Blur/Focus problem in images? How to easily fix it on the P3 Advanced

Check you tightened the four screws that hold the sensor board on back down. If they are really loose it will be well out of focus, even a tiny amount as you know now.
When I was adjusting the focus, i got the board centered so it was even focus all round then worked on the tightness of the screws. By this i mean tighten them down literally till they just touch against the board. no tighter. Take a test shot and if its out of focus turn each one in a tiny bit and repeat until its all in focus. The reason being the board will compress slightly when you do those four screws up and it will push it into the circle of focus. The thick rubber backing on the back plate will help stop any further movement of the sensor board if your sensor board screws are a tiny bit loose.
As for the video where someone swaps the lens out. If you want to go that route be very careful. First during the process your sensor will be exposed, if you are not careful and you scratch it while taking out the lens its borked. New gimbal will be required. There is no fixing it. When you get your lens out and crack the sealant you will need to adjust the whole lens assembly for focus, seal it again, then realign your sensor. If you do. Take your time. Be methodical and careful. Grab a rocket blower to clean out the lens and barrel before you put it back together and really be careful with your sensor.
:) good luck
Why would be required a new gimbal after adjusting the lens?

very good information, I do and adjust the sensor with several tests, I eventually realized that the distance between the lens and the sensor is wrong factory, despite adjusting the maximum screws not give sharpness, there would be sanded part the base where the sensor is located, have the impression that part is metallic, sorry for the translation not speak English just google translator

very good information, I do and adjust the sensor with several tests, I eventually realized that the distance between the lens and the sensor is wrong factory, despite adjusting the maximum screws not give sharpness, there would be sanded part the base where the sensor is located, have the impression that part is metallic, sorry for the translation not speak English just google translator

The only way to fix this is to either return under warranty or take apart the whole lens. You have to do this to break the seal on the lens to be able to adjust the focus.
Be careful doing this. Dont damage your sensor.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

My P3S had a soft left side. I went ahead and adjusted the sensor, and the left side may be a little better, but it is still blurry, and now the right side is a little blurry too. Do you think the tightness of the sensor screws could cause both edges to be blurry by either being too tight or not tight enough? Testing the focus on the Standard model is a little but more of a PITA because there is a second circuit board on the lid, and that is the circuit board that is attached to the ribbon. Every time I open the lid, I get a little nervous about damaging the ribbon.

Any help is appreciated.

M

im not sure about the S. You are right to be careful about the ribbon and yes the tightness of the screws can make a big difference to the focal plane. Sorry i cant help you more on this. hopefully theres someone else with the S that has done this and they can help.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: mexico
My P3S had a soft left side. I went ahead and adjusted the sensor, and the left side may be a little better, but it is still blurry, and now the right side is a little blurry too. Do you think the tightness of the sensor screws could cause both edges to be blurry by either being too tight or not tight enough? Testing the focus on the Standard model is a little but more of a PITA because there is a second circuit board on the lid, and that is the circuit board that is attached to the ribbon. Every time I open the lid, I get a little nervous about damaging the ribbon.

Any help is appreciated.

M
Did you ever get this sorted on your P3S? I have one with soft focus on the right side.

Malakai- can we take the test photos during this procedure while back plate is off? Or do you have to completely reassemble after each move?
That would be a PITA...

Malakai- can we take the test photos during this procedure while back plate is off? Or do you have to completely reassemble after each move?
That would be a PITA...

I took test shots with the back plate off. The difference in balance might cause it to tilt a little but it's only while you take the test shots.

Thanks. Appreciate it.
First I need to take some shots of a test image or at least a textured wall all on the same plane to determine if my sensor is misaligned. Not sure it is - but I keep thinking it should be sharper overall none the less.
Maybe I't not too bad though. Here are 2 single frames I shot the other morning Between the 2 I actually get all 4 corners and the middle to evaluate. Just did slightly more sharpening than the Lightroom default. I usually finish my images off in Photoshop too with a lot more sharpening in 2 stages.:
0030_062916.jpg
0032_062916.jpg

Reactions: capposteve
Those images look highly acceptable, I wouldn't mess with it, there is a possibility it might make things worse.

Those images look highly acceptable, I wouldn't mess with it, there is a possibility it might make things worse.
Thanks. I agree. I've been getting some excellent images from this drone. I have another that may be questionable. Just got it back from repair so I need to do some tests on it as well.

Do you guys think this looks out of focus to you? I was reading the focus issue and it seems I might have it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 894
Do you guys think this looks out of focus to you? I was reading the focus issue and it seems I might have it.

That looks like motion blur due to low shutter speed. You need to take a photo in good bright daylight with a shutter speed as high as possible so you get the sharpest possible image from the camera then upload it so we can have a look.

Reactions: scootrkitz
That looks like motion blur due to low shutter speed. You need to take a photo in good bright daylight with a shutter speed as high as possible so you get the sharpest possible image from the camera then upload it so we can have a look.

I will try that thanks. I believe it was taken with a shutter speed of 60. Shooting from 3fps. But I wasn't taking video. Should I up the shutter speed to 100?

Just wanted to say thank you so much for showing us how to do this, just fixed my P3A blurry-left-side, YEAH

Was simple, just opened the back, slightly loosened the 4 screws, jiggled the board around a little, tested about ten times till I got the spot, screws back in, back back on, quick flight and its perfect

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj