Crashed into the ocean. Now what do I do?

Reaction score
So I bought a P4P with DJI Care Refresh. On my third flight of the day I lost control of it over water and it crashed into the ocean.
I'm pretty sure it was not pilot error. Since I don't have my drone what is my recourse with DJI?

On my third flight of the day I lost control of it over water and it crashed into the ocean.
I'm pretty sure it was not pilot error. Since I don't have my drone what is my recourse with DJI?
You can start by uploading your device flight log to the link provided below. DJI may or may not request such, since you do not have the aircrafts log file. By looking at the device log first, that will give you a heads up as a detrmination of pilot error or not. If you wish to have others analyze it for you, place a link here to your uploaded log file. Instructions are on the link:

DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help

Reactions: elliot825
So I bought a P4P with DJI Care Refresh. On my third flight of the day I lost control of it over water and it crashed into the ocean.
I purchased DJI Care for my P3. Before doing so, I actually read the fine print. Water landings were not covered. In addition, any and all claims must include the drone so they can read the .dat file and determine what happened.

The flight log may have a few clues.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
You can start by uploading your device flight log to the link provided below. DJI may or may not request such, since you do not have the aircrafts log file. By looking at the device log first, that will give you a heads up as a detrmination of pilot error or not. If you wish to have others analyze it for you, place a link here to your uploaded log file. Instructions are on the link:

DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help

I used my cell phone for the flight.

Here is the URL: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Thank you very much!

Your help is very much appreciated.

After tripod mode (you made a movie of the pier there I think?) it switched (did you do this?) to Atti-mode, short after Sport mode and in the end (while descending) atti-mode..

So this switching seems to be the start of the problems. Maybe you didn't see you switched it to atti mode?

Did you see the bird go down or didn't you have any sight on it?

From the data, it appears you had a motor issue. At ~570 sec, you had an obstruction warning, which means most likely either you hit something or something hit you. You began spinning out of control from approx 38m in altitude right in to the water.

Pitch Roll Yaw.png

Motor Obstructed.png

From the data, it appears you had a motor issue. At ~570 sec, you had an obstruction warning, which means most likely either you hit something or something hit you. You began spinning out of control from approx 38m in altitude right in to the water.

View attachment 103905

View attachment 103906

I didn't see anything. I was watching the general area. It kept switching to atti mode. I didnt switch it.

I didn't see anything. I was watching the general area. It kept switching to atti mode. I didnt switch it.
It switched to ATTI because you were spinning out of control. No way from your position could you see such a thing as possibly a small gull. Just a guess but you were too high in ALT to have another theory. An I never said you switched it, by the way. That is neither here nor there.

It switched to ATTI because you were spinning out of control. No way from your position could you see such a thing as possibly a small gull. Just a guess but you were too high in ALT to have another theory. An I never said you switched it, by the way. That is neither here nor there.

Do you think DJI will cover a care refresh without the drone?

If you can ONLY send them a big pile of wires and circuit boards and motors...after a severe crash....you might be OK ! Lar bears Right On !

Yup... time to buy a new drone and as a new Flyer...
fly LOS over solid ground.
Experience is expensive...:(

Why would you pay extra money for care refresh when most major credit cards cover you within 90 days of loss. Happened to me. Dji refused, went to credit card and got my money back. Bought a Parrot after that. Their drones are every bit as good.

I know the conversation's about DJI Care, but I'm curious .... I went with State Farm insurance for my P4P for $60 a year where getting a replacement is a lot easier than having to prove to DJI the drone's lost. Is insurance a smart and cheaper alternative to DJI Care?

I went with State Farm insurance for my P4P for $60 a year where getting a replacement is a lot easier than having to prove to DJI the drone's lost. Is insurance a smart and cheaper alternative to DJI Care?
No, unless you are prepared for your homeowners policy to increase rates for a claim...Easier yes, cost effective no.

No, unless you are prepared for your homeowners policy to increase rates for a claim...Easier yes, cost effective no.
My state Farm rates didn't go up and I've had two claims over the years... one for $2500... for lost rings... one for lightning damage. Even if they go up it would likely only be 5% for two or three years so lots less than the loss. Most such policies have a deductible though. There would still be some loss but for $60 a year if you have an accident after 4 years you have invested $240 plus any deductible to replace a $1,000 - $2,000 machine... seems cost effective to me. It also depends on how the policy is written though and your relationship w/ your agent. If you are friends he/she will work for you usually also to get the Insurer to pay the most you can get.

Thanks, that's a good thought! Though at least for me my homeowners' policy is with a different company than my drone policy.

You guys are lucky with insurance in the states - my drone insurance is over $1000, thats more than I pay insurance on my 2018 LC470 here in Australia.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez