Birdside antenna mod version 2.0.

They fit perfectly. Also I think the compass that comes with the P3P landing gear will work. But I used the one that was on my bird. Had to strip back the white thick insulation so it can hide the wires behind the new antenna. Haven't flown it yet. Will tomorrow after work.

Quick question, how did you attach the antennas to the new landing gear, does it come with screws for the antenna?

Reactions: Squirrel!
The P3P antennas pop into their own slot in the P3P landing gear I bought. Since you only use two of the antennas the other two slots I pushed in the 5.8 ghz antennas into them. they hold perfectly.

No Problem. If you need any other pictures just let me know. I bought the antennas off Amazon and the landing gear also.
Yea, I have the antennas here already and just ordered the landing gear. I see that you had to strip some of the insulation wire from the compass, how much did you have to take off?

Yea, I have the antennas here already and just ordered the landing gear. I see that you had to strip some of the insulation wire from the compass, how much did you have to take off?

I stopped just above the slot where the antenna goes. You have to stuff those compass wires behind the antenna so the white insulation will not fit. I used a scalpel to strip it. I put the new antennas opposite the 5.8 ones. you will use a short wire one and a long wire one. the antennas are keyed to fit in a certain slot. Also you will have to cut out the compass it has that white silicon glue on it. It's easy not bad at all.

Reactions: Squirrel!
I stopped just above the slot where the antenna goes. You have to stuff those compass wires behind the antenna so the white insulation will not fit. I used a scalpel to strip it. I put the new antennas opposite the 5.8 ones. you will use a short wire one and a long wire one. the antennas are keyed to fit in a certain slot. Also you will have to cut out the compass it has that white silicon glue on it. It's easy not bad at all.

Great info,thanks again.

Finally did this mod and tested it today. Got almost to my max distance of 5038 meters at 4655 meters, and that was because of the low battery Smart Return. Could have canceled that like I did when I got the max range but was getting too close to a major highway, so I let it return. Tried a second run with my external battery this time but going in a different direction, but lost signal at 4489 meters going that way and the fail safe RTH happened. I should have pushed it back out once signal came back 3000 meters, as I have much battery left (72%), next time. Now this was with the 5.8 dipoles and the 2.4 in the legs mod.

Attachments

• IMAG0327.jpg
    IMAG0327.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 766
  • IMAG0326.jpg
    IMAG0326.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 765
  • IMAG0323.jpg
    IMAG0323.jpg
    1,016.8 KB · Views: 744
  • IMAG0322.jpg
    IMAG0322.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 730
Nice run!! I tried to replace my 2.4 dipole with them but couldn't get the range of the dipoles so reinstalled with the better cables.

William what did you end up using for your external battery? Got the clip coming from Jake @ Maxx so would like to see what you used if you don't mind. Thanks

William what did you end up using for your external battery? Got the clip coming from Jake @ Maxx so would like to see what you used if you don't mind. Thanks
Yes used it on my second run yesterday, but lost signal at 4489 meters and RTH came on. Should have turned around and went back out for a third tried, but didn't. I haven't installed my battery wings yet, so I'm using just one battery under the belly of the drone.

Attachments

• IMAG0314.jpg
    IMAG0314.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 570
That looks good. A little tail heavy I bet. How many mAh?

You can carry 400g back there no prob.
Anything more made my p3S hard to control once critical autoland set in. Yaws a little unpredictable. I use the MultiStar 5.2 back there perfectly, once I bumped up to the 6.6. I had some trouble. Every external I've tried gave 5+ more minutes on the standard than they offered on my P3A/p's. Prob cause the standard is lighter, buuuut the standard doesn't seem to be able to carry quite as much weight as the
P3A/p.

Reactions: k9time
That looks good. A little tail heavy I bet. How many mAh?
It's a 3400 mAh and weighs around 320g, so it's fine to fly with just like DB said. Just have to takeoff a bit gentle until it levels out, takes like one second to do that. Than everything is very normal during flight till landing and then the same applies, just be gentle.

Did you read through this thread? Long but some very good info. Dual Battery Mod

Did you read through this thread? Long but some very good info. Dual Battery Mod
Yeah been over there this morning.. Long but hard to stop reading as really good info..
Come to find out Digdat0 flying spot is about 5 minutes from my house so now kinda looking to do some long distance flying. Thanks William..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues