How secure is a VGE mount?

Reaction score
Hi,
I was looking at one of these mounts to help improve the video before I eventually go for a gimbal. Looking at the various Youtube videos it looks like the mount holding the camera is just attached to the top mount via the gromets. Are these reliable and strong enough to hold the GoPro in its water proof casing while flying? I guess they must be but it looks kinda insecure. Also are there any UK suppliers of these mounts as most seem to come from the States or HK?

cheers

Totally ....
I used VGE mount around 3 months before gimbal and after tested some others that is one of my favorites combined with balanced props, got great videos. I use it today when just change from gimbal to VGE usin Industril Velcro (no screws) and works great.

VGE-Mount1.jpg

VGE-Mount2.jpg

VGE-Mount3.jpg

If you're worried about them coming loose, get a thin cable tie (2mm) and tie it loosely through one of the rubber grommets. Not too tight as you'll transmit vibration. Then, if it all goes wrong, the cable tie should keep hold of your camera and the lower plate.

jumanoc, in the photo of your rig, what kind of foam are you using for the floats or whatever is attached to your landing gearÉ

If you're considering getting a gimbal, better just go for a gimbal instead of the anti-vibe mount.

I used it a while back found it ok but did nearly lose a camera after one of the dampers tore in flight when doing some fast agressive flying. When I came back the camera was only mounted using 3 of these and hanging off quite a bit. Mine broke on the very next crash though that was entirely my fault, since then I got an anti jello mount from helipal. Much the same design but the grommets are harder and much tougher and it doesn't wobble as much as the VGE did. Its quite likely they have changed the mount a bit since I had it so cant say how the current version holds up.

I am installing a gimbal next so wont be using these but a similar type setup it comes with as do most brushless gimbals. An extra safety tether of some sort that doesnt transfer any vibrations is not a bad idea with any of these type of mounts.

I did have a hard, ie crash, landing with the vge mount and the balls tore out of their holders releasing the boxed gopro and quad into a river. In spite of that, I took the extra ball that came with it and replaced the torn one, fished out the phantom and gopro, dried it out, recalibrated and all was fine. It took a lot of force to tear the mount, I think it would have been fine normally. On the other hand, the wire mount I used dampened vibration better and is 100% secure.

jimi.martin87 said:
jumanoc, in the photo of your rig, what kind of foam are you using for the floats or whatever is attached to your landing gearÉ

No foam. Those are DYI balso (wood) skids :x

I went for the no-jello mount before the gimbal too.... biggest waste of money! Not because the no-jello mount isn't good, heck it's AMAZING! The problem is that it'll make you want a gimbal EVEN MORE! Save the $25 on the VGE and just get the gimbal :D

Arseneault said:
I went for the no-jello mount before the gimbal too.... biggest waste of money! Not because the no-jello mount isn't good, heck it's AMAZING! The problem is that it'll make you want a gimbal EVEN MORE! Save the $25 on the VGE and just get the gimbal :D

I skipped that step as well, but made the mistake of going with a servo-gimbal instead. (another waste).

but I def agree, the VGE style mounts are great for taking the jello out of shakey, wobbly , jelloey fotoage.
- resulting in jello-free shakey wobbly video! :D

much better to put the money towards a gimbal that already incorporates vibration isolation mounts.

Gizmo3000 said:
Arseneault said:

I skipped that step as well, but made the mistake of going with a servo-gimbal instead. (another waste).

but I def agree, the VGE style mounts are great for taking the jello out of shakey, wobbly , jelloey fotoage.
- resulting in jello-free shakey wobbly video! :D

much better to put the money towards a gimbal that already incorporates vibration isolation mounts.

I skipped the VGE mount too and went for a cheapo servo gimbal. For what I wanted at the time it done the job, I wasn't after perfect looking video, just video without the pitch and roll of the phantom flying. I still have the servo gimbal on my phantom, but I have ordered a tarot gimbal. Actually, I've received my first tarot gimbal, DOA! Some of the electrical components from the main controller PCB were in the bag, un stuck from the PCB. After a bunch of emails back and forth, I'm still in the middle of sending this one back and/or getting a replacement PCB.

The one thing with these types of mounts especially the original VGE I had was that they tend to sway a bit in strong winds or fast flight. I am having a bit of this issue also with my new gimbal from xpro heli, all up its pretty good but Im sure if I can eliminate the motion from the rubber grommets I can get much better results. I am going to try sorbothane as a few others have found it to work very well at reducing jello but also doesn't get the swinging action especially if you have more then just one camera hanging off the mount.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will just go straight for a gimbal. I was actually quite impressed at how little jello I got from my first batch of recordings despite mounting the GoPro via its waterproof case straight on the Phantom. My chief annoyance was the sloping horizon which the gimbal would help sort out.

justsomeguy said:
martcerv said:
The one thing with these types of mounts especially the original VGE I had was that they tend to sway a bit in strong winds or fast flight.

For the VGE mount, all you need to do is glue a foam ear plug in the center line on the front and on the back. Voila, no more sway.

I did use some foam when I was using it and worked well wasnt earplugs but similar stuff.

For a while I used some rubber band tied through each grommet. It didn't transmit the vibration, and in the event of a hard landing, things stayed together.

Hope this helps

D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl