• NONE

Votes: 44 63.8%

• Total voters
I've been testing camera settings on none -2 -2 -2 and used rec709 Luts
When I did post on resolve 12.
Still a work in progress...

Nice!

Here is one of mine using none 0,0,0 and DJI ND8

It depends. I did a comparison between DLog and Art, and I am loving Art at -1 -2 -3. Here is the comparison: (Though -1 -2 -3 isn't in it)

And here is a little video of my buddy's car we did a day ago. (In Art at -1 -2 -3)

Graded in Resolve, you can definitely get cinematic results with this camera. I typically expose on the lower end as to hold the highlights since it is an 8-bit compressed codec similar to what the DSLRs use. I am just not a fan of how mushy the DLog preset tends to look in the lower midtones.

I've been playing for 2 weeks and d log footage looks terrible strange smudgey look to trees and grass etc. I've been using none now and have had much better results when post processing.
Totally agree. Now, I don't understand why most people and experts recommend DLOG.

Editing can add color and contrast. But it won't recover the mushy grass and trees.

Reactions: CornelDRAW
I think it depends on the scene, I have seen more compression artefacts when trying None and all -1 especially in grass. I might try the art mode next time though.
Thing is after a bit of messing about i know how to get the best fro LOG in a range of conditions, it's quite a risk to start making changes which may or may not always be an improvement, and increasingly I'm really only flying it with 'a job' to do where I don't want to go back again because it looks rough.

so what settings you guys recommend ?
Well...I just made some additional tests. Definitely, if you want to keep details, use none or ART...see below..these are taken with P3 Pro at -1,0,0. I added some color with final cut pro. Check out the trees in dlog. I cropped the same frame from each video.

Attachments

• p3 none PS.jpg
    p3 none PS.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,504
  • p3 art PS.jpg
    p3 art PS.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 956
  • P3 dlog ps.jpg
    P3 dlog ps.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 851
It looks like I have some experimenting and "Tweaking" to do.

Thanks for the input to each and every one of you above.

It looks like I have some experimenting and "Tweaking" to do.

Thanks for the input to each and every one of you above.
Pls, post here conclusions. I just noticed the detail of DLOG is proportional to the amount of good light. However, NONE will keep details always, unless you overexpose it.

I'm sure this has been posted here before, but I did a search and couldn't find it anywhere.
Does everyone agree with this?

Hopefully it is useful to some newbies, like myself.
Well put together and I agree with most everything in your video.

You are dead right that shooting in "none" which by the way (and I can't remember if you said in the video) is the "rec709" which is what the P4 shoots in instead of the antiquated 601. I haven't read the thread but I'm sure that's been discussed.

You call yourself a newb at the beginning of the video but come on man, humility is good but your understanding of color correction (color grading in Europe) :) is fantastic. Assuming you know how to use your instruments and since you're using Resolve I'm assuming you're a grader and can use your vectorscope and wave monitor to get your results. My friend works on a Resolve in the SoHo district of London at GoldCfest. Hes their lead grader. Wonder if you know him.

One thing people should not feel though is afraid to use D-Log as there are plenty of times where using it instead of "none" is perfectly acceptable as you mentioned in the video but I have found that the only time it's no good is in the exact situation you showed, close up trees.

Anything close up that is small and has a decent amount of natural saturation will be pixelated in d-log on the P4 and kudos for a good explanation as to why that happens.

You can get away with d-log in more spots if you tweak your settings.

I had a couple other things I wanted to add but can't remember what. One thing is to make sure whatever editor/color corrector or whatever you're using for CC knows what your video is. You need to tell it that you are using 709, not 601 (sometimes as often it is properly imported with the metadata) but never trust and always check.

I can't answer your poll because it depends on the situation and I'll use both.

Great video!

Totally agree. Now, I don't understand why most people and experts recommend DLOG.
Because all things being equal, D-Log is better. Really for one reason, better gamma and more dynamic range give it MUCH more latitude for not only color correction but other VFX and such BUT, with a barely prosumer grade camera, sometimes you just can't get the image to look right because of the speed of the data rate (at best 60mbps).

So yeah, D-Log over straight rec709 or rec601 video all day but unfortunately not always the choice that will work with your Phamtom camera, visually because of the P4 limitations. The irony is that any camera offering a cine-style or d-log option should be fast enough to shoot in it always you would think but that's not the case.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl