Gimbal Issues On Pro Camera Installed On Advanced Body

L_P

Reaction score
I recently got a second hand P3A that had been crashed in April last year. It came with a Pro gimbal that had a broken arm (snapped in half, ribbon cable broken), and two Adv gimbals, other one installed and working. I don't know if the other Adv gimbal works, because stupid me already took the parts from it for the Pro camera.

Anyways, I fixed the Professional gimbal, and tried it on the drone. The gimbal calibrates just fine, but after ~15 seconds the gimbal dies.

Things that also happen:
The led on the gimbal doesn't light up at all, the gimbal fan doesn't spin (don't know if it should before necessary), app shows gimbal state as normal, I can't control the camera angle, the app shows the camera angle if I twist it by hand, the sd card slot and the usb slot on the gimbal don't work, app now shows it as a P3P, and I can't change camera settings in app.

I have no idea where the problem is. The flat ribbon cable looks fine, but I'm not 100% sure if it works. App shows no error messages.

This guy had the same problem
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
One guy in the comments says it's the ribbon cable, but the uploader hasn't confirmed any fix.

Please ask if I left something out.

Thanks in advance.

Looks like Ambarella fail to me.

But maybe it's something simpler. Check with multimeter if all the pads of the Gimbal Top Board which markings suggests it's a supply voltage (12V, 5V, 3V3 in all variants, 1.8V).

I recently got a second hand P3A that had been crashed in April last year. It came with a Pro gimbal that had a broken arm (snapped in half, ribbon cable broken), and two Adv gimbals, other one installed and working. I don't know if the other Adv gimbal works, because stupid me already took the parts from it for the Pro camera.

Anyways, I fixed the Professional gimbal, and tried it on the drone. The gimbal calibrates just fine, but after ~15 seconds the gimbal dies.

Things that also happen:
The led on the gimbal doesn't light up at all, the gimbal fan doesn't spin (don't know if it should before necessary), app shows gimbal state as normal, I can't control the camera angle, the app shows the camera angle if I twist it by hand, the sd card slot and the usb slot on the gimbal don't work, app now shows it as a P3P, and I can't change camera settings in app.

I have no idea where the problem is. The flat ribbon cable looks fine, but I'm not 100% sure if it works. App shows no error messages.

This guy had the same problem
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
One guy in the comments says it's the ribbon cable, but the uploader hasn't confirmed any fix.

Please ask if I left something out.

Thanks in advance.
LP, have you installed the Professional firmware on your advanced, yet? With the Professional gimbal you need to for it to operate properly, especially for the gimbal fan to operate.

I can't install the software because the sd card slot doesn't work. Can it be installed through the quad usb or with the advanced gimbal?

I found that you only need to change the gimbal and you're good to go. I could be wrong though.

And also if the board is fried can the advanced gimbal board be changed to the 4k camera as I have one extra?

And also if the board is fried can the advanced gimbal board be changed to the 4k camera as I have one extra?

No, If you are meaning a Phantom 3 4k? I do know for sure the gimbal main boards are not interchangeable. I've tried it and things get real hot!!! haha....I'm not sure if the Pro board is interchangeable with the advanced, I've never tried it(within the gimbals). The phantom 3 4k will not interchange with the advanced or the pro.!! The lower parts will interchange on the the 4k and pro. I have done that and it works.

You may have meant the board from the Pro, I just thought I'd post just in case so someone else doesn't make the same mistake that I did!:)

Last edited:
I can't install the software because the sd card slot doesn't work. Can it be installed through the quad usb or with the advanced gimbal?

I found that you only need to change the gimbal and you're good to go. I could be wrong though.

You need the Professional firmware to activate the fan for the gimbal. I know the cameras/gimbals are interchangeable, you just need to install the appropriate firmware for what ever camera/gimbal you have. I'm not sure if you can use the Advanced gimbal to install the Professional firmware or not. You can try, if it takes or not you will know. As far as the gimbal boards are concerned, I would imagine the fan is integral to the Pro gimbal board. I believe if you put a 4k camera on a Advanced gimbal you will only have 2.7 k, the Advanced gimbal won't support 4k. I am no guru here so hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joker2415
I know the cameras/gimbals are interchangeable, you just need to install the appropriate firmware for what ever camera/gimbal you have.

True. Appropriate means same version number - version numbering is the same for P3X and P3S.
If you have a drone with no gimbal and no front plate, then it's both Pro and Adv at the same time. Gimbal and plate are the only two elements which decide what the drone is, if not counting different chargers and cartons.

I'm not sure if you can use the Advanced gimbal to install the Professional firmware or not.

Adv gimbal will ignore Pro FW and vice versa.

As far as the gimbal boards are concerned, I would imagine the fan is integral to the Pro gimbal board.

Fan is controlled by Ambarella chip.

I believe if you put a 4k camera on a Advanced gimbal you will only have 2.7 k, the Advanced gimbal won't support 4k.

If by "camera" you mean Camera Sensor Board, then this is right - it is the same on Pro and Adv, only differs in logo on the side of its cover. But, I wouldn't call a sensor that. GoPro Hero 4 is a camera, right? It includes sensor, Ambarella chip and SD-card slot, plus related power circuits.

Reactions: JoBe
True. Appropriate means same version number - version numbering is the same for P3X and P3S.
If you have a drone with no gimbal and no front plate, then it's both Pro and Adv at the same time. Gimbal and plate are the only two elements which decide what the drone is, if not counting different chargers and cartons.

Adv gimbal will ignore Pro FW and vice versa.

Fan is controlled by Ambarella chip.

If by "camera" you mean Camera Sensor Board, then this is right - it is the same on Pro and Adv, only differs in logo on the side of its cover. But, I wouldn't call a sensor that. GoPro Hero 4 is a camera, right? It includes sensor, Ambarella chip and SD-card slot, plus related power circuits.
Quaddammage, I posted this in the P3 help forum and I'm not getting any response, maybe you can help. I replaced my camera/gimbal on my P3 Pro for no fpv. All works great now except that it shows firmware version n/a in the app. My bird and rc had 1.3.20 on it when I replaced the camera and gimbal so I tried to reinstall that version and the result file says 1.11 won't allow downgrade. I am guessing that the new camera and gimbal has 1.11 installed. Will that automatically be installed into to my bird now or am I still on 1.3.20? Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

My bird and rc had 1.3.20 on it [...] the new camera and gimbal has 1.11 installed. Will that automatically be installed into to my bird now or am I still on 1.3.20?
You are still on the older version. You should either upgrade or downgrade.
Upgrading - just place the new FW file on SD-card.
Downgrading - read here:
Downgrading firmware on P3P from 1.10.9 to 1.7.6
(I would go directly to 1.3.20)

Downgrading - read here:
Thanks quaddamage, I will give it a shot. I am learning a lot reading your and Oso's posts. I have had my Pro for three years now and this is the first time I have needed to do anything to it.(that is why I leave it on 1.3.20, lol). Thanks again.

Downgrading - read here:
Should I be worried about bricking my bird or do you think with mine already having 1.3.20 I should be ok. I do realize there is a certain amount of risk with anything, so I'm not asking for a guarantee, just your opinion. Thanks.

Should I be worried about bricking my bird or do you think with mine already having 1.3.20 I should be ok. I do realize there is a certain amount of risk with anything, so I'm not asking for a guarantee, just your opinion.
If you use the FW_DEBUG flag, only 4 modules on the camera will really change their software. The rest will be re-flashed with the same version they already have. I would say that's minimal risk.

If you use the FW_DEBUG flag, only 4 modules on the camera will really change their software. The rest will be re-flashed with the same version they already have. I would say that's minimal risk.
Thanks Quaddamage, I'll give it a try.

Went off without a hitch. Shows 1.3.20 Success. Thanks for all of your help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers