Is it worth sending in a crashed P4P to DJI for a repair price quote?

My only two cents is insurance. If youre in the US I pay State Farm $60.00 per year for coverage of my p4p+, p4p obsidian and a p3pro. Ive had one
claim where my p4p+ just fell out of the sky, they just wanted pictures, let me keep the p4p+ and 5 days later I had a check in the mailbox for replacement and they said let us know if we can help again.
Just a thought but it feels a lot more relaxing knowing I have someone to help out
Good luck ✌️
Martin- did you already Have state farm for your insurance and other things, or did they allow you to take out an insurance policy on the drone all by itself? And what happened to the insurance and the premiums after the accident?

Have sent crashed drones to DJI THREE times! Battery failure twice, stupidity once! No warrenty on any of them. Each time receiced a new drone! Highest cost of the three was $312.00! SEND IT IN!!!,

So DJI repair service won’t fix in depth issues. They will replace anything that requires soldering, advanced flashing or “gatekeeper” repair. The P4 series gimbal yaw motor assembly is what I call “gatekeeper” (the yaw motor housing is calibrated to the roll/yaw esc board on the gimbal) so the repair cap for a tear down of the old motor, salvage the housing and install it on a new coil/ribbon cable set. DJI wouldn’t do this, so you’ll just receive (and pay for) a new gimbal. Bottom shell replacement requires soldering esc motor wires. You’re probably looking at a new drone body as well. Im going to guess your quote from DJI will be around $800-$1000 plus shipping and you would receive a refurbished unit.
3rd party services (such as myself) would charge you parts plus labor and most likely repair the actual damaged components. I know it looks bad but crashes like this are common, and if there is no damage to the gimbal main board stack, your main controller or your camera housing, you’re looking at around $200 in parts plus labor from a 3rd party.

I recently totaled a P4P Obsidian and it looked almost exactly like yours as far as damage goes. It had some other little problems before the crash as well like it couldn't fly in a straight line and its range was decreasing every time I flew it. I Did the online repair request thing and printed out a shipping label. DJI Received it in about 3 days and had a quote for me within 24hrs of receiving it. They sent me an itemized list of all the things that needed replacing. (Basically everything)along with labor. The total for my totaled P4P was to be $580. I paid it and within 24hrs they sent me a notice to say it was shipped. I got it in 2 days and opened up the package to find a brand new, not refurbished Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian. I feel like I got a good deal as the price for the Obsidians hasn't moved since their release. I'm sure you've been looking around and have noticed there's no way you're getting a P4P for $580, much less a new one. I highly recommend sending totaled P4P's to DJI for repair as everyone I know that has sent in a demolished one has recieved a brand new one for a reasonable deal.

I've had worse damage at 50' drop. No, not worth sending in. Cannibalize what parts you can and sell them.

It's actually insured through State Farm, and I can certainly submit a claim. Problem is it sounds like a little over half the people who've submitted as claim get paid, then their policy is cancelled within a few weeks. I've got 2 other Drones and other camera gear on that Personal Articles policy, and I don't want it cancelled if the alternative is a service cost that ends up just being a few hundred bucks.
Here's the deal with that. Ask the people that had their policies cancelled what they had on their personal articles policy and I'd bet dollars to donuts that they will say "just the drone". So if they crash their drone and it was the only thing on the policy of course the policy is cancelled because there's nothing left to insure. Like you I have many things on my Personal articles policy. When I made a claim for a crashed P4P they didn't ask any questions, they didn't ask for the broken drone, and they didn't cancel my policy. In fact, the adjuster asked me "If you decide to use the money to replace your drone with a new one, would you like for us to add it to your existing policy, no extra charge?" And that's exactly what I did. State Farm is awesome.

Here's the deal with that. Ask the people that had their policies cancelled what they had on their personal articles policy and I'd bet dollars to donuts that they will say "just the drone". So if they crash their drone and it was the only thing on the policy of course the policy is cancelled because there's nothing left to insure. Like you I have many things on my Personal articles policy. When I made a claim for a crashed P4P they didn't ask any questions, they didn't ask for the broken drone, and they didn't cancel my policy. In fact, the adjuster asked me "If you decide to use the money to replace your drone with a new one, would you like for us to add it to your existing policy, no extra charge?" And that's exactly what I did. State Farm is awesome.
That's a good point, and what I'm currently hoping for. I suspect that those who received reimbursement then cancellation had intended to continue their policy on the replacement drone, but you're right, that may not be enough. I'll be calling our local agent on Monday.

sorry to say this dear pilot... but I think you may have to send it to get a price quote...

My experiences with DJI have also been good. And as Starz said they will simply send you another one either new or refurbished (you will have to relink to you controller and to be legal get a new FAA registration as it will be a new SN). However, when the camera has been trashed, and it looks like yours has, the cost is going to be pretty steep. As some of your other forum friends have advised there are other options too. Good luck.
My understanding is that my FFA registration covers every drone I own. No individual registration is necessary. I just have to have my FAA number attached to each drone.

Reactions: dirkclod
The faa site does ask for S/N which would seem to imply registration for each drone. I'm a 107 pilot and do some missions for pay; I don't know if it might be different for recreational flyers. I've paid the $5 every time I got a new S/N drone. Good luck.

Reactions: MTO
The faa site does ask for S/N which would seem to imply registration for each drone. I'm a 107 pilot and do some missions for pay; I don't know if it might be different for recreational flyers. I've paid the $5 every time I got a new S/N drone. Good luck.

This is correct. For recreational flying you register YOURSELF, and apply the registration number to all of your aircraft over 250 grams. For non-recreational/Part 107 flying you register each aircraft (regardless of weight) and apply the individual registration to that specific aircraft.

Reactions: MTO and dirkclod
I could fix it. Lol. I have repaired hundreds just like it. The question is
Would you trust it ??
Depends on who fixes it.

Reactions: Capt KO
My P4P fell out of the sky from 200' yesterday, debris and flight log point to the battery popped out mid-flight. I'm trying to get a feel for whether or not it would be worth it to send it in to DJI for possible repair. I've heard encouraging stories of getting near-new replacement refurb drones for just a few hundred dollars, and contrasting stories where a drone is sent to DJI for a simple single fault and they return a laundry list of problems that the owner wasn't aware of. Gory pictures below. Obviously damaged components are the main body top and bottom, gimbal arm and ribbon cable snapped, landing gear bent, Nav light bezels popped off. The camera itself doesn't appear to have taken much impact but the yaw motor that's till mounted in the underside of the body is noticeably bent to one side. And obviously the battery was toast and the props damaged, but those aren't really going to be part of the quote for repair.

I'm guessing I won't be able to receive a ballpark quote from DJI based on pictures alone, or am I wrong? I mean, if they can look at pictures and say it'll probably be $1000 then it's obviously not worth the effort to repair.

How does DJI handle shipping costs once a repair ticket is opened? Would I need to cover the cost of shipping either or both ways? I'm out in Hawaii, so shipping a box that size would be fairly costly. I'm worried the repair bill will be too high and then I'll need to pay an inflated shipping rate to get the carcass back. If that's the case I may be better off parting it out rather than sending it to DJI in the first place.

Please let me know your thoughts and personal experience.

Thanks!

View attachment 121197
View attachment 121198

View attachment 121199
Short version: You have nothing to lose by sending it to DJI. And you might be pleasantly surprised by the cost and quality of the repair.

Contact DJI's repair service. They will typically ship free to and from their service center. You'll get a quote, based on what parts are broken, plus a flat labor fee - I think for a P4Pro, it's about $150 plus parts. Most people, including myself, have been pleasantly surprised at the repair prices. The prices they charge for parts is about the same as, or better than you'll find anywhere online. That's a happy / unhappy lesson I learned, after buying a lot of parts.

They'll send you instructions and what you can or can't send back to them.

Looking at your pictures, don't be surprised if their quote comes back around $300. And, don't be surprised if what comes back from DJI is a brand new (or factory-fresh refurbished) drone. When I sent the thoroughly trashed and dismantled (parts missing) X5 camera for my Inspire 1, the quote was less than $300, and what looks like a brand new camera came back. The whole process, from contacting them, to having my 'repaired' camera arrive was about 3 weeks including passing through customs in each direction (New Brunswick, Canada to California and back).

Martin- did you already Have state farm for your insurance and other things, or did they allow you to take out an insurance policy on the drone all by itself? And what happened to the insurance and the premiums after the accident?
I just saw this today, I hope it is from today….no I don’t have any other insurance with State Farm, only the 3 drones. I replaced the crashed P4P+ with the Obsidian. I just added another P4P+ to the policy and the premium is still $ 60.00, and I got a Christmas card from them.
It’s called a personal articles policy…Good luck✌️

Registration goes to the owner not the drone. I have the same number on all of my drones. 12 at one time but down to 5. Looks like a parts drone but there are P4P’s available at good prices. Some drone only. Good luck.
For recreational flyers you are correct. But For part 107 pilots you certainly DO have to register each drone individually.

My P4P fell out of the sky from 200' yesterday, debris and flight log point to the battery popped out mid-flight. I'm trying to get a feel for whether or not it would be worth it to send it in to DJI for possible repair. I've heard encouraging stories of getting near-new replacement refurb drones for just a few hundred dollars, and contrasting stories where a drone is sent to DJI for a simple single fault and they return a laundry list of problems that the owner wasn't aware of. Gory pictures below. Obviously damaged components are the main body top and bottom, gimbal arm and ribbon cable snapped, landing gear bent, Nav light bezels popped off. The camera itself doesn't appear to have taken much impact but the yaw motor that's till mounted in the underside of the body is noticeably bent to one side. And obviously the battery was toast and the props damaged, but those aren't really going to be part of the quote for repair.

I'm guessing I won't be able to receive a ballpark quote from DJI based on pictures alone, or am I wrong? I mean, if they can look at pictures and say it'll probably be $1000 then it's obviously not worth the effort to repair.

How does DJI handle shipping costs once a repair ticket is opened? Would I need to cover the cost of shipping either or both ways? I'm out in Hawaii, so shipping a box that size would be fairly costly. I'm worried the repair bill will be too high and then I'll need to pay an inflated shipping rate to get the carcass back. If that's the case I may be better off parting it out rather than sending it to DJI in the first place.

Please let me know your thoughts and personal experience.

Thanks!

View attachment 121197
View attachment 121198

View attachment 121199
Send an email to the DJI service Center. They'll typically pay the cost of shipping, give you an estimate - prices are less than you'd expect- and pay return shipping back to you.
I don't have the link handy but there's a list of all the replacement part and service prices on their site. I'd be surprised if their estimate came to more than $400 but you'll have to get yourself a new battery. Based on the condition of your drone, I would also expect that you'll get a new replacement, rather than repairs.

Reactions: dirkclod
Sent 4 drones to them over the years! Two were wrecked worse that yours. Highest price I paid was $312.00. They sent a replacement drone. For me, well worth sending it in!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan