how do you pre-cache the map on a Android Tablet

Reaction score
how do you Cache a map on a Asus Nexus 7 ? I went out to fly today out in back and I thought I had my map cached, but when I flew the map was all white with little squares. Thank you for your hand and help. Gotta go start the grill before my wife grills me!!!

If you forget to cache or if cache doesn't work you can use your phone as a hotspot so your tablet can cache them again. Normally I'd have my tablet on WiFi at home and just zoom in using the Google maps app and it caches, now that's on the p2v+ but phone hotspotting it will do the trick

Take a drive and find an open hotspot.

I fly with my tablet connected to cell hotspot and it works fine....
Or connect to cell hotspot, let the maps download before flying and without turning the pilot app off, turn off wifi.
The map info will stay.
Some tablets when you turn the app off will reset the cache.

On other forums, I've seen Android users mention they open Google Maps and scroll around the area they'll be flying. Google Maps apparently has a feature that'll cache maps for ~30 days. The DJI Pilot application will then be able to use those cached maps since it uses Google Maps.

Disclaimer:
I don't own an Android device :)

how do you Cache a map on a Asus Nexus 7 ?
On the Nexus 7, it's a simple matter of opening the app at home, making the map window full screen and zooming into the area you are planning to fly. Just look around at the area in the detail level you want to see and that's it.
If you don't go down to high detail, the app will not cache at high detail and when you try to soom into the large scale map, it will just show blank white squares.

On other forums, I've seen Android users mention they open Google Maps and scroll around the area they'll be flying. Google Maps apparently has a feature that'll cache maps for ~30 days. The DJI Pilot application will then be able to use those cached maps since it uses Google Maps.

Disclaimer:
I don't own an Android device :)
There's something in this, I seem to be able to get reasonable resolution maps outside fully cached areas. It is using google maps and you aren't absolutely obliged to view the area in advance from within the app.
It is all a bit of a mystery not aided by DJIs inability to send out additional batteries so use/testing is severely restricted.
The hotspot idea is all very well if you have coverage, here you can't even send a text over wide areas nevermind get 3G

So, disclaimer up front, I don't have my P3 yet... but I do have my Nexus 7 in prep for it.... I just tried caching the maps in both google maps and the DJI pilot app...

I have the Nexus 7(second version with back camera) with no data plan... in prep for my P3.

I zoomed in to an "intended area" while on wifi, then turned wifi off and tried again... Results:

Google maps kept the maps with wifi off.

DJI app was the same, all zoomed in portions were kept.... Actually more areas were kept (that I didn't zoom in on) than the google maps application.

Next, I turned off the tablet (wifi still off) and back on (still wifi off) "Location" was still "On"... Results:

Google maps was the same, cached all maps as before.

DJI app asked if I "wanted to connect to the internet" (I said no), result was the same as before "power off"... Same cached maps at the same zoom level

Glad you asked the question, hadn't thought to try this test yet, now I'm glad I did, I think it will work in the field where I intend to fly it.

-D

Thanks guys, I don't know what happened today. I just didn't have the area on my Nexus 7. I will try again tomorrow.
Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20