Help with updating firmware P3P

Reaction score
Trying to update firmware and having issues. Downloaded firmware from dji website, put sd card in P3P. Then powered on.

It appeared to start loading for 20-30 sec, then solid red light and continuous beep.

Gimbal board also gets pretty hot, unsure if this is normal.

The P3P and controller(gl300a) are both new to me. Bought them separately and have never flown this aircraft.

I cant connect to the app so i am unsure what firmware version is loaded on either of the units.

Results attached.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Attachments

• P3X_FW_RESULT_AB.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 259
Also, where can I find the download link for firmware version 1.3.20?

Thanks

I found a link for 1.3.2. Wouldnt load this version either. Without being able to connect to the app, Im unsure how to tell which firmware build I have installed on AC.

So I don’t know which will install correctly.

gimbal board also gets pretty hot, unsure if this is normal.
Sadly yes, this is normal especially with the P3P. We routinely warn people to use some sort of fan to blow on the gimbal during FW updates. The gimbal main (top) board is unfortunately susceptible to overheating leading to the too common "no image transmission" issue.

You can download FW files directly from DJI by going here.

This is the most often referenced FW update guide:
P3 Firmware - HOW TO: Install Phantom 3 firmware

Both of those links as well as a note about using a fan are included in the list of tips that I often share with new P3P/P3A owners.

As for your FW versions, try to find and post your LOG_AB file for us to review. It can also give a clue if your gimbal board is already having issues such as modules 8 and 15 showing as "device not detected."

Click here for more info on that if you are not aware about the LOG_AB file.

Last edited:
Reactions: bterrier
Okay thanks thats good to know. I was worried something had failed.

I will check out that guide when I get home, thanks for that

As for your FW versions, try to find and post your LOG_AB file for us to review. It can also give a clue if your gimbal board is already having issues such as modules 8 and 15

Please see my first post above. I believe I attached it to that post.

I forgot to ask. Have you now added that gimbal cable that you were missing the other day?

Okay thanks thats good to know. I was worried something had failed.

I will check out that guide when I get home, thanks for that

Please see my first post above. I believe I attached it to that post.
You attached the results file, not the LOG_AB file.

You attached the results file, not the LOG_AB file.

Im having trouble locating the log AB file. Also just an fyi, this is a fresh sd card never used in this phantom prior to today. I have just been loading fw on it and trying to load.

Is there something I need to do in order to make the AC write the log ab file to the card?

When I put the sd card in my computer, I do select the option to show hidden files and folders....but no luck

The gimbal main (top) board is unfortunately susceptible to overheating leading to the too common "no image transmission".

Is there a specific component on tue board that is known to burn out? The person I bought the gimbal from said the camera works and takes pictures and videos, but there is no live view.

Im not afraid of soldering and/or replacing components on a board

I have been working on this tonight. I had a solid green light on the controller to indicate a bind with the AC.

I then reset the controller and re-linked the RC with the AC. Now I have an intermittent red/green light. (trying to upload video clip but wont give me the option)

not sure where to go from here. Still cant connect to app

Is there a specific component on tue board that is known to burn out? The person I bought the gimbal from said the camera works and takes pictures and videos, but there is no live view.

Im not afraid of soldering and/or replacing components on a board
The symptoms you described are the most common heard with the ''no image transmission" issue. There are hundreds of posts about it here. @quaddamage spent a lot of time putting together a troubleshooting flow chart you can find here.

Based on seeing it reported so many times, my guess is that he may have sold you a P3P with a bad gimbal main (top) board. Unfortunately, DJI does not sell that board and people are always trying to find known good ones.

The LOG_AB file would give more proof if modules 8 and 15 showed as 'device not detected'. Since you can't find that file yet, we can only guess. Checking that file is also one of the steps in the flowchart linked above.

Yea, I mean I can’t guarantee the top board is bad but Im not sure. If it makes any difference, I noticed that I can control the tilt of the gimbal from the controller.

I think the reason i can connect to the app is because of the firmware issue. Does the no image problem prevent firmware from being loaded?

Would a phantom advanced gimbal top board work for loading the firmware?

Does the no image problem prevent firmware from being loaded?
Sure it could since the FW updates various modules so if one or more modules were not functioning the update would fail for those modules.

Would a phantom advanced gimbal top board work for loading the firmware?
Switching to a known good P3A gimbal top (main) board is an option to try for troubleshooting, just remember that it would then need P3A firmware and effectively then would become a P3A.

One thing interesting came up today that you might want to read and look into. Check out the end of this thread.

Sure it could since the FW updates various modules so if one or more modules were not functioning the update would fail for those modules.

Switching to a known good P3A gimbal top (main) board is an option to try for troubleshooting, just remember that it would then need P3A firmware and effectively then would become a P3A.

One thing interesting came up today that you might want to read and look into. Check out the end of this thread.

Thanks I’ll check that out. I was hoping to have a spare board to test it out to see if I could load the firmware with, but I missed out on the sale.

Going back to the log_ab file.....how do I make sure that file gets transferred to the sd card? keep in mind, I have never personally flown this AC. Does it have to fly to make this log? Or do I just place an empty sd card in the gimbal? Maybe its windows 10 preventing me from locating the file?

The LOG_AB file would give more proof if modules 8 and 15 showed as 'device not detected'. Since you can't find that file yet, we can only guess. Checking that file is also one of the steps in the flowchart linked above.

The sd card I have been using was pulled from another project and I didn't realize that is was formatted in NTFS.

Please see attached log_ab file

Attachments

• P3X_FW_LOG_AB.txt
    35.4 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Im not quite sure how to read this file, but I think it does appear that modules 8 and 15 are having issues.

Wow, that is one convoluted log_ab file. I can't say that I've seen one with so many FW versions up and down and up, etc.
One thing in common however. They all have modules 8 and 15 showing as "device not detected" as you saw. Looks like it was sold to you in that condition.

If it were mine, I'd look for a replacement gimbal top (main) board (or use your known good P3A baord) while also working through the steps in the flow chart created by @quaddamage. You can start in the bottom left where it mentions the 8/15 issue.

Just for fun, since nothing to lose I would also try what is mentioned at the end of that thread I linked to the other day in post 14. Honestly, I wouldn't have high hopes for that however.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4