I crashed my drone this morning

That's a great question. I really need the correct advice on what to do with this 140.00 battery. My instinct it to take it to a safe place to trash it.

That's a great question. I really need the correct advice on what to do with this 140.00 battery. My instinct it to take it to a safe place to trash it.
In your picture it appears as if the label is damaged.
Is the battery's plastic case warped?

5d405c9c87101822535959a48bb3ce06.jpg
924598904965266d14390cfc9e71ff8b.jpg

Just that little ding and the crumpled label. It doesn't appear to be warped.

The dent could actually kill one of the lipo's. It may be connected and register that it's working but be careful... It may shorten out. I have the same situation with my electric unicycle. Damaged cell, it still works but the battery damage knocks off 15 extra mins of riding but it still registered as a full battery on start up.

My fear is not actually your battery bursting in flames... But you flying it, getting a critical voltage drop and the bird falls from the sky.

Remember... Starting the motors up is nothing compared to going full throttle flying as far as the battery is concerned.

If you let it run and it's fine, don't assume it's fine to fly. Practice in an open field. Not putting a downer on you mate, just don't want you to go through the guilt of hurting someone or damaging property and getting sued

Tether it down and full throttle. :eek:
Watch the battery page. ;)

Rod

Good advice. My plan all along wasto take it to the proper recycling center and replace it with a new one. Even if it worked it would be constantly on my mind that it could fail, not a risk not worth taking for me.

Yea, it is my understanding that lipo internals are delicate. Apparently there is a very thin film inside that keeps them from shorting.

Good advice. My plan all along wasto take it to the proper recycling center and replace it with a new one. Even if it worked it would be constantly on my mind that it could fail, not a risk not worth taking for me.
1506628771010230704901.jpg
this one of me spare batt,tryed to open to see ,plastic case very tight,looks like bit of eletronics under there,yip be safe in case it cracked board,

Don't get rid of it... Use it as a spare battery just for updates [emoji4]

Saves using the main ones you have

If your looking to make something on it id buy it from you I seriously doubt its damaged internally I've purposely destroyed these batteries and do so to dispose of them when they are not holding a charge anymore. I would never give you bad advice especially with something as dangerous as these batteries can be, just press the button to power the batteries PCB up it doesn't need to be in the drone to do that its how you check the BSOC if it lights up and turns on I'm betting its just fine. the PCB in the battery is there to prevent it from overcharging over discharging and also has memory this is why you can see how many times its been charged in the app it also has a discharge circuit. again ill buy the thing from you that's how confident I am that its ok.

@Newbieguy

I have been using the bad batteries for non flying, etc.
Down loading videos / pictures, IMU cal and or testing, checking if the litchi missions loads correctly, just stuff. ;)

As I stated you can watch the battery cells, and compare it to a good battery.

These were a couple of posts when I was playing and or determining if the batteries were bad, what got my attention was motor overload message.
The logs in my posts are now to old, but you can get the idea how to test on a load.

Standard - Bought 2nd hand Phantom 3 Standard with no RC unit and charger
Motor Overload Question

My P3S had some similar messages stating power to motors has been reduced because currant draw (something like that) o_O
It was because it was full throttle into the wind. It wasn't with these two batteries, I didn't have them yet.

Sorry that a bunch of us keep confusing you with our thoughts.

Your first thought is usually the best.

Rod

Reactions: epicdoom
@Newbieguy

I have been using the bad batteries for non flying, etc.
Down loading videos / pictures, IMU cal and or testing, checking if the litchi missions loads correctly, just stuff. ;)

As I stated you can watch the battery cells, and compare it to a good battery.

These were a couple of posts when I was playing and or determining if the batteries were bad, what got my attention was motor overload message.
The logs in my posts are now to old, but you can get the idea how to test on a load.

Standard - Bought 2nd hand Phantom 3 Standard with no RC unit and charger
Motor Overload Question

My P3S had some similar messages stating power to motors has been reduced because currant draw (something like that) o_O
It was because it was full throttle into the wind. It wasn't with these two batteries, I didn't have them yet.

Sorry that a bunch of us keep confusing you with our thoughts.

Your first thought is usually the best.

Rod
Agree with all of this, If your not comfortable using the battery that's your choice and I'm happy to purchase it from you so your not at a complete loss just trashing it. you could also just send it to DJI to test or send it to me, Ill test it and send it back to you. free of charge. I can load test it for voltage drop, amp draw and battery sag. I've been in the hobby for 35 years and am well known and respected on RCGroups forum for electronics work and aircraft from scratch builds. I was also a Moderator for HPI Rc racing forum for many years.

Reactions: Neon Euc
I laid 1 street bike down and several dirt bikes. Riding the trails absolutely helped my road riding skills. I've owned 6 different dirt bikes in my lifetime my biggest mistake was buying a CR 500. I'm a gung ho SOB, when no laws apply I ride it like I stole it. Clocked that CR 500 at 135 mph on blacktop by my uncle who was at the time Harford co police officer. He told me I'll be attending your funeral if you keep that thing so please get rid of it. didn't listen and yep I rode it hard even in the woods on tiny trail systems up shale hill faces, jumped every thing I could including 4 sets of train tracks and the Patapsco River. Needless to say I dropped that bike a bit a few times. The last time I was riding wheelies had just got into 3rd gear and a deer ran across the dirt road I was on I laid the bike over broke my left hand and wrist up real nice and was picking gravel bits out of my knees and elbows. I ride street bikes with respect and very gently lol
The bad thing about all that abuse we do to our bodies when we are young is it all comes back to haunt us in our senior years. I know, I speak from experience!

Reactions: epicdoom
The bad thing about all that abuse we do to our bodies when we are young is it all comes back to haunt us in our senior years. I know, I speak from experience!
Those are true words Brother At 51 Years of age my back is trashed knees trashed elbows and wrists trashed. getting out of bed in the morning is a major event. lol I work out to keep my muscles strong and stay fit, but man is that a daunting task.

I may be subconsciously flying dangerously with my P3 4k so I'll crash it, get the insurance and buy a P4 Pro (with collision avoidance). A lot of cool video clips require you to fly close to objects to create some drama. Broke a couple props this morning landing on a somewhat unlevel rock island in the middle of the river. Very windy on the Potomac this a.m. These pics are from last week (actually frames captured from video in this case).

Attachments

• violettes_1.9.1.jpg
    violettes_1.9.1.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 295
  • violettes_1.9.2.jpg
    violettes_1.9.2.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 268
  • violettes_1.3.13.jpg
    violettes_1.3.13.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 281
Reactions: epicdoom and KentA
I may be subconsciously flying dangerously with my P3 4k so I'll crash it, get the insurance and buy a P4 Pro (with collision avoidance). A lot of cool video clips require you to fly close to objects to create some drama. Broke a couple props this morning landing on a somewhat unlevel rock island in the middle of the river. Very windy on the Potomac this a.m. These pics are from last week (actually frames captured from video in this case).
There is an empty yellow kayak behind you. Were you doing a search & rescue mission?

Ill be flying at Mallows Bay possibly next weekend have you flown that yet? there are a bunch of wood cargo ships hulls there from WWI some sticking out of the water its said 200 ships are in that location including one sticking way above the surface that is steel it would be a few miles north of 301 Bridge and on the Maryland side of the Potomac

Reactions: KentA

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94