It Finally Happened!

My OA has saved me, but I was pushing things a bit. I like practicing my ability to maneuver in tight places.
Have you ever thought about buying a P3 to try to assess the situation and posible recovery. They're cheap.

Reactions: OOO
It is always risky filming something while flying backwards. I crash one P3A two years ago just like you did (branches).
And sensors are effective only at lower speed. At 40 miles/h it won't help. The same is with tiny branches.

I like shooting close-ups and flying in tight places, so I mostly keep the OA off. It was one of the few flights I kept OA and VPS on.

My OA has saved me, but I was pushing things a bit. I like practicing my ability to maneuver in tight places.
Have you ever thought about buying a P3 to try to assess the situation and posible recovery. They're cheap.

Yes my friend, I'm looking for a second drone that can do this job. The weight of the drone including the battery is approximately 1.5 kg. The second drone will have to be able to handle this weight, and possibly more, and carry that weight about 700 meters away. It's not easy.

It's not easy but it's completely possible! I've seen a guy do it before! There's still hope!
Yes my friend, I'm looking for a second drone that can do this job. The weight of the drone including the battery is approximately 1.5 kg. The second drone will have to be able to handle this weight, and possibly more, and carry that weight about 700 meters away. It's not easy.

It's not easy but it's completely possible! I've seen a guy do it before! There's still hope!

I found the coordinates of the drone's location. I think, it is easier than I originally thought to reach the spot where the drone got stuck. It may take 4-5 hour of hiking/climbing and finally 20-30 meters of rappelling to get there.

Dude!

Well what I was going to do.
Have a way to snag it, that would stay hooked.

Use fishing line carry the hook to it, but the line attached to rescue Phantom could pull free, like if where threaded threw a straw and taped to the landing gear (Backup Plan) or a release system.

Then bring the Phantom back to you land it, have somebody keeping the line tight if your flying back with it still hooked up.

If you hook to a branch, etc. If it won't pull loose you make another.

I didn't have a chance to try it, weather work etc. Then the tree let it go. It was working same as yours, tree was 220' tall, I picked of five pieces some parts I never found.

Phantom Eating Tree from Rod Pad on Vimeo

Rod

In that area, the risk is low of any consequences of fire, if that's what you're worried about. It's much less risk than a bolt of lightning on the side of that mountain, which occurs thousands of times a year in rural areas like that. Rocks don't burn well, and the number of trees on the side of that cliff look relatively small. Even if 4 trees burned, nobody would care to investigate a fire in that rugged area. As long as the fire self depletes on the side of that cliff, it's not worth investigation. It's very doubtful you could ever be connected to the incident (if it did happen) because the serial number is next to the battery, so if the battery burned, the serial number would likely perish.

A completelly drained battery has no power at all so it can't explode. You need some source of an enefgy to do that.
Phantom batteries protect themselves to shut down before any cell reaches 3.00V. A depleted Phantom battery to 0% still has enough juice to start a fire with the right conditions. However the right conditions are so remote that the risk is very small, igniting into a fire, as seen on YouTube.

If it was me, I would simply write it off and be happy with the first love that will forever be lost. May it RIP.

For years I have said, if I lose that drone, it will have served it purpose, it did a good job. With no regrets I would simply replace it and move on. Fortunately that hasn't happened to me.

Trying to retrieve that drone is asking for more trouble IMO. Even though a Phantom can barely lift the weight of a Phantom with another Phantom, your time, effort, and risk far outweighs the cost of simply replacing it and moving on, IMO. The location by itself looks far way and high risk, having enough battery to orchestrate and make it back. If a branch was stuck through the landing gear, and you were hooked to it with another drone, you would likely lose the 2nd drone. It's just a bad idea.

Last edited:
Dude!

Well what I was going to do.
Have a way to snag it, that would stay hooked.

Use fishing line carry the hook to it, but the line attached to rescue Phantom could pull free, like if where threaded threw a straw and taped to the landing gear (Backup Plan) or a release system.

Then bring the Phantom back to you land it, have somebody keeping the line tight if your flying back with it still hooked up.

If you hook to a branch, etc. If it won't pull loose you make another.

I didn't have a chance to try it, weather work etc. Then the tree let it go. It was working same as yours, tree was 220' tall, I picked of five pieces some parts I never found.

Thank you for the comment. Based on coordinates it seems that I can reach the spot and recover the drone. BTW, it's a really cool way to save the stuck drones.

In that area, the risk is low of any consequences of fire, if that's what you're worried about. It's much less risk than a bolt of lightning on the side of that mountain, which occurs thousands of times a year in rural areas like that. Rocks don't burn well, and the number of trees on the side of that cliff look relatively small. Even if 4 trees burned, nobody would care to investigate a fire in that rugged area. As long as the fire self depletes on the side of that cliff, it's not worth investigation. It's very doubtful you could ever be connected to the incident (if it did happen) because the serial number is next to the battery, so if the battery burned, the serial number would likely perish.

Thank you for the info.

Trying to retrieve that drone is asking for more trouble IMO. Even though a Phantom can barely lift the weight of a Phantom with another Phantom, your time, effort, and risk far outweighs the cost of simply replacing it and moving on, IMO. The location by itself looks far way and high risk, having enough battery to orchestrate and make it back. If a branch was stuck through the landing gear, and you were hooked to it with another drone, you would likely lose the 2nd drone. It's just a bad idea.

I've already decided to buy a new drone. I'm thinking of buying MP3 or P5, whichever comes first. I guess it's worth the wait. Regarding the risk of fire, I agree with you. Since it is a very cold and rocky area, it is not easy to start fire there. Nevertheless, I do not want to leave a human garbage consisting of a plastic and battery in that untouched place. So I will find a way to get the drone out of there. The only thing I want to get from that drone is the micro sd card in it. There are a few great shots in that card :)

Here's where the drone got stuck (according to the coordinates). The distance between the home point and the drone is approximately 650 meters.

location_map1.jpg
location_map2.jpg
location_photo.jpg

Last edited:
But there's something else that upset me more than that. I'm an outdoor enthusiast and nature-lover, and very concerned about the possible damage the drone will cause to the canyon in the future.

I'm sorry that you lost your drone, but it is refreshing to read that you are concerned about the drones impact on the environment. I have often wondered how the many thousands of unrecovered drones that have been lost in oceans, lakes, rivers and forests over the years will impact the environment in the future as the number of people getting into the hobby increases.

Regardless, it is not worth risking your safety or the safety of others to try and recover your drone.

You said you might wait for a M3P or P5 - what about a M2P at the current Black Friday prices? It is currently listed at US$1379 here in Canada, so that seems like a good deal.

Chris

Here's where the drone got stuck (according to the coordinates). The distance between the home point and the drone is approximately 650 meters.

View attachment 115801View attachment 115802View attachment 115803
If you can get to the top with the drone below you, that would be a great advantage. Possibly a hook and a rope could do it. I made a 3 prong hook out of 316 stainless rods from tig welding. I put it on 30 pound test line with a fishing pole. I could see my drone under the water falls and hook it with a few tries. It stills flies. Of course the battery was no good.

Yeah you might not even need a drone it's right off the edge of that cliff! If you could get to the treeline directly above the drone you might even be able to see it!
If you can get to the top with the drone below you, that would be a great advantage. Possibly a hook and a rope could do it. I made a 3 prong hook out of 316 stainless rods from tig welding. I put it on 30 pound test line with a fishing pole. I could see my drone under the water falls and hook it with a few tries. It stills flies. Of course the battery was no good.

You should make a drone rescue video I would watch it!

I'm sorry that you lost your drone, but it is refreshing to read that you are concerned about the drones impact on the environment. I have often wondered how the many thousands of unrecovered drones that have been lost in oceans, lakes, rivers and forests over the years will impact the environment in the future as the number of people getting into the hobby increases.

Thank you. That's why I'm going to try to find a safe way to get the drone from there.

Regardless, it is not worth risking your safety or the safety of others to try and recover your drone.

I'm not gonna risk anyone's life for a drone. But I will be very happy if I can find a safe way to get that human garbage out of there.

You said you might wait for a M3P or P5 - what about a M2P at the current Black Friday prices? It is currently listed at US$1379 here in Canada, so that seems like a good deal.

Yes, looks like a good deal. But, I live in Turkey and once shipping fee and import taxes is included, the cost will easily exceed USD2000.

I was thinking the same thing, and I think I can do it. The height of that rock wall is approximately 600-700 meters. I'm not going to do that until I find a safe way and make the necessary preparations.

Yeah you might not even need a drone it's right off the edge of that cliff! If you could get to the treeline directly above the drone you might even be able to see it!

May be. But it is really difficult to estimate how deep the canyon is from the picture and the map (about 600-700 meters). Rock walls rise vertically (90 degrees) and therefore a technical climb or rappeling may be needed during the rescue operation.

I'll do my best to film the rescue operation.

Last edited:
I really don't think @WV. Rootman is going to be there.
Maybe you should be there to film it. :rolleyes:

If @OOO, goes after this drone its not just a video production it is real!

Rod

Oh suspense is a killer ain't it,,hope the weather stays on your side and praying hard here for the best outcome.
Keep the updates coming.man this getting like days of our lives and I cant wait for nex t episode :oops:
Best luck

Reactions: OOO and Weston Ney

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub