Broken gimbal+camera, need advice!

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm a real newbie in the drone world, so bear with me on this :)

I recently bought the Phantom 3 Advanced, and I loved it! The most fun I’ve had I years. Unfortunately I had a little mishap with a Tree. So now my gimbal is broken (it actually is I a couple of parts with a lot of broken cables and the lens is also cracked) and I have decided to not to try and fix it (because it’s probably impossible ;) ) But I tried flying the Phantom without the gimbal and what I can see it’s flying with no problems. I wanted to do a little troubleshooting and see if there’s something else broken, so I contacted DJI and asked them if there’s anything I could try to do at home before have to ship it somewhere (I live in Sweden and UFV’s isn’t that big around here yet). The answer I got is that the only thing to do is to send the drone to their repair shop to get it fixed. But they can’t give me a price on how much it is to fix it.

So I need your advice, what should I do?

Is there any way do check that the drone is all ok and that I just need to buy a new gimbal+camera I fix it myself?

Please post detailed photos of any damage you see.

I can't find any damage to the Phantom it self, just the gimbal and camera.
20160906_172617.jpg

20160906_171751.jpg
20160906_171801.jpg
20160906_171841.jpg
20160906_171849.jpg
20160906_171914.jpg

Do you think there's anything I can do with the parts i have or do i have to buy a new one?
Hi G, first the good news. It looks like you have only broken the lens cover on the camera, not the lens. Buy a new one cheap most anywhere online. The old one will be difficult to unscrew but it will. Be careful! I know that most if not all the other broken parts can be replaced, and you will need a new cable as well. Go on eBay or Amazon and search for parts. You'll find most what you need.
The bad news is that I am of no help beyond that. Someone who has done it before will have to take it from here. Good luck!

Reactions: G-Dizzle
Hi G, first the good news. It looks like you have only broken the lens cover on the camera, not the lens. Buy a new one cheap most anywhere online. The old one will be difficult to unscrew but it will. Be careful! I know that most if not all the other broken parts can be replaced, and you will need a new cable as well. Go on eBay or Amazon and search for parts. You'll find most what you need.
The bad news is that I am of no help beyond that. Someone who has done it before will have to take it from here. Good luck!
Hi, thanks for the help! I was getting kind of anxious cause nobody answered. I've been looking around the internet for parts, the problem is that the little copper colored cable in the gimbal arm is off too not just the black one. Do you think that's replaceable too?

Many thanks! [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G930F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi, thanks for........................., the problem is that the little copper colored cable in the gimbal arm is off too not just the black one. Do you think that's replaceable too?

Many thanks! [emoji2]

I'm guessing from your description, and in one of your pics, that you are referring to the one gimbal motor cable that has a tear. I'm not sure if the cable can be replaced alone, but you can buy replacement gimbal motors, and I don't think they are all that expensive either.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using TapaTalk

Dizzle, I'm bumping your thread because I know there are experts here who may not have seen it and know the answers to your questions.

Do you think there's anything I can do with the parts i have or do i have to buy a new one?
DJI does not sell a replacement for the copper cable. So, you'll either need to buy a used camera to harvest that part or send your camera away to a repair shop to be fixed.

brand new gimbal ~$250
the repairs may exceed that cost, looking at the pictures you posted.

DJI does not sell a replacement for the copper cable. So, you'll either need to buy a used camera to harvest that part or send your camera away to a repair shop to be fixed.
Thanks guys! This is some much needed help! I'm thinking of sending my drone to this Drone Doctor UK - Quadcopter and Camera Drone Repairs repair shop in the UK since I live in Sweden and they have a fixed price on changing gimbals also when they're finished they give a 30 day warranty. The thing is that I'm not really sure if the drone is intact itself either. I think it's flying good, but when I tried landing it tipped over. And it feels like one of the motors is spinning a little bit slow.

Should I change the gimbal myself or send it to the repair shop, what would you do?

Thanks so much for the help!

Last edited:
I'm guessing from your description, and in one of your pics, that you are referring to the one gimbal motor cable that has a tear. I'm not sure if the cable can be replaced alone, but you can buy replacement gimbal motors, and I don't think they are all that expensive either.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using TapaTalk
Can I use of of these motors?

DJI Phantom 3 Gimbal Repair Parts Professional, Advanced, 4K

Can I use of of these motors?
Yes -- that's exactly what you need. However, they don't seem to sell the roll motor for the P3A.

511FVJv+2HL._SL1024_.jpg

Last edited:
The OP said he has an Advanced
That pesky "S" is right beside the "A" ;)

I meant to say there doesn't seem to be anyone who sells a roll motor for the P3A. I was only able to find yaw and pitch motors.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers