Hello, Im new and my Brand new DJI Mini 2 flew away by itself!

Reaction score
Hello everybody!!
I am brand new here and am not even sure if this is what should be posted here but im so worried and have no other help..

So basically, to try and make this some what brief i will just add basics and HOPEFULLY whatever else is needed or can be useful someone could let me know..
I just purchased A new DJI mini 2 and flew it around 20 times.. On my last flight I was flying as normal and at my normal rc drone flying field on the 15th of this month and approx 60% battery at this point and PLENTY gps connection when everything went south.. I brought the mini 2 up roughly 80' and maybe 300' away from myself when out of nowhere my drone started flying up higher extremely quickly ( Faster then I could ever manually make it go ) & started darting over to my right but going further in distance.. I pulled, pushed, tapped & even held some / every button but got absolutely no response from the moment it started going up on its own & i Immediately went to the find my drone option ( because at this point i heard my drone make a landing & blades cutting grass) but said that it could NOT flash lights nor make noises due to having no connection with my device... I also had put a Tile Gps on top of the drone which worked fine and have tested many times. I did this As a back up incase something like this were to happen.. The last location or crash location actually shows my path in a dark blue line and stops at a specific spot, but whats odd is a couple of the times I reviewed the flight playback it showed a VERY long light blue line going for miles past the aka crash spot.. I have since been unable to see the light blue line again but what im getting at is i spent 55 hours and searched 3 square miles inch by inch while consistanly searching for drone, bluetooth devices & my tile ... NOT 1 came back!! So im having doubts it is where it claimed that it crashed & called DJI which said I need to send them a ton of info for them to see if it was a user error or malfunction .. I have plugged my phone into computer to get the Log data but after reviewing them its all coded or something.. Or not written in any english format that I can understand . I was HOPING someone here could help me understand or translate my logs because I just have a feeling DJI is going to try saying they wont replace it & i just got it. I know its not a WHOLE lot of money but i have saved up for that for almost 2 months and had it for 5 days :/
Im just going to attach the last days file in hopes one of you reading can understand some or all of it..

THANK YOU FOR READING AND HELPING IF YOUR ABLE TO!! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2021-08-15_[22-02-17].txt
    1.7 MB · Views: 218
  • DJIFlightRecord_2021-08-15_[22-01-57].txt
    6.3 KB · Views: 167
Have you posted this at MavicPilots.com ? Many similar if you use the search function there. Good luck.

I have attached where to open your flight log. It states at around 4 seconds your Return to Home altitude was changed to 424m. Which is aound 1400ft, not a good idea. Towards the end of the flight you were
at -340ft altitude, yes that's minus 340ft around 1400ft away from the Home Point and you were flying from the middle of a residential area, the Drone was lower than your feet with 10 or so Houses between you and your Drone probably all with Wifi which may have swamped your signal when the altitude dropped below house height, and unfortunately it looks like you're flight ended in trees near water.
Phantom help.com is a simple to use DJI flight log viewer, just upload you Log file and in a minute or two you'll have a map of your flight and a minute by minute description of your flight.

The screenshot of where the flight ended may be worth a look. Good luck..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210822-184707_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210822-184707_Chrome.jpg
    688.6 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Reactions: dronesky
I have attached where to open your flight log. It states at around 4 seconds your Return to Home altitude was changed to 424m. Which is aound 1400ft, not a good idea. Towards the end of the flight you were
at -340ft altitude, yes that's minus 340ft around 1400ft away from the Home Point and you were flying from the middle of a residential area, the Drone was lower than your feet with 10 or so Houses between you and your Drone probably all with Wifi which may have swamped your signal when the altitude dropped below house height, and unfortunately it looks like you're flight ended in trees near water.
Phantom help.com is a simple to use DJI flight log viewer, just upload you Log file and in a minute or two you'll have a map of your flight and a minute by minute description of your flight.

Thank you very much for being kind enough to look into that for me. I just am not aware at all and how to utilize it. I'm going to try it out again now and do what you said. It has some kind of malfunction because I was definitely trying to get it away from where it was going it's as if my controller and devices connection just completely stopped out of nowhere and the Drone just did what it wanted to do. But here is the weird thing is that when I look back on the map on the application it shows that my drone continue to fly into the ocean somehow, I will try to attach that video or photo. I am currently talking to DJ I about the issue because I just bought this drone and I felt that it was a malfunction and they are reviewing it to see if it was a driver error meaning my fault or if it was a malfunction with in the unit. If it is not a malfunction then they said they will not replace it even though it's like 10 days old

I had to screen record the video being that I'm not sure on how to upload it from the application but anybody that has input on this particular footage I would greatly appreciate it

You are a good man, Andy, for lending your time and expertise to this gentleman. From your response, it appears that you have pretty much pinpointed a likely spot for him to go investigate but it didn't appear he was too interested in trying that for some reason.

I'm puzzled as to how his drone could possibly be in a tree and be at an altitude of NEGATIVE 340 feet. Did he launch the bird from a tall building? Hill? I'm sure the problem is my murky understanding of what happened. Hope he gets everything resolved OK and that he does a follow-up post on what gremlin invaded his settings 4 seconds into his flight.

It would also be interesting to learn how he could actually hear the Mini 2 land and the blades cutting grass from 1400 feet away. Of course, if the drone crashed and made a crater 340 feet deep, I suppose even my old tired ears could have heard it...lol.

I'm puzzled as to how his drone could possibly be in a tree and be at an altitude of NEGATIVE 340 feet.
The land all around the flight area is fairly flat.
-30 ft might be possible, but nothing is -340 ft so the height is false data which is very common after a crash.
The impact on the IMU causes this.

Reactions: BigL
So the OP never posted back to tell us the outcome of his situation? Gonna check over at mavicpilots.

I had similar issue this weekend with my Mini2 and working with DJI right now.

Haven't had such an issue with my P3P or P3S.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan