Can anyone do a 3D design for 1" Ram-Mount ball on Phantom 4 Pro Controller?

Reaction score
The absolute best option for holding a phone or tablet on the Phantom 4 Pro controller would be a Ram-Mount X-grip (and there are different sizes/options). I have a 3D printer but I am not to the level of designing to make a 1" Ram-Mount ball to attach to the metal bracket. The idea is to remove the flip holder and then securely attach a 1" ball to the silver metal bracket so that any Ram-Mount holder can be attached to that 1" ball. It would be really awesome if an aluminum replacement could be manufactured with the 1" ball so that these two items could be attached to it:
http://a.co/d/731k7xn
http://a.co/d/cLsdVwI

And it would not be limited to Ram-Mounts. There are many "tablet" style holders that attach to a 1" ball. So if anyone is a designer and can come up with a good 3D print design, I will be ready to print it and test it out :)

The issue is that most devices with a case on it can not be held securely in the stock cradle. I use an iPad 4 mini and it has to be rubber banded in to stay in place now that I have a "permanent case" on it. A ram mount ball will take care of this problem.

-------
EDIT: changed "any device with a case" to "most devices with a case"...

Last edited:
Spend the hour it will take you to learn a few CAD basics, you will get a lot better use out of your printer that way.

What CAD package do you have?

One revolved and a couple of extruded/lofted or swept solids will get you this part in no time.

I saw a thread here long ago where someone completely removed the metal mounting bracket from the top of the RC and secured a GoPro mount in it's place, the one with the 'slots'. After some creative cutting of some other GoPro parts, probably some JB Weld, and an X-mount for the tablet - that was the most solid tablet mount I've seen, before or since... looked like you could drive nails with it! LOL

He even had a parts list and step-by-step photos.

Sorry I can't direct you to the thread, I was just putzing around here one day last year, clicking links. If you're interested, might have some luck with the forum search tool.

The issue is that any device with a case on it can not be held securely in the stock cradle. I use an iPad 4 mini and it has to be rubber banded in to stay in place now that I have a "permanent case" on it

BTW... to say 'any' device with a case on it doesn't fit the stock cradle is not exactly accurate. I have a Huawei MediaPad M3 8.4 with a thin, clear case that fits fine... and very securely.

Spend the hour it will take you to learn a few CAD basics, you will get a lot better use out of your printer that way.

What CAD package do you have?

One revolved and a couple of extruded/lofted or swept solids will get you this part in no time.
Thanks for the reply. I have Fusion 360 but I am obviously not as smart as the average person because it will take me alot more than an hour to become proficient :). If I could design it I certainly would not have put up a post. I will eventually learn Fusion 360 inside and out but I'm not there and free time is not abundant. Either on this forum or another one, there will be someone who is very proficient with 3D design who sees the value of designing a Ram-Mount ball to fit very nicely on the Phantom 4 Pro controller bracket. If not, then some day when I reach the appropriate level I will jump in there and design it.

BTW... to say 'any' device with a case on it doesn't fit the stock cradle is not exactly accurate. I have a Huawei MediaPad M3 8.4 with a thin, clear case that fits fine... and very securely.
You are correct. I fixed it to be mo accurate :) I will look for that post and see if it can get me in the right direction. Thanks for the heads up!

I saw a thread here long ago where someone completely removed the metal mounting bracket from the top of the RC and secured a GoPro mount in it's place, the one with the 'slots'. After some creative cutting of some other GoPro parts, probably some JB Weld, and an X-mount for the tablet - that was the most solid tablet mount I've seen, before or since... looked like you could drive nails with it! LOL

He even had a parts list and step-by-step photos.

Sorry I can't direct you to the thread, I was just putzing around here one day last year, clicking links. If you're interested, might have some luck with the forum search tool.
This may be the thread?? If so this was on a Phantom 3. I would love to replace the metal bracket with a a "base bracket" that has the 1" ball. then a Ram-Mount "extension" can be attached to that ball and to the tablet/phone holder. I may just have to speed up my Fusioni 360 learning!

P3S tablet holder using GoPro mounts

This may be the thread??

Nosiree, that's not it by a long shot!

There was nothing makeshift, dinky, thin plastic, or spring-loaded about the one I referenced, it looked professional and solid.

Your idea with the Ram mount sounds solid too, Good Luck

Nosiree, that's not it by a long shot!

There was nothing makeshift, dinky, thin plastic, or spring-loaded about the one I referenced, it looked professional and solid.
Tin4. So I just removed the bracket to look at it and scan it and I was making this way to complicated. I will take With The Birds advice and design it. Just need a 1" ball with a base plate that will fit flush on the controller, then have a hole down the middle to screw it down to the controller (screw hole above joy sticks.

Found it... searched for 'go pro mount' and there it was:

ANY INTEREST IN DIY TABLET MOUNTING ON P3 STD RC

In this case, it doesn't matter if it's for a P3S RC or not
Nice! I will do the same thing except it will be a 1" ball instead of gopro and I will screw it down along with some thin 2 sided tape. That way it can be taken back to stock if desired. Thanks again for the feedback!

This is the concept. I did this in TinkerCad. Will redo it in Fusion 360 when I learn how.
Phantom 4 Pro Ram-Mount 1" by tdurhamjr
P4P ram-mount.jpg

Soooo, i'm obviously missing something, so please forgive the ignorance. I could easily model that for a 3D print, but why don't you just take off the metal bracket and screw in a ram mount ball? I popped my bracket off and confirmed a 6mmx1 hole. Here is a link to the tough-ball that should work. if you want the rubber one, you will need to thread a stud in first since it only comes in female. For 9 bucks.....

That being said, the stock DJI bracket mounts in two places on the controller and I have to believe it is a superior design than just mounting to the one hole since I don't know what the frame looks like under the hood. A better design, if you were to custom fab something, would be to create a small platform that takes the place of the stock plastic foldey-downey thing and mount the ball to that via integral screw and a nut. I might tinker with that but, if threading a $9 ball into the existing hole works, there is no point in complicating things... right?
1544542879117.png1544542908306.png

This is the concept

Nice, looks like you're on the right track.

You'll have to account for the curvature on top of the RC... and if you still plan to use screws, better open the RC shell to make sure they don't hit any electronics.

Soooo, i'm obviously missing something, so please forgive the ignorance. I could easily model that for a 3D print, but why don't you just take off the metal bracket and screw in a ram mount ball? I popped my bracket off and confirmed a 6mmx1 hole. Here is a link to the tough-ball that should work. if you want the rubber one, you will need to thread a stud in first since it only comes in female. For 9 bucks.....

That being said, the stock DJI bracket mounts in two places on the controller and I have to believe it is a superior design than just mounting to the one hole since I don't know what the frame looks like under the hood. A better design, if you were to custom fab something, would be to create a small platform that takes the place of the stock plastic foldey-downey thing and mount the ball to that via integral screw and a nut. I might tinker with that but, if threading a $9 ball into the existing hole works, there is no point in complicating things... right?
View attachment 106203View attachment 106204
Hey Sweetchicken, that is awesome. So just to be clear, you have confirmed that the hole in the P4P controller is a 6mm threaded hole and this RamMount would screw down into it? I would think printing a thin solid plate with a 6mm hole to go between this stud and RC face plate would give some extra support to the stud?? What do you think? Also, when they say M6-1 x 6mm what does the -1 mean? I'm trying to figure out how long the stud is? A normal metric callout would be M6 x 1 x 20mm. This bolt is not 6mm long. So I'm not sure about the specified sizing.

With the original bracket, the mount point was up and offset from the top screw so there was a need for the second mount point. I am thinking that would not be necessary with a ram ball straight over the threaded hole and with an additional "support plate" between the ball and RC plate.

If that ball will screw into the RC controller then I am ordering one today :)

Thanks again!

Nice, looks like you're on the right track.

You'll have to account for the curvature on top of the RC... and if you still plan to use screws, better open the RC shell to make sure they don't hit any electronics.
Thankee umanbean! I do like Sweetchickens idea and link to studded ball. If that fits, that is the route I am going. The Tinkercad kid was on the curvature :) You will notice the front has a gap and that was allowing for the curvature of the RC plate. I hope I get an A+ for my kindergarten design :p And actually the one I have posted is not A+ because I forgot to increase the height of the sphere so it ended up being an elongated spheroid.

View attachment 106203View attachment 106204
I ordered the female threaded so that I can add a 4-5mm plate between the stud and the RC face plate. I don't have a lathe but I will file down the bottom 10mm of the bolt so that it replicates the factory version. I will post up photos of the finished product. I think I will be happy. thanks again for the info. There was alot more RAM mount stuff than I was aware of!
$22 on rammount.com! RAM-B-273SS-M6U base. STAINLESS, M6 hole, hex, 1" ball | eBay

Confirmed. It is a M6-1. (1 is the thread pitch). The hole is ~15mm deep and the threads stop between 7-8mm down. Just chuck your stud up in a drill, lock it on high and hold a stone or file to the bottom threads you want to remove. The reason I say the two mounting points are superior is that the threaded insert will see dynamic moments on all axes. A longer arm and more mass will increase these moments. The extended tail past the threads of the original may be there to help limit lateral movement. The insert is probably mounted pretty well in the shell but there is still a possibility of it loosening over time. Your plate may help if it lays flush with the face of the controller, is rigid enough, and the ball has enough shoulder to transfer force to the plate. It will probably look a little hokey though. Would I do it on my own? Yes. Would I do it for someone else and guarantee long-term serviceability? probably not. Pretty cool mod, though. If I need help sleeping tonight i'll model how I would do it if you feel like there is too much weight swinging around on there.

Confirmed. It is a M6-1. (1 is the thread pitch). The hole is ~15mm deep and the threads stop between 7-8mm down. Just chuck your stud up in a drill, lock it on high and hold a stone or file to the bottom threads you want to remove. The reason I say the two mounting points are superior is that the threaded insert will see dynamic moments on all axes. A longer arm and more mass will increase these moments. The extended tail past the threads of the original may be there to help limit lateral movement. The insert is probably mounted pretty well in the shell but there is still a possibility of it loosening over time. Your plate may help if it lays flush with the face of the controller, is rigid enough, and the ball has enough shoulder to transfer force to the plate. It will probably look a little hokey though. Would I do it on my own? Yes. Would I do it for someone else and guarantee long-term serviceability? probably not. Pretty cool mod, though. If I need help sleeping tonight i'll model how I would do it if you feel like there is too much weight swinging around on there.
I'll take any and all advice! I'm here to learn and get ideas :) Model away if you feel up to it.

And here is just showing the initial prototype. I honestly think that a 3D Printed version that widens out and distributes the weight/force over the 2" area will be fine. The bolt will give support as well. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. The hole for the 6mm bolt was at 90° to the plane but you can see in the photo that the shaft would need to be angled slightly. That long 6mm bolt is all I had to test with. Again, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

cameringo_20181211_130034.jpg
cameringo_20181211_130417.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4