I agree there is plenty of room for this topic without getting a ticket from the forum police. LOL

Maybe the next step will be a ZOOMING camera that is lightweight, good res. And not troublesome.
Nicely protected from mishaps too would be nice, but then they wouldn't sell as many spare parts or replacement drones that people can't be bothered fixing?
"Nah, mate. can't fix that- it'd cost more than a new 'un"
Zoom is my guess for next stop.

Yes, batteries are expensive, however I have learned to appreciate the intelligence in the battery.
1. Logging how many times it's been charged, so I can "even-out" the charge cycles for my 6 batteries.
2. Telling me if it's charge with a push of a button. It would be a hassle keep track of my 6 batteries without the LED charge level indicators.
3. Equalizing with every charge, at a 1C rate to extend life.
4. Providing me accurate voltages for each cell right in the Go app.
5. Prevents me from using something cheaper that may not have adequate quality, resulting in flight failure. Also prevents DJI to deny warranty coverage due to third party battery.
6. I appreciate the ability to charge to 50-60% in storage mode right after I deplete to 20%, bringing them up to the correct storage level (using DJI cradle) to maximize battery life.
7. The heat sensors are nice. I appreciate the inability to charge the battery until the temperature is low enough to help maximize battery life. I also like the ability to see the temperature level during flight, and the temp ramp history in the flight record.
8. After 3yr of flying DJI I haven't worn out a battery, so I appreciate the quality I am getting, although they are expensive.
Interesting post...would like to learn more about extending battery life and this seems like a lot of good info but not sure what "Equalizing with every charge, at a 1C rate to extend life" entails...thanks

I think of my P4P as my Nikon 750 and my Mavic Air as my iPhone. That being said, I feel a camera with an interchangeable lens will remain in the pro-line (Inspire). The P5 likely will have a zoom capability, be waterproof, have an upward collision avoidance detection capability, and have more flight time. But, like many who are favoring mirrorless cameras because of weight/bulk, I feel the more portable cameras will capture much of the Phantom market. More professional photographers will opt for the DJI Inspire drone line. So, that makes the market for the Phantom a relatively narrow line for those who don't yet know whether then want a very good amateur drone (Mavic line) or a professional drone (Inspire line). Time will tell. As the drone users become more knowledgeable, they will likely know in advance and choose a Mavic or Inspire and opt out of the middle ground. My opinion.

Some of us have plain old Phantom 3s because we can't justify the cost of the "fancier" ones. And we have a great time with them. For most people it is an expensive toy.

I think it likely DJI will continue with a least one model line sporting the familiar body shape. It’s the design that got them started in the lower end market. People instantly think DJI when they see a phantom.

I agree totally - the Phantom series of Drones are here to stay. The Phantom body style is a form of BRANDING for DJI. There will likely be new versions Phantom 5, Phantom 6 coming – perhaps with folding, quiet props, Folding or removable Landing Base, enhanced flying performance, more efficient power-saving electronics, longer flight time, improved transmission range, wireless connectivity to DJI Goggles RE, perhaps a 1x and 2x zoom LENS capability similar in iPhoneX’s lens system, Increase the Pro Plus Display Screen to say 7”. The Phantom 4 Pro Plus is an unbelievable product with a complete kit of goodies, with 4 batteries at under $3000 is quite amazing. As a University (FAU) teaching professional photographer, the 20mp Camera and 4K video with 100 mbps image detail is crazy-amazing. Go to www.416-1100.com to view over 400,000 images in 36 categories, we enjoy over 26 million page visits. Being relatively to drone-photography, we will be creating a Gallery Category displaying our 4K Videos and Still Imaging. JimW

Last edited:
Reactions: AndrewCCM
I’m not sure a 7% sale at one retailer means the end of the phantom line. We should, however, expect the prices to continue to fall or even plummet once the Mavic 2 pro is announced next month as this will mimic what happened to P4 once the original Mavic was announced.

Reactions: AndrewCCM
I think of my P4P as my Nikon 750 and my Mavic Air as my iPhone. That being said, I feel a camera with an interchangeable lens will remain in the pro-line (Inspire). The P5 likely will have a zoom capability, be waterproof, have an upward collision avoidance detection capability, and have more flight time. But, like many who are favoring mirrorless cameras because of weight/bulk, I feel the more portable cameras will capture much of the Phantom market. More professional photographers will opt for the DJI Inspire drone line. So, that makes the market for the Phantom a relatively narrow line for those who don't yet know whether then want a very good amateur drone (Mavic line) or a professional drone (Inspire line). Time will tell. As the drone users become more knowledgeable, they will likely know in advance and choose a Mavic or Inspire and opt out of the middle ground. My opinion.

What may be the biggest factor that will make the Phantom 5 attractive is chip speed. It was subtle, but the new Apple Watch and the iPhone X were improved significantly by both chip speed and battery life. I believe it is chip speed that enables such modes as Cinematic Mode or APAS capabilities in the Mavic Air. It also has, IMO, much better flight characteristics which I believe are enabled by much more frequent assessment of position and inertial feedback. Let wait and see.

I have a P4P+ and love it. But maybe the "Phantom" form factor is done, cooked, old fashion and otherwise yesterday's news. It's body style function was to "Fit it all in" ... Has technology made that requirement as out of place as film cameras. Yes I know people still use film cameras. We also still ride horses.

Just look at the last three drones from DJI. And the ad saying "The Future Unfolds" doesn't say it's only for the Mavic Air.

Can DJI fit it all in a more aerodynamic body like the Air only larger?
Just say'n...
In my opinion the phantom will never die! Long live the Phantom

I think it likely DJI will continue with a least one model line sporting the familiar body shape. It’s the design that got them started in the lower end market. People instantly think DJI when they see a phantom.
One thing I know, while the wind knocks the crap out of the little drones, phantoms fight their way home.

...and it needs to wirelessly plug directly into my brain so my thoughts control it and I see the camera image without any monitor at all!! ;)

Have you played with virtual reality goggles that control a drone? Pretty close to what you want.

In my opinion the phantom will never die! Long live the Phantom
You're right, it's silly to suggest the Phantom is going anywhere.

Although it's too late now, it would have been clever if DJI had branded these craft as birds, from small too large craft. Sparrow, Hawk, Falcon, Eagle, Condor, etc.

You're right, it's silly to suggest the Phantom is going anywhere.

Although it's too late now, it would have been clever if DJI had branded these craft as birds, from small too large craft. Sparrow, Hawk, Falcon, Eagle, Condor, etc.

Yaa that would have been a good idea. Anyhow, I have the p3s and love it. Pretty tough little guy. Am saving for the p4 pro. Can' wait to get it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic