Reaction score
Dear PhantomPilots users

I'm going to buy a drone, and I'm primarily been looking at these two. I don't know that much about drones. I just know that small Chinese toy "drones" are rubbish, and that DJI is one of the best brands, if not the best one. I have the opportunity to buy one of these:

DJI Spark
DJI Phantom 3 Standard

I'm going to be filming a landscape video of a village, but I don't know which one of them is best for my purpose. Are there some experts here that could explain more about the drones, and pros and cons for both drones?

Can they do 720p 60fps? It's not necessary though, but it could be nice to have.

They both will do 1080 P., but not 60 FPS. You need to compare them with a simple google search. See what fits your needs. If you like video, you need to be able to put nd filters on the lens to take good videos. FPS x2 = your shutter speed for good videos. The spark is much smaller and has more automatic flight programs for special effects. I don’t know if it takes ND filters? It is also more easily to fly unnoticed in places like Croatia where the have very crazy Laws on flying drones. I have a Phantom 3 and a Phantom 4.

They both will do 1080 P., but not 60 FPS. You need to compare them with a simple google search. See what fits your needs. If you like video, you need to be able to put nd filters on the lens to take good videos. FPS x2 = your shutter speed for good videos. The spark is much smaller and has more automatic flight programs for special effects. I don’t know if it takes ND filters? It is also more easily to fly unnoticed in places like Croatia where the have very crazy Laws on flying drones. I have a Phantom 3 and a Phantom 4.

OK. First of all, I don't live in Croatia, and I don't plan to go there to film anything, so I won't have those legal issues.

Then I have som questions about ND filters, since I'm not really an expert at that either. Can I use this, if I buy Phantom 3 Standard?

Neewer for DJI Phantom 3 Standard, 37MM Filter Kit: (3)Filters(CPL / ND4 /... 808018129313 | eBay

Or can I use this, if I buy the Spark?

MC-UV CPL ND4 ND8 ND16 ND32 Filter Lens Ultra-violet for DJI SPARK FPV Camera | eBay

I have made a Google search, but I can't really decide which one to get. What's the biggest difference between them? There are also people on Google who say, that ND filters aren't that necessary. They say that video editing can do the job. I'm planning to edit it anyway.

i'm biased before I answer ... definitely !

I like the Phantom 3 because I have the Std and the Pro. The Std is now unused as it went into the river after I flew too long on the battery. But until that incident it served me well.
The Pro is a league apart though and if I was buying again - the P3 Pro or at least the Advanced would be high on my list ... I would not buy a standard again.

Spark ? Yes - a great fun machine but its not designed for jobs as you suggest. Its what I term a 'Selfie' drone ... designed more for that quick close range friends stuff and not serious work. I know someone will now come on and say 'I've done xx and yy with the Spark and its brilliant... etc.' Yes well ... I still think its a Toy Selfie Drone. We have a couple in the club and that's when they come out ... when all sat pr standing around and someone thinks to do a video shot of it ...

To do a Landscape video of a Village ? I'm sure the Spark could do something - but I think that pretty quick you would understand its pushing its capabilities past what its designed for.
If you cannot find more money - then its the P3 Standard for the job ... but if you can push the finances a bit more - get a Refurb Pro or at least an Advanced ...

My honest opinion.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Fully agree with @solentlife other than calling the Spark a "toy drone". The Tello is a toy drone. The Spark is a low-end but very capable drone. Having owned a Spark, P3S, and P3P, I can agree that I would not be looking at Spark vs P3S. If you want professional videos then go with the P3P. The Spark and the P3S will give you very similar quality video, but you don't get gimbal stabilization in the yaw direction with the Spark.

Personally I would rate the P3S and Spark very close to each other. They both have pros and cons. What I can say is that I sold my P3S and still have fun flying my Spark. It's great for just getting out there quickly and having fun. When I need to do work, get better quality, need longer flight time and greater range then I pull out one of my bigger craft.

Reactions: Chrislaf
OK. First of all, I don't live in Croatia, and I don't plan to go there to film anything, so I won't have those legal issues.

Then I have som questions about ND filters, since I'm not really an expert at that either. Can I use this, if I buy Phantom 3 Standard?

Neewer for DJI Phantom 3 Standard, 37MM Filter Kit: (3)Filters(CPL / ND4 /... 808018129313 | eBay

Or can I use this, if I buy the Spark?

MC-UV CPL ND4 ND8 ND16 ND32 Filter Lens Ultra-violet for DJI SPARK FPV Camera | eBay

I have made a Google search, but I can't really decide which one to get. What's the biggest difference between them? There are also people on Google who say, that ND filters aren't that necessary. They say that video editing can do the job. I'm planning to edit it anyway.
I said,”Like “ Croatia strict rules. Lol

ND filters is like putting sunglasses on your lens. It brings down the shutter speed, so you can make it twice the frame speed. 30 FPS = 60 shutter speed. If it’s a sunny day your shutter speed will be much higher. 16 ND is usually good for a very sunny day with very little clouds. 8 ND is good for the daytime with of clouds. 4 ND bright overcast.
ND filters help give the video a more natural affect, with a slight blur. They aren’t as good for stills unless you want to blur a waterfall.
I use Taco brand ND filters. They are not as expensive, but very good and light.

I would go with the Phantom 3, it was my pick. Your videos will be much better then your stills. Still pictures taken with it will have more noise if the light level is not high.

Nema na čemu

Fully agree with @solentlife other than calling the Spark a "toy drone". The Tello is a toy drone. The Spark is a low-end but very capable drone. Having owned a Spark, P3S, and P3P, I can agree that I would not be looking at Spark vs P3S. If you want professional videos then go with the P3P. The Spark and the P3S will give you very similar quality video, but you don't get gimbal stabilization in the yaw direction with the Spark.

Personally I would rate the P3S and Spark very close to each other. They both have pros and cons. What I can say is that I sold my P3S and still have fun flying my Spark. It's great for just getting out there quickly and having fun. When I need to do work, get better quality, need longer flight time and greater range then I pull out one of my bigger craft.

I don't need "professional" videos. I'm not from a TV station or something similar. Semi-professional videos are OK for me. P3P is too expensive for me.

I said,”Like “ Croatia strict rules. Lol

ND filters is like putting sunglasses on your lens. It brings down the shutter speed, so you can make it twice the frame speed. 30 FPS = 60 shutter speed. If it’s a sunny day your shutter speed will be much higher. 16 ND is usually good for a very sunny day with very little clouds. 8 ND is good for the daytime with of clouds. 4 ND bright overcast.
ND filters help give the video a more natural affect, with a slight blur. They aren’t as good for stills unless you want to blur a waterfall.
I use Taco brand ND filters. They are not as expensive, but very good and light.

I would go with the Phantom 3, it was my pick. Your videos will be much better then your stills. Still pictures taken with it will have more noise if the light level is not high.

Nema na čemu

Does Taco make ND filters for Phantom 3 Standard? I can't really find any on Google.

I’m not sure, I bought them for my P4 for $59 US for a set of 4. Other good brands cost around $99 US. Seeing that money is a big concern, try Neewer, they are around $25US.

i'm biased before I answer ... definitely !

I like the Phantom 3 because I have the Std and the Pro. The Std is now unused as it went into the river after I flew too long on the battery. But until that incident it served me well.
The Pro is a league apart though and if I was buying again - the P3 Pro or at least the Advanced would be high on my list ... I would not buy a standard again.

Spark ? Yes - a great fun machine but its not designed for jobs as you suggest. Its what I term a 'Selfie' drone ... designed more for that quick close range friends stuff and not serious work. I know someone will now come on and say 'I've done xx and yy with the Spark and its brilliant... etc.' Yes well ... I still think its a Toy Selfie Drone. We have a couple in the club and that's when they come out ... when all sat pr standing around and someone thinks to do a video shot of it ...

To do a Landscape video of a Village ? I'm sure the Spark could do something - but I think that pretty quick you would understand its pushing its capabilities past what its designed for.
If you cannot find more money - then its the P3 Standard for the job ... but if you can push the finances a bit more - get a Refurb Pro or at least an Advanced ...

My honest opinion.

I'm sorry, but I completely forgot Phantom 3 SE. Is it better or worse than Standard? Should I consider SE or not?

I'm sorry, but I completely forgot Phantom 3 SE. Is it better or worse than Standard? Should I consider SE or not?
If you want the extra features - 4K vs 2.7k, 4km vs 1km, downward sensors vs none, better device holder - then the SE may be better.

Chris

I think the characteristics of the drones aren't very different. I have a DJI Spark. You can see the full description of this drone here DJI Spark . In principle, I'm very pleased with them, but I still dream to buy another one, I want 3DR Solo Drone, but I don’t have enough money to buy. Maybe you should also save money to buy another drone?

I think the characteristics of the drones aren't very different. I have a DJI Spark. You can see the full description of this drone here DJI Spark . In principle, I'm very pleased with them, but I still dream to buy another one, I want 3DR Solo Drone, but I don’t have enough money to buy. Maybe you should also save money to buy another drone?

No, I don't plan to buy a mor expenssive drone. My choices are:

DJI Spark
DJI Phantom 3 Standard
DJI Phantom 3 SE - maybe

And it's probably going to be one of the latter two, rather than a Spark.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31