Flytrex Live 3G Released - Review

Also, I recently learned the the Flytrex Live 3G units are apparently location specific. I'm in North America and I believe my unit is optimized for my part of the world. However, when I travel, I may experience hit or miss success in using my unit. I had issues in Jamaica. Purchased a Sim card for Jamaica and ran into some issues.

This may be a technology issue not a Flytrex issue.

Howdy folks! I am excited to have just received authorization to go public with my experience with the new Flytrex Live 3G ! Flytrex was kind enough to offer me the opportunity to become a Flytrex Live 3G beta tester. For the past few weeks, I have had a Live 3G installed to my bird and have been having a blast engaging in a series of test flights. Here is my report:

The Flytrex Live 3G is the new & improved version of the Flytrex Live originally released last spring. The Live 3G is a flight logger that automatically uploads flight data, in real-time, to your Flytrex account via 3G cellular connection. The Live is also your personal Phantom Tracker & Locator, always aware of your aircraft's last known location. Included with your Flytrex Live 3G is your personal Flytrex account, where all of your "missions" are permanently stored. Now you'll have proof for those record-breaking excursions, and your adventures can be easily shared on Facebook & Twitter! Also included is your very own "Live Flight" channel, where your flights may be viewed live, in real-time, by your friends & fellow pilots.

The Flytrex Live 3G hardware is enclosed within a small black plastic case measuring 1.8" x 1.9" x .5". The device weighs in @ 1.37 ounces, including the required Phantom Installation Cable. Dimensions are identical to the original Live. The Flytrex Live 3G includes a pressure sensor, Micro-USB port, GPS data port, hardwired power leads, a multi-color LED status indicator, and a Micro-SIM slot for inserting a SIM from the cellular carrier of your choice. . The most significant news is the Live v1's 3COM 2G broadband chip has been replaced with a Telit UL-865-NAR 3G broadband modem! For U.S.A pilots, this means you can now achieve reliable 3G connections through a wide variety of cellular data providers.

Installation of the Flytrex Live 3G takes 15-30 minutes, with most of the time spent removing & reinstalling the Phantom's upper shell. Once the shell is removed, disconnect the GPS connector from the main board and install the Phantom-specific harness in its place. The Phantom GPS plugs into the harness, and a small connector feeds through the Phantom's lower shell and connects to the Live's data port. I've found the best place to pass through the lower shell is via the same access port used by the compass. Next feed the Live power lines up into the Phantom through the same access port, and solder the red & black leads to a suitable power point. Finally attach the Flytrex Live 3G module externally to your aircraft with the included double-sided tape, test, and reinstall the upper shell. Viola!

I opted to solder my power leads directly to the mainboard power points. In the Vision+ these pads are hidden beneath the Wi-Fi module, which is mounted to the Phantom with a single screw & double-sided tape. Disconnect the two Wi-Fi antenna, remove the screw, & carefully lift allows rotating the module up & out of the way allowing access to the power points. You may alternatively tap power at one of the ESC power points or directly from the main battery power connectors. I did a slight modification to my power connector. I opened the Flytrex Live 3G and soldered a short length of cable with a JST female connector, while installing a JST male inside the Phantom. The purpose here was for easy disconnection & removal of the Live from my Vision+ if necessary. I mounted my Flytrex Live under the battery compartment where it fits perfectly while allowing full access to the battery release buttons. The device fits neatly in this location, and connection to the cellular network is strong. I opted to mount the Live with the supplied self-stick pads. Heavy duty velcro is a good alternative should you plan to transfer the Live between aircraft.

Prior to installation I scanned the QR code from the Live linking it to my Flytrex account. Once installed I nserted the SIM from my Live 2G into the new Live 3G and, within about a minute, the Live was online and connected. No SIM changes were necessary. I am using T-Mobile's 1GB monthly data plan. Since the new Live is 3G-capable it should be compatible with a broad range of U.S.A. carriers and be considerably more reliable due to the extensive availability of 3G service in the States.

Connectivity is, or course, the "Big Deal," as USA owners of the original Live 2G experienced difficulties obtaining & maintaining a connection. The 3G version has eliminated those issues entirely for areas with 3G cellular data coverage. With the latest firmware, I am able to connect to the cellular network within 30 seconds or less, and the connection is extremely stable & reliable. It is rock solid, with no more "lost" missions, and I have yet to have a connection fail in the air.

During beta testing, Live firmware updates were performed manually via USB and a special version of the Live Programmer software. The release version should be over-the-air as was the Live v1. Another sweet li'l nugget you will appreciate is a new "Sync Missions" feature available under the "Live > Manage" section of your Flytrex account. When selected this option will automatically sync any missions missing from your Flytrex page with those stored within internal memory of your Flytrex Live 3G. The sync occurs automatically the next time your Live connects to your account. This will come in handy if you fly in remote locations lacking cellular coverage.

A personal testament to the value of the Live 3G: As many of you know, a few weeks ago my Phantom went down in deep woods due to a battery issue. Thanks to the Live 3G, recovery was a simple matter of logging into my account and viewing the Flytrex "Last Seen" page. I entered the GPS coordinates provided into my Garmin eTrex Vista and followed the pointer directly to my Phantom's location. The coordinates brought me right to the very tree where she had landed with the last reported elevation showing as 116'. The altitude reading proved an invaluable bit of information. Took me a while to spot her high atop the canopy but, sure enough, she was right there!

The fully-automatic flight logging is a fantastic feature in and of itself. For me, however, the most important feature is the ability to locate my bird should she misbehave or go down unexpectedly. The Flytrex Live 3G does just that and I wholly endorse & recommend the Flytrex Live 3G to my fellow Phantom pilots. Particularly for those who, like myself, enjoy pushing the envelope with long-range FPV and/or autonomous flights.

A big "Thank you!" to Amit & the folks at Flytrex for allowing me the opportunity & honor to participate in the beta testing!

--Dirty Bird

*** UPDATE: Flytrex now offers a CAN-Bus cable allowing for a solderless installation in the Vision+. The CAN-Bus adapter is attached between the appropriate port on the V+ mainboard & the Flytrex Live 3G. The single connection supplies both power and GPS data to the Flytrex. With the CAN-Bus adapter, the dedicated red & black power wires on the Flytrex are unnecessary and may be removed.

1.3 OUNCES?!?

Hi djsydvicious

I'm sorry for the trouble with this! I expect that we'll have this feature working again within the next 3-4 days from now.

Earlier this month Facebook updated some of their protocols. Our web-site was already prepared for this change, but we also needed to go through FB's approval process for the Live mission action before we can post automatically to your timeline. We expect to finish this review process in a few days and then the Live Mission posts to Facebook will start working automatically again.

We will post more updates once this is ready in a few days. Cheers! :)
????????????????????????????????o_O:rolleyes::(

The Facebook Live Flight notification is now working again.

However, the notification system within Flytrex has never worked for me or anyone I know using Flytrex.
You can find the notification settings in the Account Settings area.
  • Email me on new comments to my missions
  • Email me on new followers
  • Notify my mobile devices on live flights by Everyone/People I Follow/No One
None of that works.

Looking back through the CSV data files of my 80 missions on the Flytrex site I notice that the flight_mode field is populated with nothing but 'ATTI' (and a few 'failsafe').
Those same exact missions that I downloaded onto my computer a month or two ago show 'GPS' in that column (GPS is the correct value).
I put in a support request and Amit is looking into it. He says it may be confined to only Vision Plus data.

Last edited:
Flytrex is a joke!!!!!

Not used it on my P2V+ since August. Fire it up today purple light but not recording missions.:mad:

How do you like the FPVLR dipoles?

I've got Flytrex Live 3G and it has performed perfectly in every way since the day I got it. I've got a P2V.

I've got Flytrex Live 3G and it has performed perfectly in every way since the day I got it. I've got a P2V.
Connects to face book to?

My Flytrex posts to Facebook at every flight.

What are you guys using for a carrier?

**** wish I had read this about 15mjns ago ! I just did that firmware update on my P2V++...
Okay, I'm confused...is it the app update or a firmware update causing this??

**** wish I had read this about 15mjns ago ! I just did that firmware update on my P2V++...

What to do....What to do......

Thx: Drone-Outlaw
I'm rocking a "P2V++" & "INSPIRE-1V-2"
Buy another WiFi unit or wait for a dji fix.

Okay, I'm confused...is it the app update or a firmware update causing this??
It was in the app. But updated the WiFi extender via the app.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl