EPSON BT 300 MOVERIO - IS THIS THE EMPERORS NEW CLOTHES ?

Reaction score
Ok so having waited patiently for 3 months from reserving an order for the new Epson Moverio BT 300 I returned from recent trip to Australia over Xmas all excited to find my new pair of augmented glasses waiting for me……………………..

Firstly, when I reserved my BT 300’s there was no option given to me for the DJI version which I understand differs from the standard pack in that in comes with a set of dark shades, DJI App pre-installed and a receptor for holding the Android based controller in the DJI Controller Device receptor.

Ok so I fired up the Android unit, connected the glasses and downloaded the DJI APP. The first thing I noticed is that I am slightly short sighted so everything in my vision was slightly blurred – not enough to be a problem for watching a video steam but enough to make typing on the projected keyboard for things like your password difficult. I decided to take it for a test flight anyway with my Phantom 4. It was a bright sunny day ideal for flying. First big problem I came across was that I could not see the projected screen against the back drop of the blue sky. The only way I could get any kind of sensible vision of the screen was to put my hand in front of the glasses for a black contrast or look at my black bag on the ground. Even when I attached the plastic shades provided by Epson it was still not possible to see the bird flying ………..hmmmm this is not good. So, I remembered that in one of the promotional videos on YouTube the Asian guy from Epson who was with some Drone enthusiasts out in the desert in the USA testing the BT300’s pulled out a set of custom made shades from his pocket that mount on the front of the glasses – these were made by Rochester Optical in USA. Rochester Optical can also make bespoke prescription lens that will fit into the Epson glasses with a bespoke mounting. Ok so now I get on the internet and I order both the Rochester shades and prescription glasses. Within 5 days they arrive in the UK. Really impressed with Rochester Optical – quick turnaround, nicely packaged and the goods look quality – well done them.

So now back out to testing the Epson BT 300. Firstly, the Rochester shades were a big improvement for me It made the projected video much more visible against the back drop of a bright sky – but expectations I think still need to be tempered in a bright environment. The prescription glasses made everything in focus so now I can read the letters on the screen and type in passwords for the various Epson Apps such as the one for the DJI.

So, everything good I hear you say, unfortunately no…………. It would be no overstatement to say that my initial flight experience with the BT 300 is the biggest disappointment I have experience with new technology. Allow me to explain. Having spent additional monies on glasses and shades I find the big problem is with the quality of the project screen. Firstly, let me make it very clear My P4 works just fine, I have just returned from Australia have flown it out there for nearly month using my iPad tablet no problem. Back in the UK it works just dandy with the iPad. When I connect the BT 300 I am experiencing all kinds of issues, such as:

1. Video lag – this can vary from a few seconds to 10 – 20 seconds

2. Pixilation – picture break up

3. Reduced screen size – this occurred when navigating from different menus.

Before anyone comments the area, I was flying in was free from the usual suspects such as power lines that may affect picture reception – in any event when I swapped back to the iPad no issue in picture quality.

The pixilation and time lag does not necessarily happen immediately it appears to kick in at random times but when it does the picture is truly awful…….. and I mean awful.

The problem I am having here is I can’t believe anyone would try and market these glasses for use with a Drone when, from own personal experience, it is unreliable and beset with what appears to be bugs. I am no expert but I suspect the issue is with the Epson / DJI APP. The Epson Android driven module works perfectly well with all the other EPSON APPS and there is nothing to suggest the Epson BT 300 unit or glasses are faulty. If it is an APP issue WTF are DJI and Epson doing releasing something that is so dire it clearly does not work.

It is still early days to get feedback from other users however I have found similar comments from other users through the net………….

I am puzzled by the chasm of what appeared to be Drone enthusiast on the internet who had raved about this product at various pre-launch trials before its official launch and the reality I have discovered…………….time will tell if this is another case of the Emperor’s New Clothes or just new technology bugs that will quickly be addressed by the manufacturer.

I will hold off binning the BT300 until I get some answers from Epson / DJI

Thanks for the review.

I was thinking about getting them too but will wait for other reviews. I know they told me to get the FPV model which comes with the goodies mentioned when I went to the LA Drone show where they exhibited them. The lag is troublesome though and could be their downfall and might be due to Android system too (Yucky Android!). Don't know how they would work for me as I live in the desert and bright sun both. I was hoping they'd get around the VLOS rule too.

I canceled my order when they "hit" my credit card and couldn't give me a firm release date.

1 question for the OP @Neil Warren
Was this the "Drone Edition/Version" of the Bt-300 glasses? Did it come with any specific mount?

Buying unproven tech is like being a test pilot, keep some Beamans gum in your pocket and hands on the eject button [emoji41]

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using PhantomPilots mobile app
I agree...I think I got "sucked" into all the hype when they (Epson) first introduced the BT-300 glasses. I had a pair pre-ordered and paid for, but every time I asked them a what the delay was the Rep told me it was in designing a mount. I told her BS and stated that anyone with a 3D printer could design it.

I was thoroughly impressed with them at the 2016 Commercial UAVExpo in Vegas last October. I really liked their HUD design, (I agree with the FAA, fully immersive goggle's, even Glyphs are not a substitute for VOLS flying.)

That said, trying them on inside a convention hall is one thing, and using them outside in bright sunshine...I wear contact lenses so fit is not an issue, but I could see price being a barrier to entry. All your concerns gives me great pause, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've been using the BT-300 from the early days of the engineering release and have not seen anything near what you mention. Perhaps you got a bad product??

I use my own glasses and the dark lens and even in sunlight find that the screen is quite visible (at least for me).

I've shared your comments with Epson and will report back what I hear.

Ok so having waited patiently for 3 months from reserving an order for the new Epson Moverio BT 300 I returned from recent trip to Australia over Xmas all excited to find my new pair of augmented glasses waiting for me……………………..

Firstly, when I reserved my BT 300’s there was no option given to me for the DJI version which I understand differs from the standard pack in that in comes with a set of dark shades, DJI App pre-installed and a receptor for holding the Android based controller in the DJI Controller Device receptor.

Ok so I fired up the Android unit, connected the glasses and downloaded the DJI APP. The first thing I noticed is that I am slightly short sighted so everything in my vision was slightly blurred – not enough to be a problem for watching a video steam but enough to make typing on the projected keyboard for things like your password difficult. I decided to take it for a test flight anyway with my Phantom 4. It was a bright sunny day ideal for flying. First big problem I came across was that I could not see the projected screen against the back drop of the blue sky. The only way I could get any kind of sensible vision of the screen was to put my hand in front of the glasses for a black contrast or look at my black bag on the ground. Even when I attached the plastic shades provided by Epson it was still not possible to see the bird flying ………..hmmmm this is not good. So, I remembered that in one of the promotional videos on YouTube the Asian guy from Epson who was with some Drone enthusiasts out in the desert in the USA testing the BT300’s pulled out a set of custom made shades from his pocket that mount on the front of the glasses – these were made by Rochester Optical in USA. Rochester Optical can also make bespoke prescription lens that will fit into the Epson glasses with a bespoke mounting. Ok so now I get on the internet and I order both the Rochester shades and prescription glasses. Within 5 days they arrive in the UK. Really impressed with Rochester Optical – quick turnaround, nicely packaged and the goods look quality – well done them.

So now back out to testing the Epson BT 300. Firstly, the Rochester shades were a big improvement for me It made the projected video much more visible against the back drop of a bright sky – but expectations I think still need to be tempered in a bright environment. The prescription glasses made everything in focus so now I can read the letters on the screen and type in passwords for the various Epson Apps such as the one for the DJI.

So, everything good I hear you say, unfortunately no…………. It would be no overstatement to say that my initial flight experience with the BT 300 is the biggest disappointment I have experience with new technology. Allow me to explain. Having spent additional monies on glasses and shades I find the big problem is with the quality of the project screen. Firstly, let me make it very clear My P4 works just fine, I have just returned from Australia have flown it out there for nearly month using my iPad tablet no problem. Back in the UK it works just dandy with the iPad. When I connect the BT 300 I am experiencing all kinds of issues, such as:

1. Video lag – this can vary from a few seconds to 10 – 20 seconds

2. Pixilation – picture break up

3. Reduced screen size – this occurred when navigating from different menus.

Before anyone comments the area, I was flying in was free from the usual suspects such as power lines that may affect picture reception – in any event when I swapped back to the iPad no issue in picture quality.

The pixilation and time lag does not necessarily happen immediately it appears to kick in at random times but when it does the picture is truly awful…….. and I mean awful.

The problem I am having here is I can’t believe anyone would try and market these glasses for use with a Drone when, from own personal experience, it is unreliable and beset with what appears to be bugs. I am no expert but I suspect the issue is with the Epson / DJI APP. The Epson Android driven module works perfectly well with all the other EPSON APPS and there is nothing to suggest the Epson BT 300 unit or glasses are faulty. If it is an APP issue WTF are DJI and Epson doing releasing something that is so dire it clearly does not work.

It is still early days to get feedback from other users however I have found similar comments from other users through the net………….

I am puzzled by the chasm of what appeared to be Drone enthusiast on the internet who had raved about this product at various pre-launch trials before its official launch and the reality I have discovered…………….time will tell if this is another case of the Emperor’s New Clothes or just new technology bugs that will quickly be addressed by the manufacturer.

I will hold off binning the BT300 until I get some answers from Epson / DJI

Reactions: Stew-2
So users have to rely on a hacked version of Go for it to work properly? Why won't it support it natively (especially when -or if - the touted new features appear in Go 4)?

Last edited:
So users have to rely on a hacked version of Go for it to work properly? Why won't it support it natively (especially when -or if - the touted new features appear in Go 4)?

It is not a hacked version, it's a patched version of GO and is the same that will be in the store for Android soon.

The Epson goggles cannot connect to play store so users must get apps from the Moverio store, that's why the download.

There are more apps in the works specifically designed for goggles but I cannot say more at this time.

It is not a hacked version, it's a patched version of GO and is the same that will be in the store for Android soon.

The Epson goggles cannot connect to play store so users must get apps from the Moverio store, that's why the download.

There are more apps in the works specifically designed for goggles but I cannot say more at this time.
How does this file get applied to the BT-300 module?

Download the file and copy it to a micro SD card (just like you use with the drones). Then use the file browser to browse to the file and install it.

Hope that helps.
Perfect...thanks!

I just heard from Epson; the fixed GO app is here: Dropbox - DJI GO_3.1.2_apk-dl.com.apk

There are several BT-300 threads going on at the moment. I was posting in another one (EPSON BT-300) but since this is the one with the apk I'm moving over here.

Over my lunch break I sideloaded the apk and ran a quick test. WAY better than yesterday, literally about 100 times better: from around 20 seconds latency to around 200 milliseconds (I'm guessing, didn't have time to measure).

It looks like they are dropping the occasional frame but that's the right thing to do when the processor is pegged. I stand by my guess from yesterday as to the cause of the lag. Whenever Epson get around to designing the next gen I'm sure they'll put a GPU in it, or decode the ocusync stream with a dedicated (licensed?) asic if the market's big enough.

I took the MP up in the car park for about 15 mins (all the battery I had). The video wasn't perfect, still some periodic glitching, BUT I'm in the middle of a big office complex with literally hundreds of wifi routers, lots of huge flat vertical and horizontal surfaces causing massive multipathing and it's just generally a terrible place for 2.4Ghz.

So I'm reserving judgement until I've fly it over the weekend, tweak the settings, and get a better, less-rushed, idea of it's capabilities. But I'm enthusiastic!

Reactions: SDPilot12
There are several BT-300 threads going on at the moment. I was posting in another one (EPSON BT-300) but since this is the one with the apk I'm moving over here.

Over my lunch break I sideloaded the apk and ran a quick test. WAY better than yesterday, literally about 100 times better: from around 20 seconds latency to around 200 milliseconds (I'm guessing, didn't have time to measure).

It looks like they are dropping the occasional frame but that's the right thing to do when the processor is pegged. I stand by my guess from yesterday as to the cause of the lag. Whenever Epson get around to designing the next gen I'm sure they'll put a GPU in it, or decode the ocusync stream with a dedicated (licensed?) asic if the market's big enough.

I took the MP up in the car park for about 15 mins (all the battery I had). The video wasn't perfect, still some periodic glitching, BUT I'm in the middle of a big office complex with literally hundreds of wifi routers, lots of huge flat vertical and horizontal surfaces causing massive multipathing and it's just generally a terrible place for 2.4Ghz.

So I'm reserving judgement until I've fly it over the weekend, tweak the settings, and get a better, less-rushed, idea of it's capabilities. But I'm enthusiastic!
Thanks JT...maybe we'll meet up this weekend. I should have the BT-300 on Friday, already received tracking#. Not sure if they'll be updated with the new app.

If the app's not pre-installed I can save you some trial and error. I'll post this here anyway because hopefully it'll help someone in the future:

1) Download the apk file to a PC.
2) Hook the Moverio up to USB and copy the file to a pre-existing top level folder you'll find called "InstallAPK".
3) If there is an existing version of DJI GO on the Moverio delete it (otherwise the apk won't install).
4) Use the preloaded "MovFile" file manager to navigate to "InstallAPK", highlight the apk and then hold your finger on it for several seconds.
5) Just as you're about to give up it will start installing.

Reactions: SDPilot12
If the app's not pre-installed I can save you some trial and error. I'll post this here anyway because hopefully it'll help someone in the future:

1) Download the apk file to a PC.
2) Hook the Moverio up to USB and copy the file to a pre-existing top level folder you'll find called "InstallAPK".
3) If there is an existing version of DJI GO on the Moverio delete it (otherwise the apk won't install).
4) Use the preloaded "MovFile" file manager to navigate to "InstallAPK", highlight the apk and then hold your finger on it for several seconds.
5) Just as you're about to give up it will start installing.
Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20