Flytron Strobe Lights

Hobbyist, yes. I got an faa daylight waiver for commercial use of the video.

I installed my two new cree strobons with velcro. I'll have to test them to see how well they do at replacing the ds30. I have one on top, just where I had my ds30 but I'm not certain it will be as easy to see as the ds30. The ds30 is designed to be a full 360 degree hemisphere strobe, made possible by the design of dome. The strobon is literally just a strobe with no benefit of a dome to help the visibility. I'm glad I got two. The second one I put downward facing which should do the trick. I'll have to see how they work out. It's great getting rid of the added weight of the ds30 system. It's great that the strobon can be recharged via USB. The small size is awesome. The only thing I don't like so much is the tiny button to turn them on and off. It's fiddly and hard to find until you get used to it. What makes it worse is that what you need to turn on and off during fiddling with a tiny button is a powerful strobe that'll do some major temporary vision damage if you're not careful to avoid getting an eye full. But, the advantages will outweigh that, I hope.

I installed these and did a flight tonight. The crees are getting it done. I only flew 1,000' out so far but these are easily visible and I'm sure would do the trick at 2k' out, which is really the most I'd need. They have officially replaced my ds-30 strobe. The bird is much lighter as well. These pics are where I placed mine. One is on top of the polar pro light kit which takes care of top-up, and one is under my battery tray facing down. I have no problem seeing the bird with all those lights and no strobe gets in the video. Excellent.

Attachments

• IMG_20170321_204752707.jpg
    IMG_20170321_204752707.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_20170321_204917376.jpg
    IMG_20170321_204917376.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 408
Reactions: The Drone Ranger
Here are some pics and a video of 4 Flytron Strobons (Cree) on my Phantom 4 Pro. I got two red and two white. If I were going to order again I would skip the red and just go for the white. They look to be about twice as bright and more easily seen than the red ones (again, the brighter Cree LED on those as well).

Thanks to @RocketBrew for his suggestion to use Scotch fasteners Flytron Strobe Lights
Scotch Fasteners.jpg

Here's where I have them located on the bird. While they may look to be fairly weak, they actually are quite the opposite. Even the locations at the ends of the motor mounts fasten quite well:
Strob_3526.jpg

I like the clear nature of the fastener because it blends in with the bird:
Strob_3520.jpg

Strob_3516.jpg

The spot below the battery is at a slight downward angle, making it easier to spot at elevation. The one on the top really disappears quickly when viewing from the ground.
Strob_3528.jpg

Strob_3523.jpg

And a lame video from an iPhone below. The bird was fairly close (300 ft out and 150 ft AGL), looking at the port side. The white Strobons are easily seen and the red are visible, but not as bright. If you look closely you can pick out a bright dot above the clouds that is slowly moving --- that's the International Space Station flying by.

Here are some pics and a video of 4 Flytron Strobons (Cree) on my Phantom 4 Pro. I got two red and two white. If I were going to order again I would skip the red and just go for the white. They look to be about twice as bright and more easily seen than the red ones (again, the brighter Cree LED on those as well).

Thanks to @RocketBrew for his suggestion to use Scotch fasteners Flytron Strobe Lights
View attachment 79333

Here's where I have them located on the bird. While they may look to be fairly weak, they actually are quite the opposite. Even the locations at the ends of the motor mounts fasten quite well:
View attachment 79334

I like the clear nature of the fastener because it blends in with the bird:
View attachment 79338

View attachment 79335

The spot below the battery is at a slight downward angle, making it easier to spot at elevation. The one on the top really disappears quickly when viewing from the ground.
View attachment 79337

View attachment 79340

And a lame video from an iPhone below. The bird was fairly close (300 ft out and 150 ft AGL), looking at the port side. The white Strobons are easily seen and the red are visible, but not as bright. If you look closely you can pick out a bright dot above the clouds that is slowly moving --- that's the International Space Station flying by.

Nice pics...

I noticed someone else earlier posted they've placed theirs directly on top too... and you haven't suffered any loss of GPS locks you'd get otherwise?

I too used velcro pads... but took them off when I sent my P4P into DJI to get a gimble vibration issue fixed. I also have four strobons but wasn't sure if I liked the positioning I had. I checked out any interference with GPS locks, compass, and radio transmission and they didn't seem to effect anything, but never thought of putting one on top; as I was sure that would block a few satellites... but I'm going to give that try and see what happens.

Also, I know these strobons are very light, but wondering if there's any concern one should have for balance issues? Most likely negligible, with just a little more amperage siphoned off to the rear motors... but that was a concern with my first layout--thus I placed them symmetrically on all four arms; but like I said earlier, I like your placement azgeek, for better visibility than what I had.

Last edited:
I have white and red STROBON Cree strobe lights in stock. You can buy them from me here.

Reactions: Eddyfisher
Thanks Mike just ordered a set.

Got it. I'll ship your order out today.

Now THAT's service. :D 'bout time someone made them available.

Last edited:
I am pleased all lights on the inspire 2 can be shut off in the app including the gps light. I like to fly at night with no lights. Also, I don't get questions about what's landing in my back yard. The attention get old.

I have the Flytron Strobon Standalone strobes (not Cree) and really like them.
I got mine from ReadyMadeRC
2 White
1 Red
1 Green

The CREE Strobon IS BRIGHTER . . .not sure why but there is a different LED package on it . . or at least the lens on it is different and the CREE does seem a lot brighter. .Cree is one on the RIGHT. The other two are direct from UK Flytron.
upload_2017-5-5_19-22-38.png
. . Just did another side by side test after making sure they were both fully charged and I see no real difference in brightness . . both equally good!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks msinger I got my cree's yesterday and man they are BRIGHT. Now I just need to file for my waiver.

Yes, sir. It's tough to stare at them directly :D

I'm getting ready to order the Strobon Cree's today for a night shoot I have next week. Would 3 be enough for my P4P? It is better to go red, white, green or is it just personal preference?

It's mostly personal preference but white is seen the best at distance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues