Which are better for Phantom 4 Pro: DJI filters or the PolarPro Cinema Series Shutter Collection?

And that thread you started was an incredible amount of work by you (which we all recognized).. It truly was a very very useful thread. I just contributed what I could.. You're the one who got it rolling.. :)

Very true indeed. That thread provides an insane amount of information on the topic, and we all appreciate it @msinger !!! I wish there were more threads like it to be honest, covering more of the different ND filters currently on the market. It would help lots of people out there trying to make a decision on what to go with like me.

I have heard killer reviews from several of my buddies that say the Sigma Art lenses are super! And I think you had that backwards on Nikon color being warmer than Canon right!!! Nikon is def slightly bluer than Canon. I wish I had started with Nikon tbo but it's too late now as I have been Canon for 17 years now. Been through every 5D series and now currently with the IV. Almost ready to jump ship to the Sony's tbo! I'm dabbling with video now as well. Stupid drones got me excited about that! LOL

Kev,

Have shot both and Nikon is warmer than Canon, especially portraits.. As for Sigma Art, try one.. (50 1.4) .. I'm telling you they are incredible.. I also picked up their 150 - 600 Sports lens (not the Contemporary) .. Insanely sharp at every focal length, but a beast. Their stabilization though makes hand held excellent... We should take this offline in personal notes.. :) Will pop you a hello to talk shop..

All that being said, what I ended up doing just a bit ago was, I ordered the PolarPro Cinema Series Shutter Collection as well as a couple of the DJI filters - the ND8 and the ND16. I bought the DJI ones just to compare them with the PolarPro Shutter Collection I also ordered and see how neutral they really are because I know the DJI filters are gonna be pretty neutral to the color of the stock UV lens. Sounds like Jeff is an honest guy and that the Cinema Series will indeed be perfectly neutral, I just want to make sure for comparison purposes. I will then send the DJI filters back to Amazon if I decide to keep the PolarPro filters since Amazon is where I bought everything from and they have a great return policy.

Thanks for the help everyone who commented.

Sounds like an excellent plan.. Look forward to the results of the testing.. :)

Kev,

Have shot both and Nikon is warmer than Canon, especially portraits.. As for Sigma Art, try one.. (50 1.4) .. I'm telling you they are incredible.. I also picked up their 150 - 600 Sports lens (not the Contemporary) .. Insanely sharp at every focal length, but a beast. Their stabilization though makes hand held excellent... We should take this offline in personal notes.. :) Will pop you a hello to talk shop..
Wow that's diff than I've ever heard or seen out of Nikon. Canon has always been known for their warmer and redder skin tones while Nikon for their blues and sharpness.

Below is my footage using the ND16 from the PolarPro Shutter Collection, with some post color grading as the footage was under exposed in the end :(
However, you can see the filter handles the brightness very well in the last frame... Do you guys see the reflection in the Ocean? What do you think? Perhaps the polarized ones would come handy this day?
I don't think I should had used the ND16 on that day... maybe the ND8 would do.

Reactions: B11ECY
Below is my footage using the ND16 from the PolarPro Shutter Collection, with some post color grading as the footage was under exposed in the end :(
However, you can see the filter handles the brightness very well in the last frame... Do you guys see the reflection in the Ocean? What do you think? Perhaps the polarized ones would come handy this day?
I don't think I should had used the ND16 on that day... maybe the ND8 would do.
This looks great man. Super location for sure. In your one shot of the lighthouse the ocean is glaring pretty good on the right side of frame. And a polarizer would have helped on that particular pass probably. But then it would be changing on you some as your bird changed angle to the sunlight ect. I just feel like you would be worrying more about the angle of your polarizer than flying. It 's hard to satisfy every single want when looking at all the options as far as ND and polarizers go. I mainly want to think about the flying when I get up so I can fly it smooth.

Reactions: Ben01
This looks great man. Super location for sure. In your one shot of the lighthouse the ocean is glaring pretty good on the right side of frame. And a polarizer would have helped on that particular pass probably. But then it would be changing on you some as your bird changed angle to the sunlight ect. I just feel like you would be worrying more about the angle of your polarizer than flying. It 's hard to satisfy every single want when looking at all the options as far as ND and polarizers go. I mainly want to think about the flying when I get up so I can fly it smooth.
Right. Fair point in regards the to the polarized lens... I will get a few similar shots with the different numbers in the shutter collection and see how it goes. Cheers!

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I am in the market for some ND filters for my Phantom 4 Pro. Now I need this forum's help.

I just joined the Phantom Pilots forums today, but I have been reading them and learning for quite some time, I just never joined until now because I didn't exactly have a reason to post until now. I came across a thread here last night while researching the filters I want to get. I see in the comparison on the first page of that thread I came across here that the PolarPro ND8 filter seems to have quite a bit of color difference from the DJI ND8 filter or the DJI UV filter. Please see this link to see which thread I am referring to:

Detailed comparison of commonly used ND filters

That was the standard non-Cinema Series filter used in the comparison though and I don't see any of the newer Cinema Series filters on that comparison for reference. Keep in mind that the comparison thread there is on the P3 forum and I have a Phantom 4 Pro, but it still makes me debate them a bit. So that's where I need everyone's help here PLEASE.

I am torn between purchasing the DJI ND4, ND8, and ND16 filters - or purchasing the PolarPro Cinema Series Shutter Collection filters. I'm gonna eventually go with one or the other. Now is where I need everyone's help PLEASE.

I have tried to do lots of research into the matter and I am honestly getting mixed signals on it. So many people write that PolarPro Cinema Series filters are top of the line with their advertised higher quality glass. The PolarPro Cinema Series filters seem to be what everyone recommends for the most part, but I have read mixed reviews on them while comparing them to the DJI filters, which seem super neutral as far as I have read and seen (which they should be of course, as they are made through DJI by the same people that made the P4P camera so they should be a perfect match).

The standard PolarPro filters used in the comparison on the thread I linked above seem to introduce a bit of warmth to the lens, making your overall pic or video look a little warmer than normal. What about the Cinema Series filters though? Do they do the same thing? The object of filters is that you don't want them introducing color change. You want them to be as neutral as possible so they show the colors as truly as possible. How do the PolarPro Cinema Series filters, specifically the Shutter Collection that I am interested in, match up to staying neutral like the DJI filters do though? The DJI ones in that comparison thread seem to be SUPER neutral, which is a good thing, and since it was for a P3, I am assuming the DJI P4P filters stay just as neutral.

I've watched videos on the Black Raven Films YouTube channel which compared the PolarPro Cinema Series ND/PL filters to the DJI ND only filters, but that's not an accurate test because you can't compare polarized filters to non-polarized filters and get accurate comparison results. That's like comparing apples to oranges and expecting the apples to be orange. Not accurate. I need something that compares the PolarPro Cinema Series Shutter Collection ND-only filters to the DJI ND-only filters. I have never seen a comparison of such on a video or in pictures.

The thing I really like about the DJI filters is that they seem to be as neutral as can be, and they are the exact same size as the stock UV filter too, meaning you can use the stock gimbal guard clamp with them still attached to your camera. You can't do that with the PolarPro filters. I did ask Jeff from PolarPro about that though, and he said that the Cinema Series Shutter Collection would actually fit in the stock gimbal guard that comes with the Phantom 4 Pro (the Vivid Collection won't because they are a tad longer) but that the Shutter Collection filters would be a very tight fit with the stock gimbal guard, so he recommends getting the P4P lens cover that PolarPro just came out with. The only problem with the lens covers from them is that it protects the lens filter attached to your camera, sure, but although it does provide some gimbal stabilization, it doesn't stabilize the gimbal during transport as much as the stock gimbal guard. It would be a pain in the butt to have to take off your PolarPro filter at the end of your flight all of the time just to put the stock UV filter back on in order to use the stock gimbal guard when packing up. Not a total deal breaker, but it's definitely worth mentioning because lots of us like to pack up and move to another spot pretty quickly when trying to get our shots and time is valuable. I know I could get the lens cover PP just came out with if the Shutter Collection is indeed too tight of a fit for the stock gimbal guard, but I don't like the fact that it looks like it doesn't provide as much stabilization and support for the gimbal as the stock DJI gimbal guard does. I have never used the lens cover from PP, but I have spoken with many who have used the PP lens cover on a standard P4 and they all have told me that it does protect the gimbal but the gimbal can still wobble just a hair with it on. My Phantom 4 Pro gimbal guard won't allow ANYTHING to wobble, AT ALL.

Anyways....

So between the Phantom 4 Pro filters that DJI makes and the Phantom 4 Pro PolarPro Cinema Series Shutter Collection filters, which ones are truly the best as far as providing neutral colors and providing clarity? PolarPro Cinema Series filters are are advertised as being made with higher quality glass than the DJI filters and they also have a lower refractive index, and are also multicoated with AR coatings to help reduce lens flaring, enhancing clarity. Is the difference really noticeable or are the differences subtle?

I did come across another review on the two last night which actually says that the DJI ones are made with higher quality glass than the PolarPro, even if it is the Cinema Series you are comparing DJI ones to. That goes against what PolarPro advertises in that the Cinema Series is a higher quality glass than what DJI uses. Check this link here and scroll about halfway down the page and you will see DJI at number 2 and PolarPro at number 3.

A quick review of ND filters for the DJI Phantom

Is that comparison even accurate?

I know this is a long thread and thanks for anyone who is still reading, but I'm here to ask all of you which ones are truly the best? Which ones do you recommend, and why? Please do not be totally biased because you use one over the other, and please do not actually recommend one over the other if you have never actually used both.

Please do feel free to post your opinions on it though for me cuz I need to make up my mind on it and I am having a very hard time doing just that.

I bought a set of PolarPro from Amazon in ND4, 8, and 16. They came in a nice case and looked very well made except that there was 1 ND4 and 2 of the ND8's. So I returned the set and purchased the 3 in the same power from DJI. I received them in a week (no case) and I have been using them every time I fly - even on a cloudy day I'll use the ND4.
I fly a P4P+ and all I can tell you about the DJI filters is that they are beautifully manufactured and very accurately proportional.
Good luck!

Reactions: B11ECY
Great thread, my question exactly. So have you made a decision? I think I'm about to order the Dji 8 & 16.

I bought a set of PolarPro from Amazon in ND4, 8, and 16. They came in a nice case and looked very well made except that there was 1 ND4 and 2 of the ND8's. So I returned the set and purchased the 3 in the same power from DJI. I received them in a week (no case) and I have been using them every time I fly - even on a cloudy day I'll use the ND4.
I fly a P4P+ and all I can tell you about the DJI filters is that they are beautifully manufactured and very accurately proportional.
Good luck!
So you talking about the Polar Pro's or are you talking about the DJI filters? Which one do you have?

I have owned almost all of the collections from Polar Pro and have been super satisfied with them all. I would highly recommend the Shutter Collection for your P4P man. To get your shutter speed dialed in at the optimum aperture you want to use you'll need the ND8 and mostly the ND16 for daytime flying. This will get you around F5.6 or so at 60th of a second if your shooting at 30FPS. I would never buy a polarizer built in type for me. Im not flying over water or reflective things that much. Plus you have to adjust or rotate them just right for the angle your flying too. Great glass imo on all Polar Pro products.

"Im not flying over water or reflective things that much."

You are actually flying over reflective things all the time. Just not HIGHLY reflective. A polarizing filter will increase color saturation in grass and leaves if used properly. The only negative to a polarizing filter as I see it is the fact that an extra piece of glass ALWAYS costs something in terms of optical performance. And, with a wide angle lens, the effect of polarization in a blue sky is uneven. The 'darkening' of the polarized rays occurs most at a region in the sky that is 90 degrees from the sun's position. That can lead to a strangely uneven blue in the sky IF the shot has a low horizon.

What I wish someone would make is a lens shade for the P4 Pro. That would help solve some of the issues regarding optical performance.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I would pay money for that if it worked without too much compromise.

There is a guy who has designed one for a 3D printer to make. His first version was 9 grams and affected the gimbal's performance. He got it down to 3 grams or so and says it now works. Of course, one would need a 3D printer or know someone who does.

The issue is going to be wind resistance more than weight as I see it. They made shades for other Phantom models. Wish they would for this one.

Ahh...I'm really torn between the Vivid and Shutter. I do intend flying over water sometimes so the polarizer may be helpful, but at the same time I really don't want to have to play around with the filter too much before I fly. I'm too much of a perfectionist and I can see myself getting frustrated.

Maybe someone with a lot of photography experience can answer this question. Once I set the polarizer filter to the desired angle, is it only good for the exact direction and height that I set it at? What if I move the drone up or down, or rotate it? For example I hold my drone with camera facing out towards the sea, with the sun behind me, and I set the polarizer filter to the desired image. I fly out over the waves and then I decide to turn around. Would getting the proper return shot require me to reset the filter angle? This may be a dumb question but if setting the filter is only good for one specific shot, then it seems like too much of a hassle.

Can anyone provide any suggestions?

Ahh...I'm really torn between the Vivid and Shutter. I do intend flying over water sometimes so the polarizer may be helpful, but at the same time I really don't want to have to play around with the filter too much before I fly. I'm too much of a perfectionist and I can see myself getting frustrated.

Maybe someone with a lot of photography experience can answer this question. Once I set the polarizer filter to the desired angle, is it only good for the exact direction and height that I set it at? What if I move the drone up or down, or rotate it? For example I hold my drone with camera facing out towards the sea, with the sun behind me, and I set the polarizer filter to the desired image. I fly out over the waves and then I decide to turn around. Would getting the proper return shot require me to reset the filter angle? This may be a dumb question but if setting the filter is only good for one specific shot, then it seems like too much of a hassle.

Can anyone provide any suggestions?

As regarding cutting reflections, the polarizing filter will cut reflections off of horizontal surfaces regardless of the heading of the craft when it is rotated to cut horizontal glare. This works as long as the lens remains for the most part level. If you rotate the polarizer 90 degrees, then it will cut reflections off of vertical planes. Once it is set for either a horizontal or vertical position, as long as the lens is not subjected to 'roll', the heading and yaw will do nothing to change anything. Ie., if you are cutting reflections off of a lake, you can fly east, west, north, south... that does not change the relationship between the filter and the plane of the lake.

As regarding cutting reflections, the polarizing filter will cut reflections off of horizontal surfaces regardless of the heading of the craft when it is rotated to cut horizontal glare. This works as long as the lens remains for the most part level. If you rotate the polarizer 90 degrees, then it will cut reflections off of vertical planes. Once it is set for either a horizontal or vertical position, as long as the lens is not subjected to 'roll', the heading and yaw will do nothing to change anything. Ie., if you are cutting reflections off of a lake, you can fly east, west, north, south... that does not change the relationship between the filter and the plane of the lake.

Yup, that's the way it works - good job with you explanation, Jim!

Thanks! That makes sense. What about tilting the camera up or down while moving forward? Will that affect the polarization set to cut horizontal glare?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav