Need Suggestions for Possible Replacement Drones

Reaction score
I am looking for a drone to replace my DJI Phantom 4 Pro (Version 1) drone. I have done some research on the Internet for possible drone candidates. However, I am not entirely familiar with all of their technical and specific capabilities and features. I ask for your recommendations for drone models, including any of their possible sub-models (e.g. low-end, mid-range, and top-end sub-models), which are current or 2023 models, that I might consider for purchase.

I do not have a specific model or price range in mind. What I am looking for is a current generation or 2023 model drone that is either comparable to or better than the Phantom 4 Pro in terms of features and capabilities. For price, I would prefer to keep it around the price that I paid for the Phantom 4 Pro (approximately $1500 in 2017), but I am flexible on the prices being higher and lower than what I paid for the Phantom 4 Pro. Currently, I am not doing Hollywood-level or complex aerial video or photography shots. However, I am looking for a safe and reliable drone that is capable of taking high quality videos and images if I decide to either do a startup business or join or conduct other services that involve such tasks and can serve my needs well for the next two to three years.

My primary and secondary drone requirements are listed below:

• Primary
    • Camera
      • Adjustable angle capability
      • Sits on a gimbal or other appropriate device for good stability both in flight and while taking aerial videos and photos
      • Captures images at 20 megapixels or better
      • Captures video at 4K or better
    • Flight time of 30 minutes or longer
    • At least four-direction obstacle avoidance capability
    • Return-to-home capability
    • Drone automatically stops and/or turns around when nearing limits of signal range
    • GPS capability (If possible, GPS information for both aerial videos and photos)
    • Swappable batteries (If possible, options for higher capacity batteries for longer flights)
    • Propeller guard attachments
    • Landing gear or leg extensions to provide better clearance for bottom of drone (If applicable)
    • Remote with built-in display (If it can be fully operated without requiring a smartphone, mobile, or internet connection during flight)
  • Secondary
    • Easily repair or replace parts after minor damage or accidents (If possible)
    • Programmable flight and control range perimeter
    • Emergency stop and hover capability (If possible)
    • Emergency shutdown capability (If possible)
    • Foldable body and/or propellers
    • Capabilities for following people and/or moving objects
Please note that I do not expect a drone to meet all of these requirements, but at least a good portion of these requirements. Currently, my research has listed the DJI Mini 3 Pro, DJI Air 2S, and DJI Mavic 3 Pro drones as possible candidates. However, I would appreciate your suggestions and recommendations on whether these three models, their sub-models, and/or other drone brands and/or models could best meet my needs.

Thanks.

My primary and secondary drone requirements are listed below: ...

Please note that I do not expect a drone to meet all of these requirements, but at least a good portion of these requirements. Currently, my research has listed the DJI Mini 3 Pro, DJI Air 2S, and DJI Mavic 3 Pro drones as possible candidates. However, I would appreciate your suggestions and recommendations on whether these three models, their sub-models,
The models you list have all or almost all of the features you listed.
and/or other drone brands and/or models could best meet my needs.
There's still no other manufacturer making drones to compete with DJI's design and quality.

Reactions: gppms and JimD.
The Mavic 3 Classic is a steal. At 2/3 the price of M3Pro the only thing it's missing is the camera zoom. And for $150 more you get the DJI controller with built in 5" HD display and don't have to mess with a separate phone/tablet and all that nonesense.

A whole new experience from the Phantom series.

Stay away from the Mini 3 series, the Air 2S / Mavic 3 Pro should be your focus , however the Air 3/S is around the Corner and may offer a really good upgrade for you as well as some New Tech .

Autel has some interesting aspects as well , but lacks so much of the Accesories made ready for the DJI .

Phantomrain.org
Wet Suits to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Thank you for your responses. I have a follow up to my previous information request. After doing some more research I have now narrowed my possible drone candidates to the DJI Mavic 3 Pro and the DJI Mavic 3 Classic. According to the web site that I used to conduct my research between these two unmanned aircraft, these appeared to be the major differences between them:

Source article: DJI Mavic 3 Pro vs DJI Mavic 3 Classic: What's the difference?

• The DJI Mavic 3 Classic arrived in late 2022 and DJI Mavic 3 Pro arrived in May 2023
  • Mavic 3 Pro is slightly larger both folded and unfolded
  • Mavic 3 Pro has telephoto camera
    • Has a three-camera system
    • 20-megapixel camera
    • 48-megapixel tele-camera
    • 12-megapixel tele-camera
    • Captures video at 5.1K at up to 50 fps
    • Captures video at 4K at up to 120 fps
    • Supports Apple ProRes
  • “The main wide-angle Hasselblad camera is the same as that on the Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Classic and is the best of the three to use in low-light settings. The medium telephoto, meanwhile, offers a 70mm perspective, making it possible to snap clear images with a compressed viewpoint and layered background without having to come too close to your subject. This makes the camera ideal for shooting wildlife or people without bothering them.”
  • Mavic 3 Classic has single 20-megapixel camera
    • Captures video at 5.1K at up to 50 fps
    • Captures video at 4K at up to 120 fps
    • No Apple ProRes support
  • “We haven’t reviewed the Classic, but the 20-megapixel sensor is the same great camera found on the Pro, so we’d expect it to offer similar performance minus the telephoto sensors and Apple ProRes support.”
  • “The Mavic 3 Pro weighs 958g, while the Mavic 3 Classic weighs 895g”
  • “The Pro has a max flight time of 43 minutes and a max hovering time of 37 minutes, while the Classic has a max flight time of 46 minutes and a max hovering time of 40 minutes. This means the battery life on the Classic is capable of lasting around 3-4 minutes longer than that on the Pro.

• This is likely due to the fact the Pro is heavier, with two more cameras and better specs that need powering.”
  • “It’s worth noting that the Pro is able to charge 26 minutes faster using a 100W adapter. However, both drones take just over an hour and a half to charge using the 65W charger provided in the box.”
  • “Both the Mavic 3 Pro and the Mavic 3 Classic pack 8GB of internal storage, allowing users to store approximately 7.9GB of stills and video.

• However, the Mavic 3 Pro is also available in a Cine edition, which carries 1TB of internal storage for 934.8GB of stills and video.

• Both drones also support expandable storage, with microSD cards up to 512GB supported in both devices.”
  • “Finally, the DJI Mavic 3 Classic is quite a bit more affordable than the Mavic 3 Pro with prices starting at $1599/£1399 to the Mavic 3 Pro’s $2199/£1879.”
Please note that I am not an expert on all drone features and capabilities. Based on the notes that I took, my understanding is the that the major differences between the DJI Mavic 3 Pro and DJI Mavic 3 Classic are that the Pro has a more advanced three-camera system, more internal file storage available on at least certain Pro variants, and a faster charging time, while the Classic uses a single camera, weighs less, and has a slightly longer flight time. All other features and capabilities on both drones appear to be nearly identical based on my understanding from my research. You can correct me if I am mistaken or missed something.

As stated in my previous message, I am not doing Hollywood-level or super complex aerial video or photo shots or editing. However, I am seeking a drone that can take high quality and good detailed aerial video and photo captures as well as being a safe and reliable platform in flight. If I do setup a startup business or setup or perform another professional drone service, I would like the drone to serve me well for the next two to three years doing aerial photo and video projects in such possible cases like roof inspections, construction inspections, family events, local sporting events, and local parades. Again, I am not an expert on all drone features and capabilities. I wish to avoid purchasing a product that may be overkill for my needs. Would the DJI Mavic 3 Classic be capable of fulfilling my drone needs or would I be better off with the DJI Mavic 3 Pro? I appreciate your time, assistance, and recommendations.

Thanks.

If you're picking between the Pro (non-Cine) and the Classic, you have to decide whether the telephoto capabilities of the Pro are worth the additional USD800. That depends on what you want to do with your drone and what else you might like to do with that $800. There are lots of video reviews online showing what the Mavic 3's telephoto lenses are capable of.

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies. I also just learned that DJI released the Air 3 drone which I am now also considering as a possible candidate for a drone replacement. One review stated that fliers should consider getting ND filters if flying the DJI Air 3. Now, as I have stated before I am not planning to do Hollywood-level or crazy over the top video and photo shots and editing. My plans are to use the drone that I select for purchase to practice flights for both practicing maneuvers and building flight hours and possibly do videos and photos on missions such as roof inspections, family and social events, or local events such as parades and community sports. I did a general research on the web covering ND filters. My questions are should I get ND filters if the drone I purchase doesn't have them? If yes, should I get variable or fixed ND filters or both? If I should get ND filters, what brands and models would you recommend that are considered both reputable and reasonable in price? Thanks.

I did a general research on the web covering ND filters. My questions are should I get ND filters if the drone I purchase doesn't have them? If yes, should I get variable or fixed ND filters or both? If I should get ND filters, what brands and models would you recommend that are considered both reputable and reasonable in price? Thanks.
This topic would perhaps be better served in its own thread. The only purpose of ND filters on drones is to introduce motion blur to give a more 'natural' look to video. And there are only a limited range of conditions in which you might need them: In particular, a combination of flying in bright light, relatively low and relatively fast over textured surfaces, or possibly where you have fast moving subjects moving across your field of view - such as cars on a road. As far as stills are concerned, using ND filters for affect is fairly niche - think slow shutter speeds that defy a drone's ability to not move and blur everything in picture.

There's a lot of information out there. If you haven't discovered Ted Nemeth's YouTube channel, I can recommend it. He's not a big fan of ND filters on drones. Check out these two vids:

Last edited:
One review stated that fliers should consider getting ND filters if flying the DJI Air 3. ... My questions are should I get ND filters if the drone I purchase doesn't have them?
The need to use ND filters is one of the great myths around drone flying.
In general, if you don't know whether you need them ...you don't need them.
And having them on the camera for still photography is a very bad idea.
Unless you have a particular reason to force a slower shutter speed than otherwise possible, there is no reason to use ND filters for drone photogrpahy.
Having them on the camera reduces the light levels much more than most users realise and just makes photography more difficult.

Reactions: Pygar70
If you are looking for a very good drone look at AIR2S. With the Air 3 being released just a few days ago the AIR2S is much cheaper on the market now. You get a great overall drone for a great price. I use it to take a lot of professional shots still and video for clients in the Fortune 500. Granted there are better drones out there with better cameras, but the AIR2S is a great drone for great shooting.

I am looking for a drone to replace my DJI Phantom 4 Pro (Version 1) drone. I have done some research on the Internet for possible drone candidates. However, I am not entirely familiar with all of their technical and specific capabilities and features. I ask for your recommendations for drone models, including any of their possible sub-models (e.g. low-end, mid-range, and top-end sub-models), which are current or 2023 models, that I might consider for purchase.

I do not have a specific model or price range in mind. What I am looking for is a current generation or 2023 model drone that is either comparable to or better than the Phantom 4 Pro in terms of features and capabilities. For price, I would prefer to keep it around the price that I paid for the Phantom 4 Pro (approximately $1500 in 2017), but I am flexible on the prices being higher and lower than what I paid for the Phantom 4 Pro. Currently, I am not doing Hollywood-level or complex aerial video or photography shots. However, I am looking for a safe and reliable drone that is capable of taking high quality videos and images if I decide to either do a startup business or join or conduct other services that involve such tasks and can serve my needs well for the next two to three years.

My primary and secondary drone requirements are listed below:

• Primary
    • Camera
      • Adjustable angle capability
      • Sits on a gimbal or other appropriate device for good stability both in flight and while taking aerial videos and photos
      • Captures images at 20 megapixels or better
      • Captures video at 4K or better
    • Flight time of 30 minutes or longer
    • At least four-direction obstacle avoidance capability
    • Return-to-home capability
    • Drone automatically stops and/or turns around when nearing limits of signal range
    • GPS capability (If possible, GPS information for both aerial videos and photos)
    • Swappable batteries (If possible, options for higher capacity batteries for longer flights)
    • Propeller guard attachments
    • Landing gear or leg extensions to provide better clearance for bottom of drone (If applicable)
    • Remote with built-in display (If it can be fully operated without requiring a smartphone, mobile, or internet connection during flight)
  • Secondary
    • Easily repair or replace parts after minor damage or accidents (If possible)
    • Programmable flight and control range perimeter
    • Emergency stop and hover capability (If possible)
    • Emergency shutdown capability (If possible)
    • Foldable body and/or propellers
    • Capabilities for following people and/or moving objects
Please note that I do not expect a drone to meet all of these requirements, but at least a good portion of these requirements. Currently, my research has listed the DJI Mini 3 Pro, DJI Air 2S, and DJI Mavic 3 Pro drones as possible candidates. However, I would appreciate your suggestions and recommendations on whether these three models, their sub-models, and/or other drone brands and/or models could best meet my needs.

Thanks.
I think the best bang for the buck is Mavic 2 Zoom, Pro, Zoom enterprise, Mavic 2 Dual, Air2S but Even a mavic 4 is not gonna be much better than a Mavic 3 Cine Premium which has ProRes. I know this because I have all of them. If you want Large might sound funny but an Inspire 1 Pro or Raw can acually do things (run thermal) an Inspire 2 can not. But both are better than your P4P.Inspire 2 with an X7 is pretty awsome. All of these at very capable IMHO and depending on choice can be had between 900 and 3700 bucks!

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl