Greeting from Oregon USA.

Reaction score
Hey folks
An old dog just getting into drones. Purchased a Mavic Mini just before the pandemic hit and now I am hooked. Having a limited budget, I am taking it one step at a time. I took and passed my part 107 in December with a 95%.
I am now jumping in and ordered a a Phantom 4 Pro V2 (and made hotel reservations on the coast to smooth things over with my wife, she wasn’t happy). My 1st real drone job, a wedding, is planned on May 1st so I hope to be out practicing every day before then with my new rig, I am hoping to get off to a good start in the business, I will still work full time in my 'day' job as I improve my pilot skills until I retire in a few years (or start making enough money wit the drone to afford medical insurance on my own). Not sure what I will specialize in, I love the great outdoors, but ducks and beavers do not pay very well. They said you can't teach an old dog new tricks, this old vet hopes to prove them wrong.

Any tips. hints, encouragement (yes I am a bit nervous), advice, is welcomed.. or just say hi.

Short video I shot with the Mini:

My set-up will be:
Main Drone: Phantom 4 Pro V2
Backup: Mavic Mini v1
iPad Mini v5. (I felt this was a better value than the dedicated DJI screen)

I have the following apps loaded:
B5UFly
AirMap
Kittyhawlk
DJI Go 4
Litchi
UAV Forcast
Map Pilot Pro

Google Earth
Google Maps

To assist with photography: PhotoPills
For on the spot video editing: LumaFusion

On my PC I have:
DaVinci Resolve
GIMP
LightZone
Raw Therapee

Also installed is the DJI Flight Simulator (It rains a lot here and I still want to practice)

Last edited:
Welcome. Being new to drones, you might not know that you must be FAA Part 107 Certified to be able to do commercial work -- like shoot weddings. Figured I would give you a heads up. Good luck with your endeavor. You obviously have a good eye for framing and composing the videos. I like the music choice too.

Last edited:
Welcome. Being new to drones, you might not know that you must be FAA Part 107 Certified to be able to do commercial work -- like shoot weddings. Figured I would give you a heads up. Good luck with your endeavor. You obviously have a good eye for framing and composing the videos. I like the music choice too.
Thanks, worked really hard to make the video short and show off the area.
I also learned to be aware of small private airports in that shoot. After a close call with a small plane I went out and picked up a radio scanner (Uniden BC125AT) so I can monitor air traffic. (I thought filing LAANC beforeI took off was enough, this is a learning experience)
I got my 107 a few months ago. Currently I am researching State and National Parks, 60% of my state is government owned. So far it looks like we do not have any 'drone laws' for Oregon state owned lands (indirect laws apply: disturbing wildlife or guests. Looks life the US Forest Service has lightened up on their rules a bit, but they are still a bit confusing to me.

Yep still have to keep your eye out for air traffic, even in LAANC cells. No telling how low an approach might actually be by someone flying into the airport. I happen to live in a 400' cell and don't dare put my P4P into the air on Memorial Day when all types of aircraft are taking off and landing for the holiday airshow at the shore. The Blue Angels tend to come up on you quickly and out of nowhere.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . ?

Thanks, worked really hard to make the video short and show off the area.
I also learned to be aware of small private airports in that shoot. After a close call with a small plane I went out and picked up a radio scanner (Uniden BC125AT) so I can monitor air traffic. (I thought filing LAANC beforeI took off was enough, this is a learning experience)
I got my 107 a few months ago. Currently I am researching State and National Parks, 60% of my state is government owned. So far it looks like we do not have any 'drone laws' for Oregon state owned lands (indirect laws apply: disturbing wildlife or guests. Looks life the US Forest Service has lightened up on their rules a bit, but they are still a bit confusing to me.
Drones are a little noisy for many wedding shots. So, it has limited use.

Reactions: rattydude77
Drones are a little noisy for many wedding shots. So, it has limited use.
I will not fly during the ceremony, will get a slow follow shot of the bride as she approaches the alter.. then land, It is a country wedding on a farm, I think I can get some great shots of the venue.. things like the couple or wedding party walking down a dirt road, maybe standing in a field. I will try to tell the story of the day. Figure I will plan about dozens of awesome shots and with any luck I will be able to pull a few of them off. Being new, I tend to shoot way too much and waste too much time trying to pick those perfect shots. Hope to connect with the photographer in the next week or two.

Nicely done video Dan & welcome to the forum. Have you looked into getting some liability insurance? I don't believe it's required in the USA but if working commercially and around people it would probably be a good idea. Here's a couple of sites for reading, link1, link2, not sure how recent the first one is. Good luck with your venture! ?

Being new, I tend to shoot way too much and waste too much time trying to pick those perfect shots.
More is always better than less. It's always a let down to think afterwards "Darn. I should have captured that." My advice would be to capture as much as you can during any one-time special event. Good luck.

Nicely done video Dan & welcome to the forum. Have you looked into getting some liability insurance? I don't believe it's required in the USA but if working commercially and around people it would probably be a good idea. Here's a couple of sites for reading, link1, link2, not sure how recent the first one is. Good luck with your venture! ?
Thank you for the links. I have been looking into coverage for the past few weeks. I will most likely go with Verifly (Thimble) or Skywatch.ai on-demand hourly or monthly until I get established.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Welcome to the drone world, Dan. I'm an older RC fellow as well. Cut my teeth flying slope gliders in So Cal. I'm also an Oregonian (transplanted). With 3Putts, you, and I, we pretty much have the coast covered. Depoe Bay here.

Cheers

Reactions: 3putts and Mavikhan
nice endeavour..word of caution while flying on ANY environment and regardless of aircraft capabilities such as anti collision sensors...do always fly in line of sight. if you lock your self in the immersive flight of fpv you will lose many references that can quickly get you in a lot of trouble. when I fly weddings and parties I never fly above 300 ft , dark or near people or vehicles if that can be avoidable. DEFINETELY keep away from airports at ALL times no exceptions. thats a recipe for a almost trouble free job routine. and a happy ending doing your editing quickly and efficiently. happy flying friend

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20