It Finally Happened!

Oh suspense is a killer ain't it,,hope the weather stays on your side and praying hard here for the best outcome.
Keep the updates coming.man this getting like days of our lives and I cant wait for nex t episode :oops:
Best luck

I already borrowed my friend's drone. Next weekend I’ll do a search and scan flight to confirm the location of the aircraft. After confirmation I'm gonna do the rescue operation. Thank you very much for your support. 

Last edited:
I thought it wouldn't be right to do this with someone else's drone. So I'm going to film the rescue operation with my new MP2. It's a bit pricey but at least it'll be my own bird.

Last edited:
That probably won't be strong enough to lift the phantom. I'm pretty sure either another Phantom or an inspire are what you need to lift it. It's only a few hundred feet you have to lift it if you get to that treeline so battery wouldn't be a concern, just flip it into sport mode and it will be a long struggle but you should be able to get the drone back. But yeah the mavic 2 isn't as strong so probably no chance that can help you.

On the other hand it's a really great drone with a really great camera so you'll be happy with it otherwise! [emoji41][emoji106]
I thought it wouldn't be right to do this with someone else's drone. So I'm going to film the rescue operation with the drone shown in the picture. It's a bit pricey but at least it's my own bird.

View attachment 115848

Reactions: OOO
That probably won't be strong enough to lift the phantom. I'm pretty sure either another Phantom or an inspire are what you need to lift it. It's only a few hundred feet you have to lift it if you get to that treeline so battery wouldn't be a concern, just flip it into sport mode and it will be a long struggle but you should be able to get the drone back. But yeah the mavic 2 isn't as strong so probably no chance that can help you.

On the other hand it's a really great drone with a really great camera so you'll be happy with it otherwise! [emoji41][emoji106]

Thank you. Mavic won't be the rescuer drone it is only for filming.

Reactions: Weston Ney
As long as you aren't married you can buy what big boy toys you want. Lol
Get married and see what happens. Lol
My wife is my closest friend and partner in life. I wouldn't change that for nothing. (Did I say that right honey?) Lol

I got the message :)
I had a serious health problem last year and I came back from death. Now I understand the value of health and peace. But this event also taught me not to postpone doing things that make me happy.

Last edited:
I'm married, but have no idea where my wife is... I'll keep buying toys and if she ever comes back there will be no room for her complaints....
But my "buy" finger is sure sore.

I got the message :)
I had a serious health problem last year and I came back from death. Now I understand the value of health and peace. But this event also taught me not to postpone doing things that make me happy.

You are calling the unmanned aerial photography platform a toy? How dare you.

Reactions: Weston Ney
I don't want to be a downer here - just trying to be realistic. I don't think a Drone is likely up to this rescue mission.

Having fished many RC planes out of trees at my RC club I know how difficult this task might be. It is amazing at times how firmly a tree can hold onto an aircraft. So my point is that you will need a drone that is capable of towing a Phantom with ease. Don't forget about the fact that you may need to yank the drone from the tree that is not very willing to give it up. So you will need a drone that is capable of towing several times the weight of a Phantom.

If you do try to use a drone you will need to have some sort of release mechanism to avoid losing the recovery drone.

I have never rescued a drone before but but propellers and landing gear are the two things that trees really like to grab and hold tightly. Since the Phantom has four propellers, it may be firmly stuck in the tree. I hope I am wrong.

A full size helicopter may be your best option although not the cheapest option.

I appreciate your concern for the environment and not wanting to leave human garbage. But the rescue is not going to be cheap. Hopefully some climbers or a heli pilot will see this and come to your aid. I wish there was something that I could do to help you.

Best of wishes to you and your recovery. I look forward to hearing a happy ending.

I don't want to be a downer here - just trying to be realistic. I don't think a Drone is likely up to this rescue mission.

Having fished many RC planes out of trees at my RC club I know how difficult this task might be. It is amazing at times how firmly a tree can hold onto an aircraft. So my point is that you will need a drone that is capable of towing a Phantom with ease. Don't forget about the fact that you may need to yank the drone from the tree that is not very willing to give it up. So you will need a drone that is capable of towing several times the weight of a Phantom.

If you do try to use a drone you will need to have some sort of release mechanism to avoid losing the recovery drone.

I have never rescued a drone before but but propellers and landing gear are the two things that trees really like to grab and hold tightly. Since the Phantom has four propellers, it may be firmly stuck in the tree. I hope I am wrong.

A full size helicopter may be your best option although not the cheapest option.

I appreciate your concern for the environment and not wanting to leave human garbage. But the rescue is not going to be cheap. Hopefully some climbers or a heli pilot will see this and come to your aid. I wish there was something that I could do to help you.

Best of wishes to you and your recovery. I look forward to hearing a happy ending.

I'm assuming,
#1 He is not planning on using a drone to remove it from the tree.
#2 He is going to use his friends drone to check its location and decide the plan.
#3 He is going to use his new bird to film the rescue.
#4 They are going to reppel down to the drone from above and grab it.
#5 I don't believe he is going to be the rescuer If he is filming the event.
But....
If uses the follow me feature, then ignore my thoughts....... :rolleyes: :);)

"Best of wishes to you and your recovery. I look forward to hearing a happy ending." :cool:
Yes to that!

Rod

Reactions: OOO and Weston Ney
Hi guys,
Unfortunately, it finally happened to me. For the last month, I've been busy shooting in a beautiful canyon. I spent 8 full days in this canyon and it was a very nice experience for me both mentally and physically. On the last day, while I was shooting close-up of rock walls, the drone got stuck in a tree. It wasn't a hard hit, and I don't think the drone suffered any serious damage. The drone was in GPS mode with good signal quality and there was no connection problem during the entire flight. The camera was recording until the battery was completely exhausted. There's no one or nothing to blame, it's all my fault.
This canyon is one of the deepest canyons in the world, and the altitude difference between the top and the base is over 1000 meters in some regions. The tree where the drone is stuck is on a rocky peak and is impossible to reach. My phantom was my first love and I was definitely thinking of keeping it forever. Unfortunately, I’ve already lost that chance. But there's something else that upset me more than that. I'm an outdoor enthusiast and nature-lover, and very concerned about the possible damage the drone will cause to the canyon in the future. I'm particularly worried about the possibility of the battery explosion. Is the battery likely to explode in the future? What can be done to prevent this? Thank you in advance for your comments and answers.
OO

this doesn’t say much for the obstacle avoidance does it? i wonder if dji would replace it?

UPDATE:

I conducted a search and scan flight yesterday to locate the drone. I made a total of 6 flights for this job. Unfortunately, I couldn't see the drone, although I knew the coordinates of the last location of the drone, the distance to the take-off point, how high it was from the take-off point, and its position on the map.

There were so many variables in this canyon that made searching difficult and even impossible. I could not approach the canyon walls as I wanted because of the recessed structure of the canyon walls and the large number of scattered and deciduous trees and their twigs. Most importantly, since the side walls of this gigantic canyon are whitish, it is very difficult to recognize a white object (P4P) on it. I think if you take a look at the pictures, you guys will agree with me.

Today I was thinking of doing a few more flights but I couldn't continue because of the rain. I think it might make more sense to first search with a binoculars with a high zoom capability.

Not this time, but I haven't let it go yet. I will surely find a way to get that plastic trash out of there.

If we could locate the drone, we would rescue it with a custom-made drone that was the size of the DJI Matrice drone. Although not very sophisticated, we have also built a handmade rescue mechanism for this drone. If we are not successful with the drone rescue, the second option will be manual rescue, including climbing and rappelling.

In the meantime, I had the opportunity to test my MP2 drone. Compared to my P4P drone, even though I can't get the same enjoyment from my MP2, I can say that MP2 is a much more stable drone than P4P. Also, although the specifications do not say so, in my experience, the flight time of the P4P is significantly longer than the MP2. I cannot give a clear figure, but this difference can be up to 5 minutes or more. These are my initial observations and I may be wrong.

Thank you all for your support!

this doesn’t say much for the obstacle avoidance does it? i wonder if dji would replace it?
OA was on but it did not give any warning. We know this situation and we should not rely solely on OA, especially for DJI drones. This accident was all my fault, so I can't blame anyone.

I think so, but it's worth a try. And it's a lot more fun than sitting at home :)

Time to rescue that drone WITH a drone! HA! Those are the best videos, by the way....<:^)
I agree with you 100 percent :)

MP2_1.jpeg
MP2_2.jpeg
MP2_3.jpeg
MP2_4.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: RodPad
Thanks for the update!

I think I see it, second picture, the tree just below the second squared ridge. ;)

Those pictures are scary!

Wow, really thought you were going to spot it.

Share your log file to the data guys, you know what they can do, they love that stuff and nobody even needs to get out of their chair. :)

I'm sure you were taking video the whole time you were looking. :rolleyes:
Share some of those vids, pictures, somebody might spot something.

I spent a bit of time trying to locate that spot with Google Earth Pro...
I was using the coordinates on picture#2
It Finally Happened!
I really couldn't find the exact location.

I lost a P2V+, spent many hours looking for it, my data was lost before I lost eye contact, I could still see it, hit the forward button on the remote, and it was gone. Could hear it, props on high, hopped in the car, never found it and had remote with me.

I still don't know what happened....
Would love to find it, and the SD card.
I haven't gave up yet..... ;)

Rod

Reactions: OOO and Weston Ney
I'd lend you my astronomy binoculars but they are enormous and heavy and shipping overseas would be ridiculously expensive... Maybe someone you know has a telescope or astronomy binoculars? Here's a tip, if you do find some high powered binos make sure you use them with a sturdy tripod, preferably one with a fluid head, because there's no way you would be able to find and lock on to the tiny drone handheld with high powered binoculars. Maybe you can rent some?
UPDATE:

I conducted a search and scan flight yesterday to locate the drone. I made a total of 6 flights for this job. Unfortunately, I couldn't see the drone, although I knew the coordinates of the last location of the drone, the distance to the take-off point, how high it was from the take-off point, and its position on the map.

There were so many variables in this canyon that made searching difficult and even impossible. I could not approach the canyon walls as I wanted because of the recessed structure of the canyon walls and the large number of scattered and deciduous trees and their twigs. Most importantly, since the side walls of this gigantic canyon are whitish, it is very difficult to recognize a white object (P4P) on it. I think if you take a look at the pictures, you guys will agree with me.

Today I was thinking of doing a few more flights but I couldn't continue because of the rain. I think it might make more sense to first search with a binoculars with a high zoom capability.

Not this time, but I haven't let it go yet. I will surely find a way to get that plastic trash out of there.

If we could locate the drone, we would rescue it with a custom-made drone that was the size of the DJI Matrice drone. Although not very sophisticated, we have also built a handmade rescue mechanism for this drone. If we are not successful with the drone rescue, the second option will be manual rescue, including climbing and rappelling.

In the meantime, I had the opportunity to test my MP2 drone. Compared to my P4P drone, even though I can't get the same enjoyment from my MP2, I can say that MP2 is a much more stable drone than P4P. Also, although the specifications do not say so, in my experience, the flight time of the P4P is significantly longer than the MP2. I cannot give a clear figure, but this difference can be up to 5 minutes or more. These are my initial observations and I may be wrong.

Thank you all for your support!

OA was on but it did not give any warning. We know this situation and we should not rely solely on OA, especially for DJI drones. This accident was all my fault, so I can't blame anyone.

I think so, but it's worth a try. And it's a lot more fun than sitting at home :)

I agree with you 100 percent :)

View attachment 115918View attachment 115919View attachment 115920View attachment 115921

@OOO you are likely more experienced in the beautiful terrain you fly in than most of the people giving you advice and probably know better than anyone the risks and chances at recovering your drone. Good luck in whatever you decide to do. Just knowing that you are concerned about recovering your drone to avoid any possible environmental impact says something about the kind of person you are.

Congrats on your new M2P. I have been considering getting one too, but will wait a bit longer.

Chris

I think I see it, second picture, the tree just below the second squared ridge.
Thank you very much for your comment and support. I haven't given up yet. While searching, I've seen P4P-like white spots on the canyon walls many times, however, every time I approached that area, I realized that I was wrong. As I mentioned in my previous post, there are too many variables in this region that make search and rescue difficult and even impossible, and some of these variables are impossible to control.

I'd lend you my astronomy binoculars but they are enormous and heavy and shipping overseas would be ridiculously expensive... Maybe someone you know has a telescope or astronomy binoculars? Here's a tip, if you do find some high powered binos make sure you use them with a sturdy tripod, preferably one with a fluid head, because there's no way you would be able to find and lock on to the tiny drone handheld with high powered binoculars. Maybe you can rent some?
I totally agree with you. And thank you so much for wanting to help me. I'll try my best to find a good binocular with the features you mentioned.

@OOO you are likely more experienced in the beautiful terrain you fly in than most of the people giving you advice and probably know better than anyone the risks and chances at recovering your drone. Good luck in whatever you decide to do. Just knowing that you are concerned about recovering your drone to avoid any possible environmental impact says something about the kind of person you are.
Thank you very much. I learned most of the things I know about drones and piloting from this forum. I hope I can finally get that plastic trash out of there. This would make me really happy.

Maybe someone can help. Here are some details:
1) Coordinates: 41.725305, 33.069439
2) Distance from the home point: 647 m
3) Altitude difference between the home point and the location of the drone: 112 m
4) I have uploaded the flight log of the crash. I'd appreciate it if the masters could interpret it. Any kind of detail can help me a lot.
5) I only have the remote and I can't see the .dat files there.
6) Due to security reasons in my country Google Earth map is not very detailed. I would appreciate it if someone could send me detailed map images of the drone's location. I would be very happy if these images are at maximum zoom and at different angles. But I think Google Earth maps of this region have a similar resolution, regardless of from which country you're looking at.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

IMG_5427.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RodPad
This is as far in as I can get with google earth without blowing out any useful details.
Although I don't think it is going to help you much.
Screenshot_20191201_170048.png

This is as far in as I can get with google earth without blowing out any useful details.
Although I don't think it is going to help you much.
Thank you. It seems that the resolution of the Google map for this region is quite low. More importantly, the inside of this canyon is certainly not what it appears on the Google map. Apple map looks clearer. The side rock walls of the canyon rise vertically.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl