phantom 3 standard crash and now gimbal malfunction

Reaction score
Hi there , newbie here
I had my drone out the other night and clipped it off a wall before i could steer it away. It fell about four feet causing the roll motor to separate from the casing which leads to the camera.
The part still attached to the drone was the part that exposes the copper electro magnet parts (if you know what i mean).
I ordered a new ribbon from eBay and fitted it whilst pushing the roll motor back together.Roll motor is a tiny bit wobbly but doesn't feel like it rubbing or anything. Camera is working 100% which i suppose is good but neither the pitch or the roll motors are working at all.When i turn the drone on doesn't move but you can hear a slight hiss from the gimbal when you move it.When i calibrate it just gets stuck on the " tip dont move etc etc ... and it moves the gimbal to the right a slight bit but thats it.
Ive done an imu calibration ,compass etc.
Ive ordered a pitch and roll motor and i really really hope that will sort it.

Is there anything else i should be trying to sort apart from the ribbon and motors. To be honest this has been a complete nightmare for me as i was bought a phantom 3 second hand for Christmas and after flying for 10 mins the gimbal started going crazy so it was returned to the store.This was a replacement which ive flown for approx 20 mins and now this. I know its my fault this time and id appreciate any help as this has already cost a fortune

You need to make sure the arms aren't bent, yaw arm etc.

Make sure the set screw is still on the flat surface on the top of the yaw arm.

Roll motors separate a lot in a crash. There were posts that tell you how to put them back together on this forum. Check the archives.

Forgive me on this one. I can't remember the name of the component. I forget a lot. LOL The circuit board that the roll motor shaft goes through gets cracked easily. You can't always see the crack. Check the resistance on it. There is a contact near top of that hole that the motor shaft goes through. Put your meter lead on it. The other lead goes on one of the contacts on the bottom corners, it doesn't matter which one. Now turn the center shaft with anything that fits into it and the resistance will go up or down. After half way it will do the opposite. Its working if it does that. It's on You Tube. Good luck.

Thanks for replying. I will get a multi meter tomorrow and check the resistance. Ive taken a look at the main gimbal board and made sure both motors have the cable seated right.Why have Dji not made a gimbal part for replacement?. I mean , I see motors, ribbons, frames etc but why not a complete gimbal without the camera. This bloody thing has me pulling my hair out and my ocd wont let me settle until its working correctly. Does anyone know where i could get a gimbal complete without ther camera in the uk pronto?

Thanks for replying. I will get a multi meter tomorrow and check the resistance. Ive taken a look at the main gimbal board and made sure both motors have the cable seated right.Why have Dji not made a gimbal part for replacement?. I mean , I see motors, ribbons, frames etc but why not a complete gimbal without the camera. This bloody thing has me pulling my hair out and my ocd wont let me settle until its working correctly. Does anyone know where i could get a gimbal complete without ther camera in the uk pronto?
Shame you don't have a Harbor Freight store. In the 70's I paid $50 US for a muti meter. I always took care not to handle it ruffly. I still have it, but hardly use it. They have them at Harbor Freight for under$5 US that does more than my old one and I throw it around like a wrench LOL

Props to you for not just throwing in the towel. Repairing after a crash is half the hobby.

Reactions: Videogirls

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4