The phantom form has been around for some time now because it works. I think as long as they sell, DJI will make them and they will evolve into I don't know what but I'm sure I will want one. I love my P4 and as long as the next model, what ever shape it has can out shoot, out last(fly time) , and hold in the wind more then what I already have I will consider it my next craft.

Last edited:
All opinions are valid.

It is the Iconic form factor and thus, as others noted, maybe continues but... there is market segmentation which may limit it's evolution so as not to cannibalize other segments. Who knows, it may stagnate as a place holder and survive by reducing the cost to produce and/by leverage hand-me-down improvements to keep it relevant.

The frustrating part for me is proprietary batteries, which except for the P1, relegates the older models to 3rd party offerings and possibly compatibility concerns. While this is not uncommon (ink jet cartridges, etc.) it may be the way they keep prices down by assuring a revenue stream.

You know, I had phantoms since 2015 but sold them when the Mavic came out. I really miss my P4 Pro and am getting one again this week.

I like the convenience of the Mavic but the picture quality is no where near the Phantom 4 Pro, especially at low light.

Reactions: AndrewCCM
All opinions are valid.

It is the Iconic form factor and thus, as others noted, maybe continues but... there is market segmentation which may limit it's evolution so as not to cannibalize other segments. Who knows, it may stagnate as a place holder and survive by reducing the cost to produce and/by leverage hand-me-down improvements to keep it relevant.

The frustrating part for me is proprietary batteries, which except for the P1, relegates the older models to 3rd party offerings and possibly compatibility concerns. While this is not uncommon (ink jet cartridges, etc.) it may be the way they keep prices down by assuring a revenue stream.
Yes, batteries are expensive, however I have learned to appreciate the intelligence in the battery.
1. Logging how many times it's been charged, so I can "even-out" the charge cycles for my 6 batteries.
2. Telling me if it's charge with a push of a button. It would be a hassle keep track of my 6 batteries without the LED charge level indicators.
3. Equalizing with every charge, at a 1C rate to extend life.
4. Providing me accurate voltages for each cell right in the Go app.
5. Prevents me from using something cheaper that may not have adequate quality, resulting in flight failure. Also prevents DJI to deny warranty coverage due to third party battery.
6. I appreciate the ability to charge to 50-60% in storage mode right after I deplete to 20%, bringing them up to the correct storage level (using DJI cradle) to maximize battery life.
7. The heat sensors are nice. I appreciate the inability to charge the battery until the temperature is low enough to help maximize battery life. I also like the ability to see the temperature level during flight, and the temp ramp history in the flight record.
8. After 3yr of flying DJI I haven't worn out a battery, so I appreciate the quality I am getting, although they are expensive.

Last edited:
8. After 3yr of flying DJI I haven't worn out a battery, so I appreciate the quality I am getting, although they are expensive.

You’re lucky. My P4P came with DOA battery and I just received a brand new OSMO Mobile 2 that won’t charge past 56%. My track record with DJI “Intelligent” batteries hasn’t been the same unfortunately.

You’re lucky. My P4P came with DOA battery and I just received a brand new OSMO Mobile 2 that won’t charge past 56%. My track record with DJI “Intelligent” batteries hasn’t been the same unfortunately.
I hope you got warranty replacement OK. Your experience is identical to mine (and others) with P4P craft. There's a chance you'll get a bad one, but once you get a good one they're pretty awesome. DJI does a great job designing incredible hardware, but on the manufacturing side they don't do a good job of test and inspection of their hardware before boxing.....IMHO.

I hope you got warranty replacement OK. Your experience is identical to mine (and others) with P4P craft. There's a chance you get a bad one, but once you get a good one they're pretty awesome. DJI does a great job designing incredible hardware, but they don't do a good job of test and inspection of their hardware before boxing.....IMHO.

I did. B&H sent me a replacement that took 10 days to complete. However, I did get a “free” spare as part of the sale. The OSMO2 actually finally charged to 100% after 14hrs (according to TS, it was supposed to only take 2). I haven’t had it long enough to test it again (just got it Friday). Need to run the battery down and do another charge. Cool gadget for sure... Take care!

Sorry, but i think the wave of the future is small, compact, and sleek looking. Big performance in small package.

Sure, for a certain market segment.

But drones will be as diverse as the markets support.

I flew the I1, P4P, Mavic Pro and Mavic Platinum today. Also brought the Spark and a few others not worth mentioning. The Inspire is a treat to fly, gets the most looks (not always a good thing) and while the X3 is dated now, it does a fine job.

P4P camera is the best of course, but the drone is loud and takes up a lot of space and weight if you're on foot. Not for every day.

Both Mavics have Platinum props, and both may as well have been invisible because they're so quiet. Nobody gave either a second look and I went through 3 batteries undisturbed.

If the Mavic Pro 2 has P4P camera performance in a folding package with the claimed 30+ min flight time, it'll be a winner.

As for flight time, the most I've seen on the p4p is 28min. Both my MP and MPP will better that, and the MPP will hover for over 30min.

Something that is overlooked about the Mavic Air is that it does not get as many sats as my phantom 4 Pro, not even close I get double what I get on the air and in some cases cannot fly at all in GPS mode, to me this is critical as I need to be able to rely on getting a signal. My test is if I cannot fly with GPS in the house than, the drone is going back. Air cannot hold a GPS signal for more than about 1 minute.

I also like to test flying in my Car , this is also a great test and one that is over looked.
I do very much like the auto features on the air and have been practicing them using the Phantom.

300x100rev2.gif

I don't need nor want whatever the P5 segment will be, but I'm still very interested, being in the DJI drone hobby. I don't care if it flies by satellite link, flies for an hour, has an 8k 360 deg camera, has obstacle avoidance on all sides, has 50 flight modes, etc., it will be too expensive for me anyway. I would only be interested if I ever go 107 for commercial or service work.

Also, the supposed Mavic Pro II with a better camera and rear OA will probably eclipse the P5 as a hobbyist drone as it duels it out with the Mavic Air and its future generations.

Something that is overlooked about the Mavic Air is that it does not get as many sats as my phantom 4 Pro, not even close I get double what I get on the air and in some cases cannot fly at all in GPS mode,
In that case, something is not right as the Mavic Air uses GPS + Glonass satellites.
Either your Air is malfunctioning or you are trying it in a bad location.
What are the numbers like when you put it up in the air, clear of things that block its skyview?

This is just like saying that because the Colorado has become so much better, it's going to replace the Silverado 3500 series.

In that case, something is not right as the Mavic Air uses GPS + Glonass satellites.
Either your Air is malfunctioning or you are trying it in a bad location.
What are the numbers like when you put it up in the air, clear of things that block its skyview?
Maybe I'm missing something but he said he's getting GPS in his house , LOL
"My test is if I cannot fly with GPS in the house than, the drone is going back. Air cannot hold a GPS signal for more than about 1 minute. "

Maybe I'm missing something but he said he's getting GPS in his house , LOL
"My test is if I cannot fly with GPS in the house than, the drone is going back. Air cannot hold a GPS signal for more than about 1 minute. "
In the house is a very dodgy way to judge GPS reception.
If the roof is metal, it's going to block most sats leaving just a few low level sats to be received through walls/windows.
If the Phantom was closer to a window when tested and/or there were a lot of sats in the visible part of the sky that can make a lot of difference too.
If there are/aren't many sats low enough it can have a big effect on the test results.
It makes a lot more sense to judge GPS performance on how it works in the flying environment than an artificial environment where you'd expect reception to be poor anyway.

Sorry, but i think the wave of the future is small, compact, and sleek looking. Big performance in small package.
I think you may be right. However, I prefer the larger size so I can fly VLOS.
I would also mention the parallel we had when I was a pro photographer. Cameras, indeed smart phones, pack a great gb punch now. 12mb camera was one of the first I started using when I swapped to digital. Of course if I turned up to do a wedding with just my iPhone I would have been laughed off.
Now it may not be the case with Drones but for a lot of people size matters because it looks professional.

I really like the Phantom 4 line. I have 2 Phantom 4's and a Phantom 4 pro I got for 1243 USD on special. The P4's for 760-800 and P4P 1243 get you lots of bang for the buck, very high quality product I wonder if they are too good for thier own good at these price points and they get rid of it keeping the Inspire as the lowest priced pro format. then Mavic line for the rest.

I bet Phantom 4 sales eat into their higher end lines like the Inspire.

I bet Phantom 4 sales eat into their higher end lines like the Inspire.
I2 and P4P are for different markets. Sure P4P can do some things almost as good a I2, and many things better. But the I2 can do certain things P4 cannot, at all. I2 models and up are for professional applications, and they cost more for the increased capability for payload. Frankly, I2 and higher are way more time consuming to transport, assembly, fly, and maintain. You really need to have a good reason for an I2 (or highter) to justify the cost.

P4P can be toted around anywhere very simply in a backpack, and deliver near professional results, what I'd call a "Prosumer" drone IMO. Try taking an I2 on vacation with you, it's a real hassle in a hard case, and when you get to where you're going you'll need a car to take you to the launch site. You can't backpack or bike with an I2 on your back very easily. P4P clearly has its market niche, which happens to fit my needs perfect, at this time. I think you'll see DJI evolve Phantom for another several years IMO. There's plenty they can do to improve the design, it just depends on what DJI chooses to do.

Last edited:
It's really different markets. Sure P4P can do some things almost as good a I2, and many things way better. But the I2 can do things P4 cannot, at all. I2 and up are professional applications, and they cost more. Frankly, I2 and higher are way more time consuming to transport, assembly, fly, and maintain. You really need to have a good reason for an I2 to justify the cost. P4P can be toted around anywhere very simply in a backpack, and delivery near professional results, a "Prosumer" drone IMO. Try taking an I2 on vacation with you, it's a real hassle in a hard case, and when you get to where you're going you'll need a car to take you to the launch site. You can't backpack or bike with an I2 on your back very easily. Phantoms clearly have their role and niche. I think you'll see them evolve Phantom for another several years IMO. There's plenty they can do to improve the design, it just depends on what DJI chooses to do.

Thats the thing, how much of the Market is the P4P good enough. The footage of the P4 is quite amazing (I have not flown my P4P yet) so I could only imagine how good the P4P footage is. For the majority of people it is probably good enough to make the Inspire not worth the price difference and extra work involved.

You are talking 3339 USD for an Inspire 2 with a Camera VS 1240 USD for a P4P.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl