I lost it.. :((

Reaction score
Yup not my keys but my P4P, I went out early this morning to get first light on the NYC skyline over the Hudson River and I think I know what I did wrong also if its wrong cause I still had 14 satalites and full bars at 10,000 + feet out but there's a slight turn in the river where I'm not exactly in a straight line with the copter and I received a "aircraft disconnect" warning and that was the end of it ,I went up to the area where I knew it was last just in case it landed on one of the docks but that like finding a needle in a haystack ,if anything its in the Hudson :(( Do they sink ? I was under the impression that if there's a signal loss it RTH but that didnt happen .. How common is this ?? Do credit card extended warranties cover this type of accident?
After a few days of mourning I'll get another one

Last edited:
Really sorry to hear of your loss [emoji22] did you check healthy drones to get any info of a bad compass error ? Not sure why it didn't RTH unless it was set to just hover when signal was lost. Really hope you find it. Don't Give up, I lost mine and found it the next day and more people have too. Scan the area, even ask in buildings just in case it landed on a balcony. Keep us updated

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: hotashes
( Do they sink ? I was under the impression that if there's a signal loss it RTH but that didnt happen .. How common is this ?? Do credit card extended warranties cover this type of accident?
After a few days of mourning I'll get another one
First up, you need to learn what went wrong so that you can make sure that won't happen again.
The Phantoms are by now quite sophisticated and refined and it's uncommon for one to just disappear.
And yes, they sink - like a stone.

Go to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.

Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone here might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident and perhaps pinpoint where it went down.

Really sorry to hear of your loss [emoji22] did you check healthy drones to get any info of a bad compass error ? Not sure why it didn't RTH unless it was set to just hover when signal was lost. Really hope you find it. Don't Give up, I lost mine and found it the next day and more people have too. Scan the area, even ask in buildings just in case it landed on a balcony. Keep us updated

Thanks , I was over the Hudson River the only chance is if it crashed on a pier ,I know its good to think positively but .....

First up, you need to learn what went wrong so that you can make sure that won't happen again.
The Phantoms are by now quite sophisticated and refined and it's uncommon for one to just disappear.

Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone here might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident and perhaps pinpoint where it went down.
OK ,I will

"Like a stone" LOL this makes me feel good in some sick kinda way knowing that at least someone wont get there hands on it

Reactions: Philipt65
OK ,I will

"Like a stone" LOL this makes me feel good in some sick kinda way knowing that at least someone wont get there hands on it
Lol I understand what you mean lol. But you will be surprised at how many times I heard of people losing their drones only to get it back days later. Don't give up just yet, and if the worse does happen and you find it not working... Then you got a cool trophy to hang on your wall. That's what I will do if mine goes wrong lol But keep looking mate.. way to soon to give up

Sorry to hear you lost your drone :-( I had exact same thing happen to me on my second flight, 500 metres away and lost signal, I was crapping myself, luckily for me it went into RTH and came back, why it lost signal I don't know, clear line of sight ????

But why the drone didn't return with RTH function? Maybe when he started the ascending has crashed into a tree, or bridge, who knows where is the bird in these moment... sadly they don't have OA on top!

Oh, and didn't follow the same flight path like DJI say with a 3d mapping and blabla (maybe this happens in beginner mode only? )

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk

But why the drone didn't return with RTH function?
There are several possibilities but without seeing the flight data, we can only guess.
Some common reasons are flying downwind in a wind that is too strong for RTH or flying around behind a building or other obstacle and having the Phantom RTH through the obstacle.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: rockydog
That sucks, sorry to hear it.

It's possible that it was set to hover in position instead of RTH upon signal loss, in which case it would have hovered until low battery and then landed (hopefully not on water.) So if that's the case it's possible it's sitting somewhere waiting to be found. But the default setting is RTH upon LOS, unless you changed it.

Another possibility is the 'altitude increase on RTH' bug (only occurs if you are flying above the preset RTH altitude) in which case the unit would have gained a lot of altitude in nearly two miles, but even in that case the unit still does RTH so you should have been eventually able to regain control.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your loss. You can't be "under the impression " of how the Phantom works. You need to KNOW how it works. Just guessing, you lost contact, RTH ensued and ran into something because your RTH was set lower than the intervening structure(s), primarily whichever one caused you to disconnect in the first place. It also, as has been noted, could be that your settings on disconnect instructed your Phantom to hover. What action did you have set for signal loss/disconnect?

Last edited:
Reactions: captainmilehigh
RTH ensued and ran into something because your RTH was set lower than the intervening structure(s), primarily whichever one caused you to disconnect in the first place.
In that case it should have detected the obstacle and gained altitude, but of course that's only if CA was turned on.

Reactions: Gervin and Pharm
You can't be "under the impression " of how the Phantom works. You need to KNOW how it works. Just guessing, you lost contact, RTH ensued and ran into something because your RTH was set lower than the intervening structure(s), primarily whichever one caused you to disconnect in the first place. It also, as has been noted, could be that your settings on disconnect instructed your Phantom to hover. What action did you have set for signal loss/disconnect?

Absolutely correct. The user manual is key to it all.........and the section on RTH......All Three Pages of it......must be read and understood. If settings are incorrect, usually the outcome is not good.

Good luck finding it tho. Upload those flight records so we can help you find it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Absolutely correct. The user manual is key to it all.........and the section on RTH......All Three Pages of it......must be read and understood. If settings are incorrect, usually the outcome is not good.

Good luck finding it tho. Upload those flight records so we can help you find it.

Yeah I'm trying to figure out how to do that via iTunes now ...[emoji854]

This aint easy on a PC

OK I'm kinda stuck on something in itunes the DJI app is in my purchased apps but not showing in my apps and even after I do the transfer purchased apps thing they still dont move to my apps list ,I'm on a pc if that matters, once I figure this out I'll post it

Dang this sucks man! Hate to hear your bad news man. Do you remember if you had your RTH setting to Hover instead of come back to you? Just saying, 10,000ft out around city at all is gonna be pretty sketchy im guessing. You said you had no direct line to your transmitter. Does that mean you went behind buildings or just other stuff between you and transmitter? That far out you really want to have a clear shot to your bird I'm guessing. It still should return home if it's set right though. Good luck and hope you find it.

Reactions: hotashes

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z