iPad Mini + cellular for professionals

Go with:

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi,

we all know that - for all those folks that can afford it - the iPad + cellular models are the way to go because of the GPS sensor and ability to DL the maps, I would ask:

how many professional pilots shoot with an iPad Mini Retina? Of course a bigger screen is better, but thieved Air doesn't fit into the DJI hardshell backpack, so I'm looking to the Mini to fit everything into the pack.

Is it usable?

Thanks to all those who will answer.

I have the Mini 3 with Cellular and it has worked flawlessly. I also have the Hoodie which is perfect for storing.

Reactions: ActionDrone
The iPad Mini screen size is perfect for me. I know many people like the iPad Air too, but the size seems to be a little too much. It's also nearly double the weight of an iPad Mini 4.

Reactions: ActionDrone
I have a mini 3 cellular and it works great. I am upgrading to the 4 I hopes that the anti reflective glass helps. I'm thinking of selling my 3 64gb if anyone is interested? :)

The iPad Mini and the iPad air have the exact same screen resolution. And now the iPad mini 4 has the exact same processor. So do you like dense pixels, or blurry? Do you like heavier or lighter? It's obvious get the mini.

I myself ordered the Mini 4. Says it deliveries between the 15th–17th

Hi,

we all know that - for all those folks that can afford it - the iPad + cellular models are the way to go because of the GPS sensor and ability to DL the maps, I would ask:

how many professional pilots shoot with an iPad Mini Retina? Of course a bigger screen is better, but thieved Air doesn't fit into the DJI hardshell backpack, so I'm looking to the Mini t tho fit everything into the pack.

Is it usable?

Thanks to all those who will answer.

iPad Air only has a larger screen in size. It's the exact same resolution as the mini, just the pixels are larger. Same image ;-)

If the Air 2 does not fit in your case, the Mini 4 is a fine solution. The Mini 4 is much better than the older Mini 2/3 and should have the same performance of the Air 2 including the outstanding anti reflective coating.

I use an Air 2 and have loved it. It fits in the holder and isn't at all too big, especially since I don't need a sunshade. I love the very sharp IPS screen that you don't get with the Mini. It's just 1.3 inches wider than a Mini 4. Also, the Air 2 weighs a bit less than 5 ounces more than a Mini 4. Not very noticeable really. You can also get an Apple refurbished Air 2 for less than a new Mini 4.

I guess your decision rests with if you want something to fit in your case.

Last edited:
I have the mini 2 32 gig.wifi cellular but no data package. Does that mean I can't use GPS. Getting me p3a on Wednesday.

Reactions: mirrorimage
I have an iPad Air 2 (wifi only) that I've been using with the Go app. Ordered mini 4 with cellular to get GPS. Hopefully, the screen size is adequate or I'll have to get another Air 2 but with cellular.

I have the mini 2 32 gig.wifi cellular
I have an iPad Air 2 (wifi only) that I've been using with the Go app. Ordered mini 4 with cellular to get GPS. Hopefully, the screen size is adequate or I'll have to get another Air 2 but with cellular.
Don't forget you can always get an external GPS for a wifi only tablet. External GPS is more accurate than the built in GPS. Plus, if you have external GPS you can upgrade your tablet over time and not need to spend extra to get the cellular version each time you upgrade.

Reactions: Justin Namon
Don't forget you can always get an external GPS for a wifi only tablet. External GPS is more accurate than the built in GPS. Plus, if you have external GPS you can upgrade your tablet over time and not need to spend extra to get the cellular version each time you upgrade.

You mean caching maps with wifi at home before to fly?

You mean caching maps with wifi at home before to fly?
Yes. Most people with a wifi only device who don't tether will cache maps at home before they fly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic