How Do I attach a dome light to the top of the P3P?

Reaction score
So I got these dome lights a red beacon for the top of the drone and a white one for the bottom. Anyone know of any ways to attach it to the top of the drone easily? It has a good amount of clearance from the props. Around 4 inches.
Pictured below are the lights.
51jaoH57JyL._SL1200_.jpg

Take care not to screw up the GPS signal on the top..

DG.
Learned that was up there when I crashed it into a tree. And then it fell into a pond.. Took it apart and fixed it though haha.. Trying to find a way without drilling.

Top of shell, center, should be avoided for any accessory other than non-metal containing items such as skins or decals due to the previously mentioned GPS receiver location.
Will this really be effective since it won’t be visible to you in typical flight?

Reactions: Oso
Top of shell, center, should be avoided for any accessory other than non-metal containing items such as skins or decals due to the previously mentioned GPS receiver location.
Will this really be effective since it won’t be visible to you in typical flight?
So the beacon on top would be for other aircraft mainly. I live near an airport outside of the 5 mile radius but it doesn't hurt to take extra precautions.

It's sounds to me like you are not hearing what the guys are telling you about the gps signal. It's not just about drilling into the top, it's anything on top that will block the gps signal.

It's sounds to me like you are not hearing what the guys are telling you about the gps signal. It's not just about drilling into the top, it's anything on top that will block the gps signal.
I did in fact read those wrong. Any suggestions on where else the light could be put on?

U can also use the Lume Cubes. Best place for them, is on both outer side of the leg, with zip ties.

Take extreme care ....

Pal of mine with his P3A crashed because the light he fitted under caused the VPS to react even though he was much higher than VPS is used ... he had to rebuild his P3 !

Anything mounted top centre sits dead smack over the GPS receiver. It is not only metal that affects GPS reception - but also electrical activity etc.

I want to mount a SOLOSHOT3 tag on my P3P ... but reluctant to place top and centre for that reason.

Nigel

Not sure if this helps or not, but I did purchase one of these; DJI Phantom 3 LED Light Kit.
The main power pack does sit on the top of the P3. I was always curious about the GPS interference concern, but never had an issue with many flights.
I don't use it all that much anymore, but perhaps something for you to think about?

IMHO you'd be much better off going with another lighting source and mounting it anywhere but over the center top of the UAS.

@msinger can offer very bright, small form factor, and economical options that are proven to work day in and day out.

Our club has flown FLAGS ... BANNERS ... LIGHTS ... STREAMERS from P3's ... RC planes .... and has a lot of experience of this.

We have parties where night flying goes on the beach etc.

When he fitted that Strobe to his P3A ... it was fine till he switched it on .... then it went crazy ! The VPS was totally confused by it even though light was not shining at the VPS ...

Nigel

If we want to do LIGHTS on P3's now - we grab our P3S owners !! They don't have VPS ....

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl