It Finally Happened!

I took this picture Monday night before I did the light test to show you the flashlight and a Marco-Polo sitting on the P3A.
I store the Phantom on top the speaker to keep the compass calibrated for my area. o_O
View attachment 116002

I took this picture last night, showing where I Velcro the Marco-Polo locator. You can see the 99% signal and the little arrow pointing towards the tracker.
View attachment 116023

If it takes 5 hrs to hike to the area, I would have hiked it the next morning. If I couldn't find it, it wouldn't be because I didn't have signal. It would be I couldn't get to the spot because of climbing / repelling....

Anyways just giving your thread a bump, would want it to get too quiet.... ;)

Unless you are the OP, If anybody has questions for myself with this product, please post on this old thread.
Anyone Using Trackers

Simple Search :)
Search results for query: marco polo

Rod
Tell you what I think I will get one of these,not that I plan to lose it but never know,also handy mayby hidden I shell on inside,mayby,,just had all me power tools stolen so if it going missing it will help me find it,,it say 45 days on battery,,how often do you charge it

Reactions: OOO
UPDATE:
Yesterday I continued my search with the Nikon Coolpix P1000 camera. I took a lot of images where the drone was likely to be. Since the spot I was searching was in the shade, I could not get a clear image at maximum zoom (3000 mm, 125x). I didn't notice anything when I took the photos. However, when I examined the photos at home, I noticed a suspicious object in the image in a few photos. The photos are not very clear. So I'm not sure. I need your help on two issues. I'd appreciate it if you could help.
1) Do you think the white thing seen partially on the tree is a phantom drone?
2) According to the telemetry data, the location of the drone is 650 meters from the departure point and at an altitude of 111 meters. But when I approached this area with a second drone (MP2), I realized that the distance to the home point is about 500 meters and the altitude is about 80-90 meters. Is it normal for the two drones (P4P and MP2) to have so much difference in telemetry data?

DSCN0041.JPG
DSCN0147.JPG
DSCN0148.JPG
Screen Shot.jpg

Last edited:
That looks a lot like a Phantom drone. When it crashed did the video show it flip upside down?
UPDATE:
Yesterday I continued my search with the Nikon Coolpix P1000 camera. I took a lot of images where the drone was likely to be. Since the spot I was searching was in the shade, I could not get a clear image at maximum zoom (3000 mm, 125x). I didn't notice anything when I took the photos. However, when I examined the photos at home, I noticed a suspicious object in the image in a few photos. The photos are not very clear. So I'm not sure. I need your help on two issues. I'd appreciate it if you could help.
1) Do you think the white thing seen partially on the tree is a phantom drone?
2) According to the telemetry data, the location of the drone is 650 meters from the departure point and at an altitude of 111 meters. But when I approached this area with a second drone (MP2), I realized that the distance to the home point is about 500 meters and the altitude is about 80-90 meters. Is it normal for the two drones (P4P and MP2) to have so much difference in telemetry data?

View attachment 116067View attachment 116068View attachment 116069View attachment 116070

That looks a lot like a Phantom drone. When it crashed did the video show it flip upside down?

Yes, I see from the video that it immediately rolled over after hitting the tree, but I can't figure out whether it turned upside down. I've put the video link down, and I'd appreciate it if you could check it out. I wonder if log file analysis can give us some clues about this?

What looks like a drone appears in the first 3 photos (no marking). I added the fourth photo to show the area of that tree (arrow) at wide angle. BTW, I didn't post each photo twice.

Last edited:
Yeh looks like you spyed it,,crash course in absailing coming up,I mean going down,,,man hope you can get

Yes, it looks like it rolled forward. And it looks to me like I see two props poking out of the trees. I think you might be on to something. Hoping you can go back to that same spot and get a closer picture. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Yeh looks like you spyed it,,crash course in absailing coming up,I mean going down,,,man hope you can get

Yes, it looks like it rolled forward. And it looks to me like I see two props poking out of the trees. I think you might be on to something. Hoping you can go back to that same spot and get a closer picture. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Thank you for your support. Since the location of the drone is very close to the rock wall, it does not seem possible to rescue it with another drone. Manual rescue seems to be the only remaining option. Now that I know where the drone is, I'll try to get a closer shot with another drone next time.

WOW.

150 meters (500 ft) Distance
25 meters (80 ft) Elevation
These are from the same home point?

I have always had the concept of GPS accuracy of 10 meters (30 ft).

You have 150 meters (500 ft) distance variation?

Elevation is coming from a barometer, difference in the two birds, that also seems like a lot.

It seems that you are focused on distance and elevation from the home point, to me the home point is going to be the first variable.

If you fly another bird out there I would be focused on the GPS coordinates, they came from the Phantom not the home point.
Should be within 10-20 meters. ;):)

Pictures, well yes that is it. ;):):rolleyes:

With photo software can you edit the image, something like changing the whites to a different color?
My thought is make certain frequency whites in the whole photo different. Take the color of the white which could be the Phantom and alter that color in the whole picture. This may change showing that you are really looking at rock through the tree limbs.
Kind of like black and white, grey scale, etc.

How far do you travel from your house? Share your house coordinates. :D

Wish I was there!!!

Rod

WOW.

150 meters (500 ft) Distance
25 meters (80 ft) Elevation
These are from the same home point?

I have always had the concept of GPS accuracy of 10 meters (30 ft).

You have 150 meters (500 ft) distance variation?

Elevation is coming from a barometer, difference in the two birds, that also seems like a lot.

It seems that you are focused on distance and elevation from the home point, to me the home point is going to be the first variable.

If you fly another bird out there I would be focused on the GPS coordinates, they came from the Phantom not the home point.
Should be within 10-20 meters. ;):)

Pictures, well yes that is it. ;):):rolleyes:

With photo software can you edit the image, something like changing the whites to a different color?
My thought is make certain frequency whites in the whole photo different. Take the color of the white which could be the Phantom and alter that color in the whole picture. This may change showing that you are really looking at rock through the tree limbs.
Kind of like black and white, grey scale, etc.

How far do you travel from your house? Share your house coordinates. :D

Wish I was there!!!

Rod

This canyon is about 110 km from my house. Since the last 20 kilometers of this distance is a dirt road, it takes about 2 hours to get there. Every time I go, I have to be there early in the morning because the sun hits the canyon only in the morning.

The location of the tree with the drone is almost identical to the location obtained from the telemetry data of the P4P. The margin of error is less than 2 meters. In my previous posts, I have marked the location of the coordinates given by P4P on the map. If you look at those pictures, you too will see that the coordinates provided by P4P are very accurate. What I want to say is about the relative distance and altitude of this spot from the home point. Let me try to explain the issue with my poor English. According to the telemetry data from P4P, the distance from the crash site to the home point is approximately 650 meters and the elevation from the home point is 111 meters. The launching spot was the same for both drones. With my MP2 drone, I approached the crash site until I was about 30 meters away. There will be some margin of error, but it cannot be 150 meters. At this point, the telemetry display showed a distance of 470-480 meters and an altitude of 80-90 meters. In other words, if I had flown 650 meters towards the crash site at an altitude of 111 meters from the home point, I would probably have hit the rock wall after flying about 500 meters.

Photo editing? I know a bit about video editing, but I've never done a photo editing before, except auto-correction in Apple Photos :)

Last edited:
"Let me try to explain the issue with my poor English"
Your English is probably better than mine. ;)
My work monitor does look better.
Played around with some basics.
It does look like an object that doesn't fit the scenery.
Feel like I'm looking for a UFO.

ooo13e.JPG

Rod

Added:
Its on the correct side of the tree, amazing that you spotted that. :cool:;)

ooo12e.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: sokolovic and OOO
It does look like an object that doesn't fit the scenery.
Very nice work! Yeah, that's my bird. I'm pretty sure of that now.

Its on the correct side of the tree, amazing that you spotted that. :cool:;)
You helped me a lot in this process. Many thanks. I don't know if the drone is behind or in front of the tree. What do you think?

Last edited:
No problem,

I know you will help me find my P2V+, lost July 2015.
Leave no bird behind. :)
I would like to bring it home, and see what is on the SD card. ;)

"I don't know if the drone is behind or in front of the tree. "
The tree is round. :)

Rod

Reactions: Weston Ney and OOO
I'd rig up one of my custom cinema quad rigs and go get the thing lol
And don't worry about the environmental impact not like youre doing near the damage to the environment a production run of any electronic already has in the first place

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20