Birdside antenna mod version 2.0.

Best thread yet!

Thanks for all the good advice in here. So awesome! You guys rock

And 50,000ft thats just insane!

Reactions: Squirrel!
Thanks for the heads up. Picked up a set today at my local Home Depot, they fit perfect. The link was a big help, without the SKU number never would have found them. Might be a good way to repair that cracked leg by gluing the plug in place, that's right where it has the crack.

Have you ever tried LocTite brand, Super Glue Professional? I swear by that stuff. Once you glue something with it, it's fixed forever. I guy on my Traxxas forums turned me on to it and at first I thought.... yeah yeah yeah.... super glue is super glue, but this stuff is the bomb and that's all I'll use.

Here's the sku for that too:

Loctite 20g Professional Liquid Super Glue-1365882 - The Home Depot

Can we do the same with the 5.8 control antennas on the bird?

We are thinking that these might work for the 5.8ghz side. What you would do is unsolder the board (see pics in Ebay listing), throw the RP-Sma connector/swivel away, then solder that board to the existing co-ax in a way like how DB modded his professional.

Dual-band Dipole 2.4/5.8GHz Antenna 5dbi RP-SMA Connector Paddle-shaped | eBay

(I think) Kenneth McNutt ordered a set and is going to try it.

Do you reckon these
would be better than the standard to use on the remote?

On the remote, this one is pretty awesome:

Amazon.com: YKS 5.8G FPV 14DBI High Gain Panel Antenna Aerial for Receiver DJI RC Aircraft FPV: Toys & Games

Or, if you wanted something not so directional, this works well:

1 6dBi 2.4GHz 5GHz Dual Band WiFi RP-SMA Antenna Belkin Wireless Router F7D8301 | eBay

I have also tried this one with good results:

1 7dBi 2.4GHz 5GHz Dual Band WiFi RP-SMA Antenna Linksys Cisco Routers E2100L | eBay

(these would be for the control, the 5.8ghz)

I really am looking for non directional. If you've tried these and got better results than standard I will just order the top link (seem a bit shorter in length) and use these for both the 2.4 and 5.8.

Do you remember what increase you got in range?

On the remote, this one is pretty awesome:

Amazon.com: YKS 5.8G FPV 14DBI High Gain Panel Antenna Aerial for Receiver DJI RC Aircraft FPV: Toys & Games

1 6dBi 2.4GHz 5GHz Dual Band WiFi RP-SMA Antenna Belkin Wireless Router F7D8301 | eBay

I have also tried this one with good results:

1 7dBi 2.4GHz 5GHz Dual Band WiFi RP-SMA Antenna Linksys Cisco Routers E2100L | eBay

(these would be for the control, the 5.8ghz)
How about that first one "Birdside" ?
618lYh09WGL._SL1500_.jpg

I really am looking for non directional. If you've tried these and got better results than standard I will just order the top link (seem a bit shorter in length) and use these for both the 2.4 and 5.8.

The link on the top of his post is only for 5.8 GHz, it's not dual band.

The link on the top of his post is only for 5.8 GHz, it's not dual band.

Yes sorry, the YKS directional is only 5.8. I meant the middle link

I might try 3 of these.

Also @Matts175 I have the alphas and when I tried them I lost signal at 160 metres hehe. I will give them another go though just in case I stuffed up somewhere. I still prefer omni though, that way I don't have to worry about aiming at the bird

I don't remember, I tried so many, LOL. It worked well enough to get me to my lake though... 3000 feet away.

The factory antenna is only 2.5 dbi, so these will be an increase for sure.

Check this out..... EVERYTHING you are going to need for under $10.00.

3pcs 6dBi RP-SMA Dual Band Antenna+3x 12'' U.fl Cables For Bulkhead Pigtail PCI | eBay

Hahaha. Might be a little hard to keep it aimed.... you think?
ya, I'd need four of them. One for each side, they could double as sails in the wind. lol

ya, I'd need four of them. One for each side, they could double as sails in the wind. lol
I'm going with dual batteries soon and will have battery wings and need to move the 5.8 GHz dipoles somewhere else or come up with something different.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94