Ive no idea what code they use but what DiB asks for would be something like this methinks ...

<snip code>

Look good to you DiB?
If (DiB.IsHappy==1)
{
Knock yourself out DJI/Litchi etc
}
:)

EDIT: Checked the AndroidSDK seems its Java, shouldnt be too hard to translate ;)

DiB.IsHappy==1 indeed!

That's basically it! Safe simple powerful needed - I pray that DJI goes for it (or at least someone else does, pressuring DJI to "feature catch up"

Thanks Cobs!

I understand you are providing a solution for safety when someone operates NOT in LOS like going behind a tree or a building.

Cases are different when someone loses signal within LOS.

Agreed - but, consider; logically. If you were flying along and you lost signal - where is the MOST likely place to regain it? Would that place be right where it was last? i.e., back up to last known good position.

Even flying in LOS, if you lose signal and then suddenly take off in an entirely new path (the one straight line back home via standard RTH) you are exploring new terrority and no promise that you'll regain signal quicker. I respectfully submit that the best chance to regain signal is to go back to where you saw it last.

Folks! I guess I should never have mentioned "Return to Home" at all.

This is not that and doesn't replace it.

Clear your mind of that function - please try to focus on the scenario.

You are flying and you go behind a bunch of trees or a building. You lose signal. Are you wanting to throw away the entire flight and go all the way back home or... just back up a little bit, regain signal, then resume flying?

I'm suggesting a "back up" function. Back out of what got me here.

Frankly in all my hundreds of flights, I have never wanted to push one button and automatically come straight back home blindly as I grab a beer or go watch tv. I've always flown missions that I took off, flew out, then came back and landed. And almost all of them looked like elongated circles, I didn't come back on the same original line.

This is. To RTH - talk about your new ideas for new RTH in your own threads. This is back up, regain signal and continue flying yourself. (Though BURGCFY is a bit long)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

It's a good idea!

When I start losing signal and it's going in and out, I stop, and backup to get it back.

Makes sense to me.

#2manyknowitalls

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

When I'm flying and I start to lose the signal. I stop. Then I back up a bit and try a different route. Works often.

Sometimes I'm flying and I accidentally go behind something; a tree most often or a building, train or boat that I'm doing rotating views around. ALL I need to do is to just backup a little bit and the signal will come back.

Maybe we can call this the "Back Up" function - it just goes backwards until canceled. I expect that as soon as signal is returned pilots will either hit RTH or just resume flying as before.

Currently - even if we are only a few feet away from a safe return to flight, it goes into a totally blind vertical climb and then starts forward at an altitude that was set before the flight (hopefully a good enough one). Only if we are lucky will the front only facing OA system on a P4 save P4 pilots, everyone else is SOL.

My proposal will work with any drone that has a flight log with GPS breadcrumbs. Stop, hover a moment, then start backing up along a known, safe path until restore communications and then pass control back to where it belongs, the pilot. It's safer and more logical.

When I'm flying and I start to lose the signal. I stop. Then I back up a bit and try a different route. Works often.

Sometimes I'm flying and I accidentally go behind something; a tree most often or a building, train or boat that I'm doing rotating views around. ALL I need to do is to just backup a little bit and the signal will come back.

Maybe we can call this the "Back Up" function - it just goes backwards until canceled. I expect that as soon as signal is returned pilots will either hit RTH or just resume flying as before.

Currently - even if we are only a few feet away from a safe return to flight, it goes into a totally blind vertical climb and then starts forward at an altitude that was set before the flight (hopefully a good enough one). Only if we are lucky will the front only facing OA system on a P4 save P4 pilots, everyone else is SOL.

My proposal will work with any drone that has a flight log with GPS breadcrumbs. Stop, hover a moment, then start backing up along a known, safe path until restore communications and then pass control back to where it belongs, the pilot. It's safer and more logical.

If you lose complete ability to control the AC, then an auto backup is perfect for this. I'm sold!

Please also send this concept to Litchi, and if you can't or don't want to, let me know and I would be more than happy to communicate it to them on your behalf.

It's a good one!

Reactions: Drestin Black
On one hand, complete control is wanted to be able to override safety features not agreed with.

Now there's a call for auto-backup or other similar (auto) maneuvers to try and anticipate certain conditions.

On one hand, complete control is wanted to be able to override safety features not agreed with.

Now there's a call for auto-backup or other similar (auto) maneuvers to try and anticipate certain conditions.

They work together logically.

While the pilot is in communication, controlling the craft, he should be in total control.

When communications has been lost, by definition, the pilot is not in control and we welcome automated assistance to regain control.
That doesn't mean that once lost and automatic it should say that way. Once communications are reestablished relinquish control back to the pilot.

Best of both worlds.

Great, let us know when DJI replies to your suggestions.

Reactions: Drestin Black
Agreed - but, consider; logically. If you were flying along and you lost signal - where is the MOST likely place to regain it? Would that place be right where it was last? i.e., back up to last known good position.

Even flying in LOS, if you lose signal and then suddenly take off in an entirely new path (the one straight line back home via standard RTH) you are exploring new terrority and no promise that you'll regain signal quicker. I respectfully submit that the best chance to regain signal is to go back to where you saw it last.

We are expected to fly in LOS and not behind the trees and buildings or structures.

What's the reason for losing a signal when you are in LOS? Will taking a step back improve the chances of getting signal back?

Reactions: konidair
We are expected to fly in LOS and not behind the trees and buildings or structures.
We are not all perfect all the time. Accidents happen.

What's the reason for losing a signal when you are in LOS? Will taking a step back improve the chances of getting signal back?
Distance -- going back puts you into signal again.
You are thinking of your straight line back is better RTH scenario again aren't you?
Ok imagine you are standing in an nice open field as the FAA would like us all to have and be content with. You are flying in a cone in front of you. You are going in a curve like an ice cream scoop at the top of this cone. But as you fly from left to right suddenly you go behind a tree to your right. Accidentally.
If straight line turns on, it will fly straight back to take off, which keeps it in line with the tree, staying out of contact and out of los and potentially in danger.
In my version. It backs up along the path it came, a known good path, not some mysterious new one. And seconds later signal is restored and all is well.

If you lose complete ability to control the AC, then an auto backup is perfect for this. I'm sold!

Please also send this concept to Litchi, and if you can't or don't want to, let me know and I would be more than happy to communicate it to them on your behalf.

It's a good one!

Thank you - feel free to give them the "back up"'idea ;)

But I'd really want to see it in the base software. I can't think of a scenario where backing up wasn't preferable to blindly going up then flying an unknown straight line home.

Your welcome DiB :) Using Java it would need a rework of course, arent the developers of Litchi and other apps members here? Ive been looking through the SDK and it looks pretty straightforward to work with if you know Java (actually looks very similar to Python too). I dont know if DJI would add your idea but other developers should look into it, does DJI update its base app/s?

But I'd really want to see it in the base software. I can't think of a scenario where backing up wasn't preferable to blindly going up then flying an unknown straight line home.

I gave you a couple of examples before.
Imagine this scenario: You are filming a train in motion. You and your RC are located on the right side of the train and your drone starts flying at 6ft high, passing in front of the train and filming it's left side...and then you lose signal, your drone backtracks and crashes on the train that's now crossing your breadcrumbs trajectory.
As I have previously written, your idea is good, but nothing is more important than pre-planning your fligts, identifying hazards and simply setting the correct RTH altitude.

Also, IMHO 99% of the time going up and straight home is the safest option. Losing signal/connection with the drone is a scary situation especially if you are flying out of LOS. You don't know if your drone has fallen, if it still flies, if the battery is failing and what kind of other errors it might have during the rest of the flight, so it makes sense to get it back home asap.
I repeat this is my personal opinion but I would like to have a backtrack option available.

I agree with you on adding it to the base, but I would take what we could get.

Please add Retrace mode and battery efficiency mode (motors optimised for range). Thanks =)

I've been reading a lot on this forum and others. To me, the most common sources of crashes are: actually hitting something due to pilot error and return to home crashes.

I'd like to address this second category because there is a very easy solution to it, that can be done via software (firmware/app) and would benefit just about everyone. It's so simple I've thought about it a while before posting in case I'm missing something. And DJI Legal, I hereby relinquish any rights to this idea; you are free to implement it without compensation or acknowledgement to me, so long as you do not charge anything extra for this "feature."

Currently we have Return to Home and Smart Return to Home. Thank you, these have no doubt saved many folks in many instances. They have their limitations and problems though. They have to have the right altitude set, and it's done manually, before engagement. And there are limits to how high and also, on systems with Obsticle Avoidance, limitations on what to do should an unexpected obstacle be encountered. Many drones have been lost because RTH crashed into something by taking a as-the-bird-flys straight line back home path.

The solution elements are already already present on all the drones. A record of where the drone has flown and the ability to follow waypoints autonomously. The flight record has a very accurate "breadcrumb" trail and I way points can be programmed and followed, even while out of contact with the controller.

One last comment before I spit out the solution I'm sure many are guessing. In most cases we do not need to fly all the way back home automatically. The RTH function would co-exist with this new one, for times when a straight line, come back to home, is still required. My solution doesn't replace RTH.

The most common times SRTH is used is when the drone loses contact briefly with the controller. RTH kicks in and then just simplistically fly in a straight line back, only offering altitude (and maybe some front OA, if it's on and working) home. What pilots Really want in these instances is control of their craft back so they can resume flying safely and under control.

Back To Contact or BTC is my proposed name. When the drone loses connection, this system would first stop and hover the drone in place for, say, 3 seconds. Signal might resume for various reasons, let's give it a chance (and for the system to queue up what may come next).

If the connection is still missing after 3 seconds; the drone should read back from the flight log the GPS coordinates of the path it just safely flew and replay those waypoints and fly, essentially (if not physically), back along the path that had radio connectivity, it would fly along that path as long as necessary; eventually that would come home to land.

This would be both optional to engage and, of course, can be overridden at any time.

The simple idea: when the drone loses contact with the controller, stop, hover, then fly back along the path it just came, presumable back into signal range where the pilot can decide what to do himself.

Sincerely,
Happy DJI pilot seeking to be safer & happier one,
DiB

May be it could be done with the internal flightlog data. If your opinion might applied someday in new firmware update, once the quad loose signal, it will return to home through all points it has recorded in reversed order, right?

What about the battery life calculation?
We know that the battery bar on the top of apps display has the yellow marks which indicate the recommended power to one straigh way home. Many people fly their quad in some random shape arround home position for any purpose (except some people testing range, they fly straigh). The travel lenght might get thousands meters while the home distance only few hundred meters away. I guess this is the reason why DJI choose to go up and straigh to home rather than circling arround on the same path backward because it will need 2 times of battery you have used so far. Can you imagine if that happened when your battery is 30% remaining?

----------

Okay, your scenario is for additional features beside the current RTH routine, not to replace it.

That sounds good.

Sent from my SCL23 using PhantomPilots mobile app

May be it could be done with the internal flightlog data. If your opinion might applied someday in new firmware update, once the quad loose signal, it will return to home through all points it has recorded in reversed order, right?
----------
Okay, your scenario is for additional features beside the current RTH routine, not to replace it.

That sounds good.

Sent from my SCL23 using PhantomPilots mobile app

The solution is not intended to go all the way back home, just back far enough to reestablish communications. A Back Up function, using the internal flight log info.

Reactions: sinxa

DB,
I passed your concept over to VC Tech, aka Litchi, and the good new is they said good idea, the bad news is they can't make it happen. Looks like only DJI can affect an action after signal loss. Here's the reply they sent.

"While the idea is good, it is not something we can do on our end. Litchi cannot do anything after the signal is lost, only the firmware is able to control the drone at that point. We do not program the firmware, DJI does."

That seems incorrect to me considering Litchi is able to over-ride a failsafe using its waypoint missions, if using a breadcrumb mode it should be able to over-ride it happening, best way would be to add another option besides the others, waypoints/orbit/panorama/breadcrumb (or whatever name), as long as its loaded the waypoint info into the mode it should work (once programmed), fly as normal but it drops the breadcrumbs at intervals, just another flight mode/mission basically.

Perhaps he means they cant detect it losing the signal.

Some interesting code in there ...

public static synchronized DJIAircraft getAircraftInstance() {
if (!isAircraftConnected()) return null;
return (DJIAircraft) getProductInstance();

That looks like its checking for a connection, i think thats where to drop a breadcrumb, either every X amount of meters or every course change you get the AircraftInstance and drop a crumb, if a NULL is returned then you initiate the step-back.

Hmm...

@Override
protected int getMiddleBtnTextResourceId() {
return R.string.orientation_mode_home_lock;
}

Wonder if you can remap the homelock/courselock switches to do a different function, i dont ever remember even using those.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik