Complete shutdown Phantom P 3 and crash from 20 Meters

Reaction score
Yesterday after flying my P3 up around a mountain and captured some great footage I came back into land and at 20 meters above the ground power was cut to all props and it fell from that height with considerable damage.

I was coming down fast, had done that plenty of times and was turning at the same time. Have been told it could be because I executed a CSC and shut off all motors but can this happen midair.

The P3 is about 2 weeks old.

Attachments

• Mountain flying.png
    Mountain flying.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 1,041
Unlike holding down elevation alone, where you must be on the ground to shut the engines down, You CAN perform a CSC in midair, cutting engine power immediately. Sorry you had to learn it the expensive way!

I'm wondering why you would want to do a CSC when it's still aloft? A CSC will kill the motors and of course it'll drop out of the sky. I think you've proved a CSC does work in midair!

CSC can be done midair (as a safety measure if the drone is about hit something/someone). Sounds like that is what happened, bad luck but this is explained in the manual. You're not the first and won't be the last to do this but it sucks for you nonetheless.

Besides the CSC issue, I recommend not flying agressively by routine. Vortex and flying out of the envelope are some of the hazards you may encounter and they are hard to recognize when you are not aboard the aircraft.
When I am flying the Phantom most of the time I do not use to use more than 70% of the controller stick run.
Sorry for the aircraft lose. I hope you can repair it and get back on the air soon.

Dawson Bliss, check your flight log. It should show if you performed a CSC.

Reactions: Dawson Bliss
I was coming down fast, had done that plenty of times and was turning at the same time. Have been told it could be because I executed a CSC and shut off all motors but can this happen midair?
There is no doubt that CSC will stop the motors in mid-air.
DJI is pretty clear about that in the manual and there are a small number of incidents where pilots have done it for one reason or another and confirmed what the manual states.
i-ZhRNmjb-L.jpg

But .. CSC is not something that you can accidentally do mid-air unless you are flying like a hyperactive chimp.
You don't think .. perhaps I accidentally CSCd?
You would know if you were going crazy bananas on the sticks and making your Phantom turn itself inside out.
Coming down fast with a little turning is fine and won't initiate CSC.
Coming down fast/full speed backwards+sideways while rotating flat out will.
It's not unheard of for a flyer to go crazy on the sticks and claim to have "accidentally" CSCd while in normal flight.
And it's not unheard of for a Phantom to come down because of a rare electro-mechanical failure.
With the limited information available, I'd say your case is one of these two possibilities but I can't tell which.

My money is on the chimp theory :)

Doubt that you accidently did a CSC have to hold them for 3 seconds. Long time whe in flight. BTWeautiful picture.. Like a post card.

CSC will initiate immediately as soon as you get the sticks into either of the CSC configurations.

You are confusing CSC with the left stick down to stop after landing.
Try it on the ground with no props some time.
It's instant ... just like it says in the manual.
yes it is

Method 1 says once the drone has landed, you can hold the throttle down for 3 seconds and it'll shut off. This is how I've been powering off my drone. If I'm just descending quickly and hold the throttle down for 3 seconds, it shouldn't kill the engines, right? Or is that what happened here?

If I'm just descending quickly and hold the throttle down for 3 seconds, it shouldn't kill the engines, right? Or is that what happened here?
That's definitely not what happened.
If you are high enough you can hold the left stick down for 33 seconds and it still won't stop the motors until you have landed.
That's what the manual says and that's the way it works.
Hundreds of pilots have tested and confirmed this.
You can descend left stick full down and it WILL NOT stop the motors in flight.

If I'm just descending quickly and hold the throttle down for 3 seconds, it shouldn't kill the engines, right?
Correct. The motors will not stop for 3-5 seconds after the Phantom has stopped descending.

FYI, the Phantom does not know when it has landed. It can only tell when it stops descending. So, if you like to hand catch like me, you can also hold the left stick down for 3 seconds after you catch it to turn off the motors.

Dawson Bliss, check your flight log. It should show if you performed a CSC.

No need for that - he said "because I executed a CSC and shut off all motors". Well, bless my soul, how silly is that?!?! In my humble opinion a CSC is executed at the beginning, not at any other time.

No need for that - he said "because I executed a CSC and shut off all motors". Well, bless my soul, how silly is that?!?! In my humble opinion a CSC is executed at the beginning, not at any other time.

Read his post again. The whole thing.

No need for that - he said "because I executed a CSC and shut off all motors"
He actually said "Have been told it could be because I executed a CSC".

He actually said "Have been told it could be because I executed a CSC".
Yes. It COULD be because I executed.... etc. To me, this says he DID do a CSC. I think you're implying that he says he COULD have done a CSC. No, he DID a CSC.

No Alan ... you're reading things that just aren't there.
Someone suggested that perhaps he CSCd.
How do you suppose someone would know that unless they had their nose right down between his joysticks?
Someone GUESSED he CSCd ... just like you have.

Reactions: Dawson Bliss

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic