Crashed P4 - data/pictures inside - what to do next?

Reaction score
I was flying last Thursday following a boat (over water). Got the video I wanted and put it in Sport mode to return home as I was 2000 ft away. I was coming down to get about 5 feet off the water (less wind and my height to catch it - I was on a boat) and then all of sudden it crashed in the water. See attached data from the flight log.

What is the next step to determine if there was a malfunction? See attached JPEG for the exerpt from the flight log. I circled where it landed in the water and highlighted the first 0ft height line.

crash.jpg

Last edited:
What is the next step to determine if there was a malfunction?
Please post a link to your flight log here.

Why do you believe there was a malfunction?

Reactions: Travis Brown
Because I was 8' above the water (as indicated by the data) then all of a sudden it went in.

Flight record attached.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-09-07_[18-28-18].txt
    871 KB · Views: 435
Reactions: DOYAM
Because I was 8' above the water (as indicated by the data) then all of a sudden it went in.
Please tell us more about this. What do you remember seeing? Spare us no details.

Thanks, is this different than what I uploaded and took my screenshot from?
It's the same flight log. I just linked it above so everyone else doesn't have to upload it ;)

Reactions: goose342
It's the same flight log. I just linked it above so everyone else doesn't have to upload it ;)

Awesome, thank you.

Please tell us more about this. What do you remember seeing? Spare us no details.

I was coming straight home (home location was different than takeoff since I was on a boat - I have my loss of signal function to hover), lowering slowly to my height. See graph plot of height/seconds. Something clearly happened.
crash plot.jpg

Reactions: USER455
Because I was 8' above the water (as indicated by the data) then all of a sudden it went in..
Flying low in Sport mode is risky, particularly when you cannot clearly see your drone.
Relying on the accuracy of VPS altitude data in Sport mode is probably not a good idea, particularly when you are very close to water.
In Sport mode, your Phantom is tilted forward at 42° which means the VPS is not pointing straight down.
And the water surface is not a good target for reliable data from the VPS.
From 7:16 until the end of the flight record at 7:22.7 you had the throttle lever partly down so the Phantom was descending until the end.
The most likely explanation is that you flew it in.

Reactions: PhatHD
See graph plot of height/seconds. Something clearly happened.
Your graph is showing the VPS altitude -- which is not very accurate when flying over water. It appears the only thing that happened was you relied on the VPS data instead of monitoring the height above the water with your eyes. Flying close to the surface of the water is very risky (even more so at full speed).

Reactions: PhatHD and FredK
Flying low in Sport mode is risky, particularly when you cannot clearly see your drone.
Relying on the accuracy of VPS altitude data in Sport mode is probably not a good idea, particularly when you are very close to water.
In Sport mode, your Phantom is tilted forward at 42° which means the VPS is not pointing straight down.
And the water surface is not a good target for reliable data from the VPS.
It looks like you flew it in.

I agree, I stayed up higher until I could see it. I have used this method plenty of times before with success. Clearly sport mode has its risks but I stayed higher up until I had better line of sight. I was above the water then it went down suddenly. I know there are risks but I am trying to determine if this was a malfunction or not.

Reactions: Richard Weber
Here is the video flight log showing controls. I had line of sight. The VPS is more accurate on the log than in this video, it shows I was 29ft when it went down which is clearly not true:

I agree with Meta4. The video shows your left stick slightly pulled down at the end. You may have thought the stick was in the neutral position, but it shows that you continued to fly it downward into the water, which is easy to do from only 5 ft off the water. This was pilot error. You may have successfully flown this same way before, but this time the odds caught up to you.

Last edited:
I agree with Meta4. The video shows your left stick slightly pulled down at the end. You may have thought the stick was in the neutral position, but it shows that you continued to fly it downward into the water, which is easy to do from only 5 ft off the water. This was pilot error. You may have successfully flown this same way before, but this time the odds caught up to you.

I love the jump to conclusion. I was watching it and it basically fell out of the sky. I am an experienced flyer and know when its in neutral vs. not. I had altitude to do what I wanted to do. Not to mention, I have my controls adjusted on so there inst much reaction till later into the curve of the manipulated stick. My EXP settings are higher than most.

I was watching it and it basically fell out of the sky.
Does your flight log show it falling out of the sky or did it fall out of the sky after your flight log ended?

Got it. The flight log shows you gradually piloted it into the surface of the water.

I'm guessing you were too far away to clearly see it was that close to the water?

Got it. The flight log shows you gradually piloted it into the surface of the water.

I'm guessing you were too far away to clearly see it was that close to the water?

As mentioned in another post, I was watching it and it basically fell from about 8-10 ft. into the water.

I was watching it and it basically fell from about 8-10 ft. into the water.
Odd stuff. That's not what your flight log shows at all.

I guess you could try contacting DJI Support for help. I doubt they'll offer a free replacement though since your flight log indicates a clear case of pilot error.

Odd stuff. That's not what your flight log shows at all.

I guess you could try contacting DJI Support for help. I doubt they'll offer a free replacement though since your flight log indicates a clear case of pilot error.

I have contacted them. Just curious, what is your justification for claiming pilot error? The IMU height has to be ignored here clearly. It hit the water at speed and kept speed amd signal so the last blip of downward stick is a reaction because I straightened my arms putting the controller at my waist after I saw it crash.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumperswaves