Drone doing loop/vault in mid-flight

Reaction score
Hi,

I just had my first flight after repairing the P3 Pro after a crash in november.
3-4 minutes in to the flight, I had this happen to me (see video)

Unfortunately, my crash has damaged the USB-port on the drone so I can't get flight data that way.
Can someone help me shed some light on what happened and if I need to worry about flying the drone again?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

/Andreas

It def looks like it impacted something in the air ever so slightly. I've had a similar incident with a tree limb but the situation precipitated quickly after it hit #2 and #3 tree limbs.

What did you see with your eyes when this happened? I can't see anything but maybe a wire/cable or something? As NW asked maybe a birdstrike?

Bird strike possibly, but there is no visual of such. You could upload the flight data .txt file from your device to the link below and place a link
back here for a look, although I doubt it will tell us very much.

DJI Flight Log Viewer

If you look at the bottom left-hand corner, it looks like something struck it.
I looked there and only saw the artifacts from the slow motion....

After reviewing the video frame by frame, I would tend to agree that it appeared to be a strike. Although there were no clear visual clues, likely it was a bird. Based on the way the Phantom pivoted, it appeared to be a strike to the lower starboard side. Don't know if you'll get much more out it other than to inspect the drone for physical evidence. I think you're fortunate that, whatever it was, it didn't cause the drone to crash.

Reactions: DJI_Stunt_Pilot
After reviewing the video frame by frame, I would tend to agree that it appeared to be a strike.
I also agree that a strike is the greatest possibility, however it is extremely difficult to say if there was anything in the footage to show this. ( Also did frame by frame review) The best way to determine this would to have the data file and compare that with the original ( Unedited ) footage) this can be done in frame by frame vs time, pitch,roll, yaw and acceleration data from the device file since the OP mentioned he could not obtain the .dat from the aircraft, which would be easier to determine.

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
The speed it turned around suggested it's a strike as naturally the phantom can't turn that fast and at that angle. Seems like a bird hit the landing gears making the GPS hold its position. That's one lucky drone you got there [emoji6]

The speed it turned around suggested it's a strike as naturally the phantom can't turn that fast and at that angle. Seems like a bird hit the landing gears making the GPS hold its position.

I would agree. The roll seen in that video doesn't appear to be characteristic of a flight maneuver that the Phantom could easily pull off.

Reactions: Neon Euc
I also agree that a strike is the greatest possibility, however it is extremely difficult to say if there was anything in the footage to show this.

If DJI would incorporate the same camera technology that Google uses in their mapping cars, we'd have a clear answer as to what actually happened.;)

Thank you all for your answers. The concensus seems to be birdstrike. I'm feeling Lucky :p

Thank you all for your answers. The concensus seems to be birdstrike. I'm feeling Lucky :p
I concur that it was a bird strike on the lower left, probably on the landing gear. I may be mistaken - but I think this pic shows the bird continuing on its merry way, The lower shadow is a prop and the upper one, the bird.

Attachments

• Bird.jpg
    Bird.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 389

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic