Did dji cap the top speed?

Reaction score
It seems lile I'm not able to get past 29.5 mph, or it's consitantly topping off around there. I feel like it wasn't like that when I first got it. I'm just wondering....

It seems lile I'm not able to get past 29.5 mph, or it's consitantly topping off around there. I feel like it wasn't like that when I first got it. I'm just wondering....
As per the specs:
Max Speed
S-mode: 45 mph (72 kph)
A-mode: 36 mph (58 kph)
P-mode: 31 mph (50 kph)​

Turn off the obstacle avoidance and you'll go faster.

As per the specs:
Max Speed
S-mode: 45 mph (72 kph)
A-mode: 36 mph (58 kph)
P-mode: 31 mph (50 kph)​

Turn off the obstacle avoidance and you'll go faster.
Understandably, I've already set it at s mode, but it still doesn't hit 45mph like when I first got it. Thanks though, I'll remember turning off the sensors!

Downwind my P4 in sport mode goes faster than 45mph. Same conditions my P4P will not, why is the top speed in sport mode being limited in pro version?

Downwind my P4 in sport mode goes faster than 45mph. Same conditions my P4P will not, why is the top speed in sport mode being limited in pro version?
Turn off the sensors and the vps. That worked for me. It went full speed then.

Wow glad this post came up ,,I been curious for while even posting about it ,,,sport seems OK but is nothing like it was when new ,,,I think now my p3s faster,,,people tell Me I dreaming and it normal....NO not normal,,,I think dji in firmware upgrades they can control all the bird does,,,,still trying to work this out,,:confused:,,half the reason I brought was for the speed now it's not really fun,,so yes dji spit the tacks out and talk:) 78mph down to 59.2 mph now 52.mph ..ON is off what going on

Reactions: tml4191
Wow glad this post came up ,,I been curious for while even posting about it ,,,sport seems OK but is nothing like it was when new ,,,I think now my p3s faster,,,people tell Me I dreaming and it normal....NO not normal,,,I think dji in firmware upgrades they can control all the bird does,,,,still trying to work this out,,:confused:,,half the reason I brought was for the speed now it's not really fun,,so yes dji spit the tacks out and talk:) 78mph down to 59.2 mph now 52.mph ..ON is off what going on
Yea I remember the p4p being crazy fast when I first got it. Either I got used to it, or they capped the maximum speed, but turning off the sensors definitely help though.

I think dji in firmware upgrades they can control all the bird does,,,,still trying to work this out,,:confused:,,half the reason I brought was for the speed now it's not really fun,,so yes dji spit the tacks out and talk:) 78mph down to 59.2 mph now 52.mph ..ON is off what going on
It may be that your idea of what speed you used to reach is faulty.
Your Phantom has never flown at 78 mph.
The published top speed in sport mode has always been: S-mode: 45 mph (72 kph).
You would not even launch a Phantom in the kind of wind it would take to blow it along at 78 mph.
And if you did, you probably wouldn't be bring it back home again.
Perhaps you are thinking of 78 kph?

It may be that your idea of what speed you used to reach is faulty.
Your Phantom has never flown at 78 mph.
The published top speed in sport mode has always been: S-mode: 45 mph (72 kph).
You would not even launch a Phantom in the kind of wind it would take to blow it along at 78 mph.
And if you did, you probably wouldn't be bring it back home again.
Perhaps you are thinking of 78 kph?
Sounds like good logical reason it just seems like not having forward power like there used to be,,my mate jutting saying it's worn out but not ,,still quite new never crashed ,,I don't think it's because I'm used to flying it it just don't perform the same,got heaps of tilt in forward going forward cause I can see on screen my props,,,it's like someone stole the turbo off sport mode,,,I hope I worded that correct,, is there anything else I can check,,settings checked and seem normal,,,and OA is off

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like good logical reason it just seems like not having forward power like there used to be,,my mate jutting saying it's worn out but not ,,still quite new never crashed ,,I don't think it's because I'm used to flying it it just don't perform the same,got heaps of tilt in forward going forward cause I can see on screen my props,,,it's like someone stole the turbo off sport mode,,,I hope I worded that correct,, is there anything else I can check,,settings checked and seem normal,,,and OA is off
I don't think your mate is correct in saying your phantom is worn out, the motors either perform at maximum or controller input revs or the drone won't fly. I can see a difference in performance depending on the weather, a clear day will have it humming, an overcast day with a bit of moisture in the air will have it struggling. Makes perfect sense given the little I know about aerodynamics and density of the air. My speeds as indicated by the app are pretty much in line with what Meta4 has noted without wind assist. I have clocked 90 kph in a screaming tail wind near the beach and I'm pretty sure that that was not an app error as it disappeared into the next suburb...

I don't think your mate is correct in saying your phantom is worn out, the motors either perform at maximum or controller input revs or the drone won't fly. I can see a difference in performance depending on the weather, a clear day will have it humming, an overcast day with a bit of moisture in the air will have it struggling. Makes perfect sense given the little I know about aerodynamics and density of the air. My speeds as indicated by the app are pretty much in line with what Meta4 has noted without wind assist. I have clocked 90 kph in a screaming tail wind near the beach and I'm pretty sure that that was not an app error as it disappeared into the next suburb...
HI just gave me idea ,,I go to my stick input only thing I not look at,,,Yeh it's a bit annoying,,,still goes ok but takes ages to go anywhere when it used to go there quickly,,,there was a post yesterday and p3p was going faster so was bummed out and started looking into it,,,,it revs but I don't think revs are making good momentum,,new props on ,,,you yourself know when something just not right ,,still under warranty but shop last resort,,,wind only just dropping so might get test flight today,,I also notice when sport mode engaged I don't get the onscreen prompt like I used to even though flight modes enabled which sort of makes me think it not turning on somewhere:)

HI just gave me idea ,,I go to my stick input only thing I not look at,,,Yeh it's a bit annoying,,,still goes ok but takes ages to go anywhere when it used to go there quickly,,,there was a post yesterday and p3p was going faster so was bummed out and started looking into it,,,,it revs but I don't think revs are making good momentum,,new props on ,,,you yourself know when something just not right ,,still under warranty but shop last resort,,,wind only just dropping so might get test flight today,,I also notice when sport mode engaged I don't get the onscreen prompt like I used to even though flight modes enabled which sort of makes me think it not turning on somewhere:)
Also I presume p4 got some sort of esc (speed control) board,,Unit thingy could this be faulty

I also notice when sport mode engaged I don't get the onscreen prompt like I used to even though flight modes enabled which sort of makes me think it not turning on somewhere:)
It's a simple matter to look at the flight dta which will show whether you were in Sport mode or not and what speed was achieved.
Go to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.

Also I presume p4 got some sort of esc (speed control) board,,Unit thingy could this be faulty
I think if you had an esc issue the drone would either be flying all over the place with one or more motors not playing the game. I know what you mean when something is not quite right, had a gut feeling yesterday that I'd forgotten something and flew anyway. Turned out I'd forgotten to turn on the battery pack for the antenna booster, had a signal disconnect and just about smacked a tree as the drone attempted a RTH. Time to put a sticker on the RC to remind me....
Curious about the sport mode banner not popping up when engaged, doesn't sound right, I'm assuming the other modes pop up when engaged?

I think if you had an esc issue the drone would either be flying all over the place with one or more motors not playing the game. I know what you mean when something is not quite right, had a gut feeling yesterday that I'd forgotten something and flew anyway. Turned out I'd forgotten to turn on the battery pack for the antenna booster, had a signal disconnect and just about smacked a tree as the drone attempted a RTH. Time to put a sticker on the RC to remind me....
Curious about the sport mode banner not popping up when engaged, doesn't sound right, I'm assuming the other modes pop up when engaged?
14939443348551016214785.jpg
this flight here things start to go odd,,,notice it changeING modes,,,,battery warning,,rth because flat batterie but landed with 30%,,,,

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31