Flytron Strobe Lights

If something costs £10, that would be $8.20 using the exchange rates I quoted earlier.

Not every establishment offers the same rate, you need to shop around.

<I am not an economist, I've just travelled a fair amount>
Other way around. £10 =$16

I have both versions (normal and cree) in white from Firehouse (purchased before I knew about Flytron). Firehouse and Flytron look identical to me based on pictures. The cree is smaller and brighter (based on my non-metered eye-ball bench testing). I also have the red cree, it 'appears' to be as bright or brighter than the normal white.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=NVU5amhjeHRRdE5UekZ4V1IxU3p4VWRRQVdEcThn

Here's another US source FLYTRON - STROBON STANDALONE - WHITE [STROBON-STAND-WHITE] - $13.34 : Ready Made RC LLC, The Leader in All Things FPV, RC, and Beyond. Only $14, no Cree version yet

I would think a black or dark skin would help more then a strobe for spotting it during the day a little better .
Color of the aircraft becomes pretty much irrelevant just a few hundred feet away.

Color of the aircraft becomes pretty much irrelevant just a few hundred feet away.
Yeah I guess because as it gets further away it'll become smaller but I'm not so sure if its all the time because sometimes depending on the sky behind it I'll lose sight of it at 300-400 ft. and sometimes I can see it upto 700-800 ft away, A light color copter against a light sky it just seems like it'll be easier to lose.

Yeah I guess because as it gets further away it'll become smaller but I'm not so sure if its all the time because sometimes depending on the sky behind it I'll lose sight of it at 300-400 ft. and sometimes I can see it upto 700-800 ft away, A light color copter against a light sky it just seems like it'll be easier to lose.

While that logic works closer in once the aircraft gets smaller it's just a dark dot. We've tried coloring our R/C aircraft for years and once it gets out there a few hundred feet it's just a dark dot even if it's white. I'm not saying don't try other options it's just not very effective out at distance.

Received my cree strobons in four days from flytron europe. The company is great- right on the money. As I said earlier, I got two white ones for redundancy. These things are thumb tip size but just like my cree ds-30 strobe, they are seriously strong. I'm looking forward to a simple velcro attachment to my phantom for these two and taking the ds-30 off which will remove a lot of weight. But these strobons will have to perform just as well to win the job. I'll be trying them soon and I'll report back, but my distance needs only top out at 3-4k' at night so I expect they'll do just fine with that.

Btw- this is my video from when I put the ds-30 on

Reactions: azgeek
Can anyone please tell me where in the bird should I install the 2 Crees that i bought?
I have a P4P+
I have installed one of mine on the very top using industrial velcro I bought at Walmart and the other one on the rear arm using a small rubber band. Both have been tested using sport mode and I have had no issues with them falling off. I have had no issues with the GPS either.

The light mounted on the top (red strobe, not a Cree) can be seen by anything above me and it does not interfere with the camera. Also when I am flying directly toward myself, the light is easily seen. This works well in regular and even better in sport mode as the drone tilted forward is more pronounced.

The light mounted to the rear arm (white strobe, not a Cree) is facing down and I have tested it to 12,584 feet (2.38 miles, 3.8 km) away at night successfully. I could have seen it further but I didn't want to fly over any industrial plants that surround my area.

I do want to have a 3D printed mounting bracket that can clip to one of the legs which could hold one or two of these strobes of these but it hasn't happened yet. Any suggestions about getting this accomplished? Anyway hope this helps.

20170309_114657 - Copy.jpg
20170309_114708 - Copy.jpg
20170309_114746 - Copy.jpg
20170309_114752 - Copy.jpg

At about an hour before sunset, i could see the cree strobe from 2800 yards/8400 feet. Well enough that i could look away, then pick it up again in seconds.
I fitted it to a leg facing rearwards, so was fine flying away...

So i flew home backwards.

Ive ordered more, my theory is, as long as i can see the strobes, i can 'see' the bird, so extending my visual line of sight.
Tempted to get two that i can hard wire to the red led's, that way i can have two whites facing forwards, and can switch them on or off as needed. Then one each side and to the rear.

The UK 'dronecode' says 'keep in sight', this should help [emoji106][emoji106]

Can anyone please tell me where in the bird should I install the 2 Crees that i bought?
I have a P4P+
You have to experiment for yourself. With velcro, these are easily moved around for best results for your own eyes.

I have installed one of mine on the very top using industrial velcro I bought at Walmart and the other one on the rear arm using a small rubber band. Both have been tested using sport mode and I have had no issues with them falling off. I have had no issues with the GPS either.

The light mounted on the top (red strobe, not a Cree) can be seen by anything above me and it does not interfere with the camera. Also when I am flying directly toward myself, the light is easily seen. This works well in regular and even better in sport mode as the drone tilted forward is more pronounced.

The light mounted to the rear arm (white strobe, not a Cree) is facing down and I have tested it to 12,584 feet (2.38 miles, 3.8 km) away at night successfully. I could have seen it further but I didn't want to fly over any industrial plants that surround my area.

I do want to have a 3D printed mounting bracket that can clip to one of the legs which could hold one or two of these strobes of these but it hasn't happened yet. Any suggestions about getting this accomplished? Anyway hope this helps.

View attachment 78052 View attachment 78053 View attachment 78054 View attachment 78055
Cool but I wouldn't rely on rubber bands long term. They notoriously weaken and break and atmospheric conditions in flight could speed up the problem.

I am getting ready to apply for my Daylight Ops waiver. Looking for 3 mile strobes, so this is a timely thread.

Has anyone mounted these on the front of a Phantom? How does it affect pics/vids?

I am getting ready to apply for my Daylight Ops waiver. Looking for 3 mile strobes, so this is a timely thread.

Has anyone mounted these on the front of a Phantom? How does it affect pics/vids?
They CAN mess up pics and vid. Pics not as much unless the timing is just right. Vids it is very annoying.

Cool but I wouldn't rely on rubber bands long term. They notoriously weaken and break and atmospheric conditions in flight could speed up the problem.
Exactly right and sunlight GREATLY speeds up the process.

Last edited:

I tried it using a red strobe and found it makes the pictures have a red tint. Not worth it if you want good pictures.

I would not put these on the front of the bird or the front arms if clean video is the goal. The best spot will be the top of the bird and/or the back of the bird.

I am with you on the 3d print mount. I searched Thingverse and others. I found a Mavic mount, but no P4P mounts. Someday I have to learn how to make 3D stuff myself

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor