Flying from inside house or car anyone?

First test flight this morning, unfortunately a lot of fog so could only go out to just under 10000' away at 250' elevation over some farm land before losing video feed. Surprised by the amount of moisture on the camera/gimbal and bird when I brought it home! I will wait for better conditions before I rush to judgement. Still, very nice to sit in the car drinking coffee with my cinemizers on and this is farthest that I have been able to go with the P3A. Obstacle penetration seems very good and that's what I want it for, not distance. Made my buddy stand outside and spot for me, he was not so happy since it was a 18min flight! He's used to controlling the camera/gimbal on the inspire.:laughing:
Awesome first run!! 'Only' 10,000 huh.. yeah you've gotta do some tweaking..lol

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Jeremiah Nelson
When i was in Croatia i flew from the car for the whole battery at max speed the entire way it lasted about 15mins from 100% to 10% flying 45MPH the whole way.
I had to fly high to avoid power lines, it was amazing!!!!.
(I had special permission from the government to fly my drone like this for a tv show.)
Ill edit it for youtube when i have time, it didn't make it into the show.
but yes it is very possible with a P4
Here is a P3P doing it:

Reactions: Jeremiah Nelson
So, I did a test run this weekend with the following setup on my P4P.

TX: MP Dual band (2.4ghz/5.8ghz) low profile Omni antenna (link) connected to RF Linx 2400 SAXU booster.

RX/Video downlink: L-Com 2.4ghz 8.5 dBi Omni antenna (link) connected to L-Com 3 Watt 2.4 GHz 802.11b Indoor amp (see link -> HA2401DX-XL3000)

Amps connected;

For the (limited) test run at my local park, I went out about 2200 feet to get a feel of signal strength ; for subsequent runs I will try pushing the setup to outer limits and report back. PS: I used only the 2.4ghz downlink of the P4P as I wanted to test the MP on the TX end of the controller. During the next run, i will swap both to see how well the MP low profile omni does as a receiving antenna and then utilize the 5.8GHZ link. For now, this test was encouraging.

See 10+ minute Youtube video. (This was recorded off my Nvidia Shield K1 tablet using the native screen recorder.)

Last edited:
First test flight this morning, unfortunately a lot of fog so could only go out to just under 10000' away at 250' elevation over some farm land before losing video feed. Surprised by the amount of moisture on the camera/gimbal and bird when I brought it home! I will wait for better conditions before I rush to judgement. Still, very nice to sit in the car drinking coffee with my cinemizers on and this is farthest that I have been able to go with the P3A. Obstacle penetration seems very good and that's what I want it for, not distance. Made my buddy stand outside and spot for me, he was not so happy since it was a 18min flight! He's used to controlling the camera/gimbal on the inspire.:laughing:
Nice run!! Darn near 2 miles out in the fog... Dam good...
Humidity effects signal. You were flying in water..lol

Turbo

Reactions: JohnnyB
TX: MP Dual band (2.4ghz/5.8ghz) low profile Omni antenna (link) connected to RF Linx 2400 SAXU booster.
I like this antenna so much. That would be perfect for a permanent install in my car. Very excited to see it work so well on this initial test. I'll be eagerly awaiting some distance tests! :)

Yeah the fog was crazy, unbelievable how wet the bird was upon return, hopefully this weekend's weather is better and I can try out the Inspire with the same system. Thanks again guys for the guidance and encouragement. Now I have to come up with some nice 12v hi def screens for inside the cab. :sunglasses: Keep you posted with the next test results.

Little testing with the l-coms and p4p set to channel 21 on 2.4ghz. Landed at 7 percent. Managed to stay under 250ft till about 20,000ft. Do you guys still plan to upgrade the stock 195 out of the magnetic base? Heck even my inspire 2 can hardly make a run like that. Obviously it can but not by much more.
IMG_0003.PNG

Little testing with the l-coms and p4p set to channel 21 on 2.4ghz. Landed at 7 percent. Managed to stay under 250ft till about 20,000ft. Do you guys still plan to upgrade the stock 195 out of the magnetic base? Heck even my inspire 2 can hardly make a run like that. Obviously it can but not by much more.View attachment 75771

I am still using the bases with the 195 also. That LMR-195 isn't very impressive looking next to the 400..
But doesn't seem to hurt the distance any.

20K was how far I ran mine out with them on also. Ran out of balls before signal...lol
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
Check out notifications, Not 1 video drop out :)

I do seem to get a better video link in the trees with the L Com's rt. on the amps.
Not a night and day difference though.

Turbo

Last edited:
I've been considering modding the RC battery to provide power for the amps. Seems simple enough.

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app
Looks like a pretty straight forward mod and a great idea.
I see Nuclear powered amps in this thread by mid year...lol :p

Reactions: JohnnyB

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl