Complete shutdown Phantom P 3 and crash from 20 Meters

Ok, I'll play along. How many cases have you seen that someone has had to use CSC in an emergency? Such as out of control, going to hit a plane, or going to crash into a group of people with a flying lawn mower?

Reactions: Rick K
The popular forum scenario of a Phantom going to hit a plane is fanciful and just isn't going to happen and going to crash into people is probably also unlikely.
But when your Phantom comes down somewhere that spinning props are a danger, you need some way to shut it down immediately.
That's what CSC is for.

I think a bigger warning would be a good idea because even though it is in the manual it doesn't make it as clear as it might do that performing a CSC in midair will most likely break the drone.

There are probably more occurrences of this because drones are becoming more common and not just aiming at the enthusiast market anymore which means that the level of knowledge/understanding is lower. You have people buying a Phantom when they have never flown a drone or even used an RC model before. The Apple style packaging makes the DJI look like it should be very user-friendly and might lead some to skip over instructions in favor of just getting in the air and assuming they can learn as they go.

An enthusiast would be very unlikely to put the sticks in CSC position accidentally because that stick position is not going to result in smooth or controlled flight. A novice who is "just playing around" could do it as they think they are just testing the limits of the drone and checking how it responds.

Ultimately it is the fault of the pilot if they perform a CSC but DJI could save themselves a lot of hassle by making it clearer and there's no real downside to them doing so.

Reactions: atki
I think a bigger warning would be a good idea because even though it is in the manual it doesn't make it as clear as it might do that performing a CSC in midair will most likely break the drone.

There are probably more occurrences of this because drones are becoming more common and not just aiming at the enthusiast market anymore which means that the level of knowledge/understanding is lower. You have people buying a Phantom when they have never flown a drone or even used an RC model before. The Apple style packaging makes the DJI look like it should be very user-friendly and might lead some to skip over instructions in favor of just getting in the air and assuming they can learn as they go.

An enthusiast would be very unlikely to put the sticks in CSC position accidentally because that stick position is not going to result in smooth or controlled flight. A novice who is "just playing around" could do it as they think they are just testing the limits of the drone and checking how it responds.

Ultimately it is the fault of the pilot if they perform a CSC but DJI could save themselves a lot of hassle by making it clearer and there's no real downside to them doing so.

What part of it will stop the motors and the bird will fall from the sky is unclear?

yes, but how very rare is that? Not to mention DJI sells this as an out of the box ready to fly bird. This is form the web site, to all you call newbes and did not RTFM.
"EASY TO FLY
Your Phantom 3 fits into your life and makes flying remarkably intuitive and easy. From takeoff to landing, it's completely under your control, responding to your commands while automatically handling the most complex aspects of safe, stable flight."

Let's not forget how safe it is to fly, even though you can drop it form the sky.

UNPARALLELED SAFETY FOR FIRST-TIME PILOTS
A unique Beginner Mode helps you learn how to fly in a safe, limited area. Your Phantom 3 can be set to fly only within a given
distance and altitude from you, protecting your Phantom and making it automatically stay inside your desired limits.

This invisible, GPS-enabled “geofence” prevents you from accidentally flying into unwanted areas or obstacles,
and helps you enjoy flying while learning at the same time.

Oh btw you have complete control. Why yes you do, you can turn off the motors without even knowing your doing it, complete control is what we give you at DJI while we record what you did. Please read the fine print.

COMPLETE CONTROL
Keep your Phantom 3 fully under your command while accessing the
most-used features right on the included remote controller. Including self destruct in case you get into a very rare circumstance were you are fighting off Romulans.

Giving you full control at nearly triple the range of previous Phantom
models – up to 1.2 miles (2km)* – is the built-in DJI Lightbridge, which
handles all communication to and from your Phantom 3.

This crucial piece of your flight experience has been engineered
specifically for flying camera platforms, making every flight easy, safe, and intuitive.

What part of it will stop the motors and the bird will fall from the sky is unclear?

I'm on your side with this, I think this is 100% user error BUT a simple red A4 sheet of paper with "WARNING" on it and details about the CSC could cut down the number of times it happens. It won't eliminate it since however foolproof you make something there will always be a bigger fool around the corner but it would surely help.

For the sake of a few cents it seems worth doing even though it is for the benefit of people who have only themselves to blame otherwise.

I work in software development and a lot of my job is protecting people from their own stupidity. We don't do it for their benefit, we do it because tidying up after them and getting them to admit their mistake takes more effort than just stopping them making the mistake to begin with.

Ok, I'll play along. How many cases have you seen that someone has had to use CSC in an emergency? Such as out of control, going to hit a plane, or going to crash into a group of people with a flying lawn mower?

I'd imagine (but am not sure) that drones are or will soon be legally required to have a cut-off switch so some form of CSC is probably required.

Perhaps the solution is to have a way to change the CSC command to something like holding down the RTH, C1 and C2 buttons. They could even make it part of the initial required setup so that the user has no way of claiming ignorance since they chose the command set.

I'm on your side with this, I think this is 100% user error BUT a simple red A4 sheet of paper with "WARNING" on it and details about the CSC could cut down the number of times it happens. It won't eliminate it since however foolproof you make something there will always be a bigger fool around the corner but it would surely help.

For the sake of a few cents it seems worth doing even though it is for the benefit of people who have only themselves to blame otherwise.

I work in software development and a lot of my job is protecting people from their own stupidity. We don't do it for their benefit, we do it because tidying up after them and getting them to admit their mistake takes more effort than just stopping them making the mistake to begin with.
I am an Electrical Automation Engineer and you have to make everything fool proof with safety's.

If anyone is curious and wants to perform a CSC without destroying there expensive drone.
I've done it a few times under simulator. Pilot app>help(top right hand corner)>simulator. Take her up as high as u like and let her drop. Remove blades.

Have you guys seen some of the stick movements these new guys use? It's full 100% throws.

There's now over 100,000 phantom 3 in the air. It's not common only to people that do not read the directions.

IMHO you spend this type of money and start flying it the way you would have to , to issue a CSC, you deserve to lose the craft.

It just shows what type of people that are starting to buy these thing..

Have you guys seen some of the stick movements these new guys use? It's full 100% throws.

There's now over 100,000 phantom 3 in the air. It's not common only to people that do not read the directions.

IMHO you spend this type of money and start flying it the way you would have to , to issue a CSC, you deserve to lose the craft.

It just shows what type of people that are starting to buy these thing..
Of course you do, cause that is the kind of hateful person you are. Btw I'm coming up to see you fourth of July, hope we don't have to many birds in the sky and god forbid we have a WIFI problem.

Of course you do, cause that is the kind of hateful person you are. Btw I'm coming up to see fourth of July, hope we don't have to many birds in the sky and god forbid we have a WIFI problem.

Hateful person, my god man..? No a man that takes responsibility for his own actions. You know.... an adult...

Please stay home we have enough people like you come up every forth! Just don't hit a rock and try to blame it on mwd because the lake is low.

Reactions: Bigdz
Hateful person, my god man..? No a man that takes responsibility for his own actions. You know.... an adult...

Please stay home we have enough people like you come up every forth! Just don't hit a rock and try to blame it on mwd because the lake is low.
Omg. See the people that sold us this vacation never said the lake was low.

The fact that so many new fliers are totally confused by this is clear evidence that the manual does not go far enough. There is only one sentence of warning, which in my opinion is not enough given the catastrophic results to equipment, property, and people.

It is far too easy to overlook that one sentence, even if you RTFM. I have written to DJI several times with a recommendation that they put much more in the manual on this topic.

Yes you can ... that's what the manual says.
But you have to do it smoothly to avoid a tipover on the ground.
Using the left stick has less risk of a tipover.

I will have to read the manual again but it sure reads that you can perform a CSC after you have landed

You certainly can do that.

However time and experience has shown it is far better and safer to simply use the left control full down for 3 seconds!

this helps shut down smoothly vs csc that can at times tip the craft if one is slightly off with control position.

The manual will say what and does not work but can never always say what is BEST.

Most things can be done in multiple ways, often none of the ways are wrong, but sometimes certains ways are better.

that is what time and these forums can help with, use them don't fight them.

and yes sometimes one just needs to say "i screwed up, my bad " and live with it!

All we know for sure is it couldn't be CSC because the pros on here say the CSC stick position never happens in real life and it's not a problem. All the "fell from sky" threads are just in people's minds. Plus you should read the manual. Somehow reading the manual fixes the problem (that isn't actually a problem).

Reactions: dalebb

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1