism. There is no way to protect nature from hoards of tourist wanting souvenirs. Well, I read the book, I can't wait to see the movie.

Reactions: OOO
Not much that I can do to help you. The mix of deciduous, conifers, limestone karst and steep shaded cliffs makes for a daunting task. It may have fallen into a deep crevasse that would make it impossible to see by air. I have been reading about the park for hours now. You have a very big task ahead of you. It is a very dangerous place. There are no local rescue teams and yet they want to promote tourism. There is no way to protect nature from hoards of tourist wanting souvenirs. Well, I read the book, I can't wait to see the movie.

Thank you. I’ll continue to do search and scan flights in the coming days. You're right about this area being dangerous. It is not even possible to reach many parts of this canyon without helicopters. In some regions, the distance between the rock walls at the bottom of the canyon falls even below 5 meter and vertically goes down 50-60 meters more. A large number of canyoners have died here in recent years, and the bodies of some of them have not yet been seen. Thus, no matter what I do, safety will always be the first priority.
Do you think using FPV goggles will provide a better view? So it makes it easier for me to locate the drone on the canyon walls.

Last edited:
Thank you. I’ll continue to do search and scan flights in the coming days. You're right about this area being dangerous. It is not even possible to reach many parts of this canyon without helicopters. In some regions, the distance between the rock walls at the bottom of the canyon falls even below 5 meter and vertically goes down 50-60 meters more. A large number of canyoners have died here in recent years, and the bodies of some of them have not yet been seen. Thus, no matter what I do, safety will always be the first priority.
Do you think using FPV goggles will provide a better view? So it makes it easier for me to locate the drone on the canyon walls.
Others will have to answer that, I have never used goggles.

Did you fly to those Coordinates?

Rod

Maybe it fell out of the tree already.

Did you fly to those Coordinates?

Rod

Yes, but I could not approach the canyon walls as I wanted because of the recessed structure of the canyon walls and the large number of scattered and deciduous trees and their twigs. Most importantly, the side walls of the canyon are whitish and it is very difficult to recognize a white object (P4P) on it.

Pict01.jpg
Pict03.jpg
Pict02.jpg
Pict04.jpg
Pict05.jpg
Pict06.jpg
Google Earth,
Some different views. :rolleyes:

Rod

Google Earth,
Some different views

Thank you very much. I've been to this canyon many times. I can say very clearly that there is a big difference between the Google Earth map and the actual appearance of this canyon. Numerous details don't even appear on the map. Apple's map is more detailed.

Reactions: RodPad
I fly my P4P using Avegant Glyphs all the time.
There are a couple of things to take into consideration...

a) There IS a lag between the actual flight, and what you see, so GO SLOW around any type of obstruction. eg: cliff wall
b) The camera does not provide a very good sense of distance since it is a wide angle lens. Be VERY aware of that.

With that having been said, YES, I can see things fairly clearly using the goggles that I would otherwise miss entirely if I was just using my 10" tablet.

I fly my P4P using Avegant Glyphs all the time.
There are a couple of things to take into consideration...

a) There IS a lag between the actual flight, and what you see, so GO SLOW around any type of obstruction. eg: cliff wall
b) The camera does not provide a very good sense of distance since it is a wide angle lens. Be VERY aware of that.

With that having been said, YES, I can see things fairly clearly using the goggles that I would otherwise miss entirely if I was just using my 10" tablet.

Thank you. I agree with you. In addition, I can't get a sense of depth in this canyon because of the whitish rocks. If the sensors are not turned on, it is very difficult to estimate the distance to the rocks. But we know that the sensors are also not perfect and have their own limitations, especially when there are small tree branches in the fligjt route. Unfortunately, there are hundreds of scattered trees with small branches hanging from the cliffs in this canyon. Therefore, I cannot rely solely on camera vision and sensors. I have to rely on my own vision rather than the drone and a good binoculars or telescope may help with that.

Last edited:
I really don't know,
At night with that light or bigger and somebody with good binoculars?

I guess is there anything that maybe reflective enough on a Phantom, maybe its stickers?

I do remember we could see that rock without the flashlight, most of those houses and business have lights that light up the beach for awhile every night.

I could tell that the light was hitting it, I tried it a few times and my wife agreed. It was also misty, so I had her move away from me while I tried it a couple more times, just in case I or both of us just wasn't seeing the mist in front of the flashlight.

Rod

Ok,
Since it is dark and I'm curious, I'm going to try some tests.

Results sucked with using the flash light against what I assume is the silver factory stickers on the top of a P3A.

I actually spent more time trying to turn of IR on my PTZ camera system to view and record a better human view.
Oh, and I got snow on the ground, (cold and slippery) I don't think it effected my results. ;) :) :rolleyes:

Rod

Last edited:
  • Love
Ok,
Since it is dark and I'm curious, I'm going to try some tests.

Results sucked with using the flash light against what I assume is the silver factory stickers on the top of a P3A.

I actually spent more time trying to turn of IR on my PTZ camera system to view and record a better human view.
Oh, and I got snow on the ground, (cold and slippery) I don't it effected my results. ;) :) :rolleyes:

Rod

I really appreciate your efforts to help. Thank you very much. Now I have a crop sensor camera and 500 mm telephoto lens on it. I’ll try this method to locate the bird. If I fail to locate it, next tool will be spotting scope with 20-60 zoom.
Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for a comment on the flight log from the masters. Hopefully someone will analyze this file before the weekend and share the results with us.

UPDATE:
Today I found a Nikon Coolpix P1000 camera. This camera has a built-in 24-3000 mm telephoto lens and is able to zoom 125x. I think this zoom level is more than enough. I also have the chance to take pictures and review them later.

Last edited:
I took this picture Monday night before I did the light test to show you the flashlight and a Marco-Polo sitting on the P3A.
I store the Phantom on top the speaker to keep the compass calibrated for my area. o_O
IMG_4531.JPG

I took this picture last night, showing where I Velcro the Marco-Polo locator. You can see the 99% signal and the little arrow pointing towards the tracker.
IMG_4540.JPG

If it takes 5 hrs to hike to the area, I would have hiked it the next morning. If I couldn't find it, it wouldn't be because I didn't have signal. It would be I couldn't get to the spot because of climbing / repelling....

Anyways just giving your thread a bump, would want it to get too quiet.... ;)

Unless you are the OP, If anybody has questions for myself with this product, please post on this old thread.
Anyone Using Trackers

Simple Search :)
Search results for query: marco polo

Rod

I want that flashlight! [emoji33][emoji7]

I'm a flash light and laser nerd!
I took this picture Monday night before I did the light test to show you the flashlight and a Marco-Polo sitting on the P3A.
I store the Phantom on top the speaker to keep the compass calibrated for my area. o_O
View attachment 116002

I took this picture last night, showing where I Velcro the Marco-Polo locator. You can see the 99% signal and the little arrow pointing towards the tracker.
View attachment 116023

If it takes 5 hrs to hike to the area, I would have hiked it the next morning. If I couldn't find it, it wouldn't be because I didn't have signal. It would be I couldn't get to the spot because of climbing / repelling....

Anyways just giving your thread a bump, would want it to get too quiet.... ;)

Unless you are the OP, If anybody has questions for myself with this product, please post on this old thread.
Anyone Using Trackers

Simple Search :)
Search results for query: marco polo

Rod

I want that flashlight! [emoji33][emoji7]

I'm a flash light and laser nerd!
Yip same on that,not had lazers on there yet but would look cool with smoke of fog,it would be a nice straight line of sight,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31