Crashed my P4 today by flying too low. Will I recover it? (learn by my mistake)

Reaction score
Very sad to have to share my crucial mistake and last flight with Phantom 4, at least maybe somebody else can learn from it. Went down in the lake today as I tried to fly very near water surface. I flew in same manner couple of times before and really liked feeling of it and footage, but I got tricked today.
Also right before the flight I had feeling that this flight would not end up good for some reason..

I have been looking and analysing through the flight log of the crash, even if I did tried to adjust the height not to be so low it kept sinking little by little by itself, my guess is that the wind played roll in putting the aircraft down, finally and violently.
This drone was really great for me, never had single issue with it and I flew many nice flights.
First I did not wanted to see the actual crash in the video cache but then I wanted to upload it and contribute to the "drone crash compilations" as I myself did enjoy seeing lots of those on the tube. So here is mine:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Happened also to be right in front of me as I was flying by the spot where I sat on the rocks to the left. The sound comes from the ipad and was enabled through dji go 4 app.

Last edited:
Reactions: THEHOFF and OOO
Sorry for your loss. I know that feeling and I can understand your not wanting to watch crush video. We learn a lot from our mistakes but no one can experiences all possible mistakes. Thus, often times we learn more from others mistakes than from our mistakes. Thank you very much for sharing your crush video and experiences with us. All my knowledge on drones comes from this forum where everyone contributes and everyone benefits.

Thx Bckmstr and OOO!

When flying low, and even when flying at higher altitude, it is possible that the phantom will descend some. Pair it with aircraft trying to decide the altitude over the water flying fast is too much to ask. I narrowed the marginals too much, I was in risky mood, must admit that..

Reactions: OOO
Very sad to have to share my crucial mistake and last flight with Phantom 4

When flying that low to the ground or water, a drone will have similar reactions to even slight wind gusts, just like a fixed wing craft would. Flying that low with fixed wing or rotor wing is a high risk flight, any little down draft and you could be toast.

The good news is nobody got hurt from this pilot error, and you have justification for buying a P4P. "Honey, I don't have a drone anymore. I need to buy a replacement!" :p

Reactions: OOO
When flying that low to the ground or water, a drone will have similar reactions to even slight wind gusts, just like a fixed wing craft would. Flying that low with fixed wing or rotor wing is a high risk flight, any little down draft and you could be toast.

The good news is nobody got hurt from this pilot error, and you have justification for buying a P4P. "Honey, I don't have a drone anymore. I need to buy a replacement!" :p

Actually when I go through flight log I dont know if wind played biggest role. I can see in the log (and that can also be seen on the footage) that aircraft makes two, what seems for me identical, "slopes" in the last 30 seconds of the flight. In the first sinking episode (it almost crashes at 0:12) I am able to see it and correct for the altitude loss. In second episode it loses altitude again (the crash), but I am not able to spot it on the time as I am taking of the fatsharks and wanting to see the craft flying by.

However, it was to push it too hard, it was not smart even if it´s fun to fly low with the goggles..

P4P is great drone but I think I cannot justify it for myself. I will have to live without one I think. Although I will make attempt to recover my drone from the lake. But I still have my superb GL300C to hold in the hands and pretend flying when I watch my old flights through the fatsharks.. :)

Actually when I go through flight log I dont know if wind played biggest role. I can see in the log (and that can also be seen on the footage) that aircraft makes two, what seems for me identical, "slopes" in the last 30 seconds of the flight. In the first sinking episode (it almost crashes at 0:12) I am able to see it and correct for the altitude loss. In second episode it loses altitude again (the crash), but I am not able to spot it on the time as I am taking of the fatsharks and wanting to see the craft flying by.

However, it was to push it too hard, it was not smart even if it´s fun to fly low with the goggles..

P4P is great drone but I think I cannot justify it for myself. I will have to live without one I think. Although I will make attempt to recover my drone from the lake. But I still have my superb GL300C to hold in the hands and pretend flying when I watch my old flights through the fatsharks.. :)

I have noticed that the Phantom always slowly descends in Sports mode, it is just the way it is designed, I suppose. But surely you cannot go without a drone from now on? A P4 can be had relatively cheap now and having the Fatsharks would be an awful waste without a drone...

I have noticed that the Phantom always slowly descends in Sports mode, it is just the way it is designed, I suppose. But surely you cannot go without a drone from now on? A P4 can be had relatively cheap now and having the Fatsharks would be an awful waste without a drone...

I was not in sport mode but obstacle avoiding was disabled to achieve little higher speed. But it seems it descends in that mode as well.
P4´s are still pretty expensive what I have been seeing them second hand. Cannot afford used nor justify another one...

Last edited:
I am sorry for your loss. But as they are saying, there are only two types of drone flyers. The ones that have crashed a drone and the ones that haven't yet. Take some time to regret (I have been there) and then order a new or second hand one. P4A? Drone flying is to much fun!

ps. Is it impossible to recover it from the water?

Reactions: zgembit
cool footage, sorry for your drowned bird. I was flying about 4 feet from the ground at my farm yesterday. low footage is cool. Thanks for sharing. How do you get sound from your bird?

cool footage, sorry for your drowned bird. I was flying about 4 feet from the ground at my farm yesterday. low footage is cool. Thanks for sharing. How do you get sound from your bird?

You don't. He was recording sound from his tablet/phone's mic.

You only hear the bird once it got nearer to him.

I am sorry for your loss. But as they are saying, there are only two types of drone flyers. The ones that have crashed a drone and the ones that haven't yet. Take some time to regret (I have been there) and then order a new or second hand one. P4A? Drone flying is to much fun!

ps. Is it impossible to recover it from the water?

Thx for kind words, yeah it really sucks because I wasted great and expensive drone.

But I am in process of making plan how to recover it (although what chances are it is worth it?). It is difficult for several reasons: its very cold in Sweden now (about 2 celsius) so I would need a boat, I crushed it about 20m from the shore and after little research I estimate that craft lies about 8m down...
Any phantom-recover experts give me your tips I would highly appreciate that! :)

Thx man I appreciate yours and all other drone-pals compassion messages. Big up for you all!
As noted before, the sound comes from ipad and dji go 4 app.

Were you watching your drone or your screen when this happened? What would you have done differently?

I watched on goggles.
I should not go so very low as phantom descended some in flying over the water. I could see descend first time but did not expected it to descend again (and crash).
Also, on that gray(cloudy weather) day the water is very gray/black and looking through the goggles it was hard to see slight descends, partially also due to goggles relative low resolution screens.

Phantom reads altitude in 1m increments I believe, thats not very practical if you are going to fly so low. When it crashed altitude reading was 5m (although I did start on little higher point then the lake surface).
30 sec before the crash I was on 4m altitude but did not touch the water.

To be honest, I don't think you will have much joy in salvaging the drone, it's most likely FUBAR. Have you tried your home insurance? It's worth a shot...

Very sad to have to share my crucial mistake and last flight with Phantom 4, at least maybe somebody else can learn from it. Went down in the lake today as I tried to fly very near water surface. I flew in same manner couple of times before and really liked feeling of it and footage, but I got tricked today.
Also right before the flight I had feeling that this flight would not end up good for some reason..

I have been looking and analysing through the flight log of the crash, even if I did tried to adjust the height not to be so low it kept sinking little by little by itself, my guess is that the wind played roll in putting the aircraft down, finally and violently.
This drone was really great for me, never had single issue with it and I flew many nice flights.
First I did not wanted to see the actual crash in the video cache but then I wanted to upload it and contribute to the "drone crash compilations" as I myself did enjoy seeing lots of those on the tube. So here is mine:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Happened also to be right in front of me as I was flying by the spot where I sat on the rocks to the left. The sound comes from the ipad and was enabled through dji go 4 app.
Sorry about your loss. That really was some incredible footage though!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31