EPSON BT 300 MOVERIO - IS THIS THE EMPERORS NEW CLOTHES ?

I just received the Epson Moverio BT-300 glasses today and successfully side-loaded the DJI Go 4.0 App. along with another app to keep orientation correct. They are a HIGH quality set of glasses and just bench testing them it looks like the latency issues are gone. I will be flying with them tomorrow.

Please let us know, I too waiting for the Drone version when available. I am currently using Head Play googles and these seem good since the HDMI is coming directly from the controller and not the DJI go Ap.

Sometimes I see lag with me iOS iPad mini 2 but clean with my IPAD Air with the faster processed.

Then I got a Samsung galaxy 4 phone for my kid and reset cleaned everything off it and installed the old and then the new DJI go apps and in some cases, it for with these android Oss I see lag big and loss of picture for seconds.

Concluding. IOS operations sees to work better with the go app 4 then the android OS but I think DJI must have tweaked the app for these glasses.

I really think the go app is limited and it uses lots of CPU cycles.

Please keep us posted. I am running more base line tests on other higher processing hardware.

Best regards,
Steve

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Please let us know, I too waiting for the Drone version when available. I am currently using Head Play googles and these seem good since the HDMI is coming directly from the controller and not the DJI go Ap.

Sometimes I see lag with me iOS iPad mini 2 but clean with my IPAD Air with the faster processed.

Then I got a Samsung galaxy 4 phone for my kid and reset cleaned everything off it and installed the old and then the new DJI go apps and in some cases, it for with these android Oss I see lag big and loss of picture for seconds.

Concluding. IOS operations sees to work better with the go app 4 then the android OS but I think DJI must have tweaked the app for these glasses.

I really think the go app is limited and it uses lots of CPU cycles.

Please keep us posted. I am running more base line tests on other higher processing hardware.

Best regards,
Steve

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Hi Steve Neil from the UK here.... I was interested to read your article. I started off the thread here having acquire an early version of the Epsom BT300. Since I initially posted the thread I have made some headway in improving the experience. I now have the DJI go App 4 which has resolved the awful lag I was experiencing. I am flying a P4 and before getting the BT300's I was using my iPad Pro 12.9 to view the video stream. Over Xmas I was out in Australia flying the P4 way out over the ocean and video quality on the iPad I could not fault - worked a dream. Since recently loading the DJI go App 4 provided to me by Epson on to the BT300 the visual experience is what I was hoping for.......... or at least it is for about 5 minutes. I am finding that a get a gradual degradation of picture quality - pixilation in effect. This is incredibly frustrating as I know it works fine with the iPad. Switching the DJI controller off and back on clears the issue for another 5 minutes - I am no expert but it's almost as if the android software or DJI app becomes overwhelmed with information and can't process the video feed quickly enough. There is a very good review by aviscomi where they tested the BT300's with the Maveric but did not report the picture segregation I have experienced so it will be interesting to see if anyone else experiences the same issue I am having

Regards
Neil

Hi Steve Neil from the UK here.... I was interested to read your article. I started off the thread here having acquire an early version of the Epsom BT300. Since I initially posted the thread I have made some headway in improving the experience. I now have the DJI go App 4 which has resolved the awful lag I was experiencing. I am flying a P4 and before getting the BT300's I was using my iPad Pro 12.9 to view the video stream. Over Xmas I was out in Australia flying the P4 way out over the ocean and video quality on the iPad I could not fault - worked a dream. Since recently loading the DJI go App 4 provided to me by Epson on to the BT300 the visual experience is what I was hoping for.......... or at least it is for about 5 minutes. I am finding that a get a gradual degradation of picture quality - pixilation in effect. This is incredibly frustrating as I know it works fine with the iPad. Switching the DJI controller off and back on clears the issue for another 5 minutes - I am no expert but it's almost as if the android software or DJI app becomes overwhelmed with information and can't process the video feed quickly enough. There is a very good review by aviscomi where they tested the BT300's with the Maveric but did not report the picture segregation I have experienced so it will be interesting to see if anyone else experiences the same issue I am having

Regards
Neil
Neil,
Very strange that you're encountering this issue on the Phantom, true my testing was performed on a Mavic; but I wouldn't think that the platform (i.e drone type) would make a difference. One thing that I would suggest is to ensure that there are not any unnecessary back-ground apps running on the Android device. I will attempt to test the BT-300 glasses with my Inspire 2 tomorrow and report back my findings.

FYI - I have been having a discssion with the guy from Epson regarding the above issue I have been having. It may be of some use to some people so here goes a copy of my discovery:

Hi Eric,

Thanks for coming back. As I mentioned further up the post the I experinced the exact same problems with the DJI GO v3.1.2 app before trying the DJI GO 4 app. I have done some digging around on the internet and I think I may have found the main issue I am having which is the progressively awful pixelation of the video steam (recorded video is fine).

I came across the attached article at rcgroups.com. There are reported issues with the most recent RC firmware (V1.8) in that poor feed (what I have been suffering) can occure after upgarde and in particular for those who have the HDMI module fitted. I had the HDMI module retro fitted as I was initally looking at buying a set of shark goggles to connect a HDMI feed. I have now rolled back the firmware on my RC to V1.6 and a staric tests (without flying outside) show the pixelation has virtually dissapeared. A test flight will confirm if this is 100% absolute.

So in summary my problem appears to be the most recent RC firmware update (V1.8) and the HDMI module added to the RC controller may also be a signifcant contributing factor when used with the Epson BT300. Hopefully DJI will issue an upgarde that will address this problem.

PLEASE NOTE: Anyone rolling back their RC software should be aware that I believe if you are do not have the latest firmware on your bird and you roll back your firmware on the RC and then later upgrade your RC firmware before upgarding the firmware on your bird it will not work - please check on the internet and understand the correct sequencing of firmware upgrading both the RC and the bird.

Attachments

• IMG_1717.JPG
    IMG_1717.JPG
    449.7 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_1717.pdf
    458.8 KB · Views: 203
FYI - I have been having a discssion with the guy from Epson regarding the above issue I have been having. It may be of some use to some people so here goes a copy of my discovery:

Hi Eric,

Thanks for coming back. As I mentioned further up the post the I experinced the exact same problems with the DJI GO v3.1.2 app before trying the DJI GO 4 app. I have done some digging around on the internet and I think I may have found the main issue I am having which is the progressively awful pixelation of the video steam (recorded video is fine).

I came across the attached article at rcgroups.com. There are reported issues with the most recent RC firmware (V1.8) in that poor feed (what I have been suffering) can occure after upgarde and in particular for those who have the HDMI module fitted. I had the HDMI module retro fitted as I was initally looking at buying a set of shark goggles to connect a HDMI feed. I have now rolled back the firmware on my RC to V1.6 and a staric tests (without flying outside) show the pixelation has virtually dissapeared. A test flight will confirm if this is 100% absolute.

So in summary my problem appears to be the most recent RC firmware update (V1.8) and the HDMI module added to the RC controller may also be a signifcant contributing factor when used with the Epson BT300. Hopefully DJI will issue an upgarde that will address this problem.

PLEASE NOTE: Anyone rolling back their RC software should be aware that I believe if you are do not have the latest firmware on your bird and you roll back your firmware on the RC and then later upgrade your RC firmware before upgarding the firmware on your bird it will not work - please check on the internet and understand the correct sequencing of firmware upgrading both the RC and the bird.
Wow, that was a good find. I would have never of thought that the issue would have been DJI firmware related. I haven't had a chance to try the Moverios on my Inspire 2 yet, 6 inches of snow today.

Wow, that was a good find. I would have never of thought that the issue would have been DJI firmware related. I haven't had a chance to try the Moverios on my Inspire 2 yet, 6 inches of snow today.

6" of snow I'm hanging out for spring not too long now........ is that a V Rod you have in your avatar

Yes its a NighRod special, ironic thing is that yesterday it was 65 degrees here and I was out riding it. Looks like this now:

Attachments

• right.jpg
    right.jpg
    723.4 KB · Views: 289
NIce nearly brought a V Rod myself few years back but the recession knocked the idea on the head for a while...............

Just going back to the issue with the EPson the discovery will allow me hopefully to now use the BT300's as they should be used, however it does not answer the question as to why the set up of the RC with V1.80 software, the DJI Go 4 App and an iPad works but you have to roll back the software on the RC to make it work on the Epson BT300.

We will see what comes out of future APP and firmware updates

Sorry to muddy the water here :) but how much of what is being discussed here regarding pixelation in the video stream might also pertain to the DJI Mavic??

Both the Mavic AND its controller do not currently have HDMI capability,
Help answer this question about DJI Mavic Pro Drone
so would it be safe to say the pixelation problem doesn't exist with the Mavic since HDMI is not in involved the video stream?

I guess my question really is ....Do any of you guys have a Mavic to be able to confirm whether or not a Mavic works well with the BT-300?

Sorry to muddy the water here :) but how much of what is being discussed here regarding pixelation in the video stream might also pertain to the DJI Mavic??

Both the Mavic AND its controller do not currently have HDMI capability,
Help answer this question about DJI Mavic Pro Drone
so would it be safe to say the pixelation problem doesn't exist with the Mavic since HDMI is not in involved the video stream?

I guess my question really is ....Do any of you guys have a Mavic to be able to confirm whether or not a Mavic works well with the BT-300?
Yes, all my initial tests and reviews were performed on My Mavic. I actually just tested the Moverios this morning on my Inspire 2 and all is fine.

Yes, all my initial tests and reviews were performed on My Mavic. I actually just tested the Moverios this morning on my Inspire 2 and all is fine.
Sorry for being OT again here but the Mavic
Sorry to clog this P4 thread with Mavic questions but do have a link anywhere that might give more Mavic specific details on tests & reviews you refer to above?

I'm having problems seeing how the Mavic works with the Moverios since the Mavic's have no HDMI ports and the Moverios require HDMI inputs/outputs to work.

Here's the link to my thread on the Mavic forum: EPSON Moverio BT-300 Review

Also note that the Moverio glasses do NOT use HDMI. it is a self contained Android OS unit.

No worries...we're all 1 family here:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers