Motor Overload Question

Reaction score
Iv had this a couple of times now and on inspecting my props before the last flight I noticed one of them will not screw on correctly.

Where the others spin freely and then tighten one just spins with the motor at the Same time as if it does not thread.

Do you think this is the cause of the error message need to change it out I think?

Also heard it could be something to do with current draw any thoughts ?

Last edited:
What color is the hub on the prop? Black or silver,,some screw on clock wise and some counter clockwise,,could be bad prop threads,,switch props on that motor and see if problem follows the prop,,or problem with same motor,,,,

What color is the hub on the prop? Black or silver,,some screw on clock wise and some counter clockwise,,could be bad prop threads,,switch props on that motor and see if problem follows the prop,,or problem with same motor,,,,

Yeah it is just that prop it does it on the other grey tipped motor as well and another prop on that motor fits fine

Just to make sure, you are getting "Motor Overload" message.

I ask this because I got a P3A used with two batteries, short story I now have six batteries, the two that came with the used P3A seems to be defective. Viewing the flight log and watching the battery voltages while flying, I think I should give up on these batteries. While hovering I can get the "MO" message. Rising altitude is instance.

Rod

Just to make sure, you are getting "Motor Overload" message.

I ask this because I got a P3A used with two batteries, short story I now have six batteries, the two that came with the used P3A seems to be defective. Viewing the flight log and watching the battery voltages while flying, I think I should give up on these batteries. While hovering I can get the "MO" message. Rising altitude is instance.

Rod

Yeah defiantly motor overload warning.

Do we actually know what causes the warning is there any documentation of what causes or how it's measured.

There's no sensors on the props so it must be calculated from something. Any idea what ?

Also do I need to send it in or is it the support chat staff not knowing what is going on

You mentioned that you had a problem with a specific propeller, but you never said whether you tried with a new one. I assume you did, as it's such a simple and obvious thing to do, before even thinking to send the entire AC to DJI, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, so let me ask you explicitly: is the Motor Overload error still there after you replaced the "problematic" propeller?

As for your question on how the AC detects it, I can only guess but likely it's by looking at the current draw and/or how much "throttle" that specific ESC requires, relative to the others. P3S motors, to my knowledge, don't have any sensors.

You mentioned that you had a problem with a specific propeller, but you never said whether you tried with a new one. I assume you did, as it's such a simple and obvious thing to do, before even thinking to send the entire AC to DJI, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, so let me ask you explicitly: is the Motor Overload error still there after you replaced the "problematic" propeller?

As for your question on how the AC detects it, I can only guess but likely it's by looking at the current draw and/or how much "throttle" that specific ESC requires, relative to the others. P3S motors, to my knowledge, don't have any sensors.

Thanks for the reply. I have not tried another propeller yet I shall tomorrow I didn't want to risk it If it was a fault.

Speaking to chat they said it's a internal error that it needs to be sent in. I was only enquiring with them as to what causes it as you would think they would know. I guess the default line is to send it in.

I shall try another prop. I have only had the error twice and then noticed the prop. Just seems to be conflicting advice online as to what causes it i just want to get to the bottom of it more out of curiosity. Thanks for replying

Understood. If you don't feel like flying because you're afraid of some catastrophic failure, turn on the P3S and start the motors, then - with the AC on the ground - look at the offending prop from the side, with your eyes perfectly level with the prop blades: you might be able to spot one blade spinning higher/lower than the other, or the prop hub wiggling. If that's the case and there's something macroscopically wrong with that prop, chances are that it was causing the motor overload error. At that point, you might feel confident enough to do a low-altitude hover test with a new prop, and see if the error is still there.

Yep, replace the props and yes they must be watching current draw. At this point for me its just those two batteries, and the voltages go into the red on all four cells on the battery. I will see if I can upload a good one and a bad one.

Rod

Understood. If you don't feel like flying because you're afraid of some catastrophic failure, turn on the P3S and start the motors, then - with the AC on the ground - look at the offending prop from the side, with your eyes perfectly level with the prop blades: you might be able to spot one blade spinning higher/lower than the other, or the prop hub wiggling. If that's the case and there's something macroscopically wrong with that prop, chances are that it was causing the motor overload error. At that point, you might feel confident enough to do a low-altitude hover test with a new prop, and see if the error is still there.

So the error occurs when a particular motor spins quicker than the others am I understanding that bit right.

Would a dodgy prop cause one to spin more suppose it could.

Thanks

Yep, replace the props and yes they must be watching current draw. At this point for me its just those two batteries, and the voltages go into the red on all four cells on the battery. I will see if I can upload a good one and a bad one.

Rod

If a motor had to spin quicker it would draw more current. Then I suppose it could trigger the error if its monitoring that metric

A motor overload should be caused only by a bad propeller (as in: the pitch completely off), a seized bearing (damaged motor, did you have a crash?) or a motor blocked by something (touching the arm plastic or a screw too long cutting into the wires). It's not hard for an ESC to measure the current draw, if so designed. Or a bad battery that drops the voltage and creates a condition similar to an overloaded motor

A prop hard to screw on doesn't make any difference

Can you motor spin freely? Does one of the motor feel different when you spin it by hand? Did you add propeller or motor protectors that could have caused a long screw to damage the motor?

If you have a prop that does not fully tighten, that would most likely be your problem. Get a new set of props and I would bet you will not get the overload message anymore

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20