Flying from inside house or car anyone?

How is intensity of the wind any different than the speed, assuming it is a constant wind, as you stated?

What I learned is that the drone needed a running start to get to up to speed because the constant wind other wise known as intensity of the wind did not allow me that.

If I were to do it again, I would not fly forward but let the wind take me backward allowing me a chance to make a U shape and gain some speed into sport mode, being that I was frozen so quickly I barely held on to get the drone back down without freezing..

Next time the U Shape Plan of action.

Reactions: trevornewkirk
What I learned is that the drone needed a running start to get to up to speed because the constant wind other wise known as intensity of the wind did not allow me that.

If I were to do it again, I would not fly forward but let the wind take me backward allowing me a chance to make a U shape and gain some speed into sport mode, being that I was frozen so quickly I barely held on to get the drone back down without freezing..

Next time the U Shape Plan of action.
In your video conclusion, you state, "It wasn't the speed of the wind, but the intensity of the wind that was the problem." That makes no sense. The intensity of the wind is measured by its speed. If it isn't a constant wind speed, variations above the constant speed are called gusts. If the wind speed exceeds the drone's speed, it will fly downwind no matter what you do! Unless you want to send a chase crew after your aircraft, never launch downwind, unless you know for certain that even the gusts do not exceed the aircraft's maximum speed! Since you apparently had no idea what the real wind speed or gust speeds onsite were before launching (get an anometer), you were just asking for trouble. Wind speed also increases significantly with altitude. The higher you fly, the faster the wind speed! This planned suicide mission has nothing to do with this thread!

Last edited:
In your video conclusion, you state, "It wasn't the speed of the wind, but the intensity of the wind that was the problem." That makes no sense. The intensity of the wind is measured by its speed. If it isn't a constant wind speed, variations above the constant speed are called gusts. If the wind speed exceeds the drone's speed, it will fly downwind no matter what you do! Unless you want to send a chase crew after your aircraft, never launch downwind, unless you know for certain that even the gusts do not exceed the aircraft's maximum speed! Since you apparently had no idea what the real wind speed or gust speeds onsite were before launching (get an anometer), you were just asking for trouble. Wind speed also increases significantly with altitude. The higher you fly, the faster the wind speed! This planned suicide mission has nothing to do with this thread!

You might have missed this part : Just want to keep this thread going as Im a huge fan !

It might have been a suicide mission , and the idea was to fly from the inside of the car , but I should have known some wind wizard was going to rip me apart and use the word suicide . It was just a spur of the moment flight that i took, thanks

Just want to keep this thread going as Im a huge fan !

This is what happens when Alexa tells you it 20 mph winds but the reality is its 35 mph winds.
She also said that it was going to be 17 F but instead it was more like below zero.

I had given myself about 1 minute to get back to the car as that was about how long i could last at point break.

Great video, Good save !!
It always gets ugly when the wind speed gets close to the crafts available speed. Even with the extra speed in sport mode i find that Phantom's don't deal well with the pitch angle it takes to fly those kinda winds. I wouldn't think twice about flying my 5" Quad in that wind, but it is designed to fly well at any angle. Changed my mind...lol, i would think twice even with the race quad :)
I understand what your saying, may be just a word choice thing. A solid 35mph wind vs 35 mph gust.
It's all good!! Thanks for posting an awesome save.

Turbo

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
Be nice bro :) We know what he means..
Great advice

You might have missed this part : Just want to keep this thread going as Im a huge fan !

It might have been a suicide mission , and the idea was to fly from the inside of the car , but I should have known some wind wizard was going to rip me apart and use the word suicide . It was just a spur of the moment flight that i took, thanks
I was more concerned with your ill-conceived idea of trying it AGAIN, and flying DOWNWIND, hoping that some U hook would be a panacea, when it would have been far worse that way! Where is the part about flying from inside the car, which is what this thread is about, and not sharing suicide missions in 35 mph winds, which should never be attempted from inside a vehicle with stock equipment? Oh, I forgot. You had your Phantom Wet Suit on that you are still trying to promote in every thread that you post in! Makes sense now.

I for one appreciate you keeping this thread alive.

I don't fully understand the wind intensity bit, but all is good. You're much braver with your phantom than I am.

Thanks for the post.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
We can't let this thread die :)
I don't fly the old girl much anymore, but when i do i have my trusty L-Com's on board :)

I just now saw this! I've not been getting any notifications of thread activity. You Turbo are braver than me (Landing on the ice). All I do is fly at night...

Reactions: Turbomania
Can you send me links for the wires ant setup possible on amazon to make it easy to buy all at once? Thanks a ton it’s cold here in Michigan
Seeing this a little late in the thread. Are you still interested in this subject, 2019 month of April?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4