Reaction score
I have been flying for just over a year and absolutely love using my P4. I have my permission for aerial work from the CAA and always fly legally. However I am constantly worried about upsetting someone whilst flying and its taking away the fun of flying. I have been approached on many occasions with people telling me i'm breaking the law and I shouldn't be flying here ect. Non of these people have ever had the correct facts so I simply smile and educate them on the rules and regs but its ANNOYING the hell out of me!

These past few weeks i've visited a few locations to shoot and I have not had the confidence to get the drone out of the box because I just cant be arsed with the hassle and attention from people. Anyone having the same issues?

I haven't been harassed, but I do carry copies of an FAQ sheet I created that I can hand to anyone striking up a conversation with me during a mission -- mainly to keep them occupied and not distract me. I also wear a t-shirt (which I sell) that reads FAA LICENSED DRONE PILOT (which I am) which probably deters some people from hassling me. Sounds like I probably should also sell a CAA CERTIFIED DRONE PILOT shirt for friends up north. I'll work on it. You can find a link to the shirts via the information tab on my profile page, if curious. You could also just customize one of the shirts and change it to read CAA... if you want one.

Last edited:
I haven't been harassed, but I do carry copies of an FAQ sheet I created that I can hand to anyone striking up a conversation with me during a mission -- mainly to keep them occupied and not distract me. I also wear a t-shirt (which I sell) that reads FAA LICENSED DRONE PILOT (which I am) which probably deters some people from hassling me. Sounds like I probably should also sell a CAA CERTIFIED DRONE PILOT shirt for friends up north. I'll work on it. You can find a link to the shirts via the information tab on my profile page.

I have a Hi-Vis vest with Drone Operator & Company Name printed on it. I also have cones and other equipment that I don't want to bring along with me when Im just out shooting for fun. I do like the idea of your FAQ Sheet, I think I might put one together.

I have a Hi-Vis vest with Drone Operator & Company Name printed on it. I also have cones and other equipment that I don't want to bring along with me when Im just out shooting for fun. I do like the idea of your FAQ Sheet, I think I might put one together.

Don't forget to list your source(s) on the sheet. That way you can be assured they can't refute the Q&A's seeing they came from a reputable source(s), & not something you just made up.

FAQ sheet sounds a very good idea, I am also fed up of repeating the same explanations over and over... even if in Italy questions are not much about " you can't fly here" but more about "wow, what can you do wit it" and "can you send me that video?".
Will you post your FAQ sheet text here as an idea generator for the rest of us?
Thanks

I do my best to avoid people and try to fly in deserted areas. I do get approached by people who are interested and am polite and explain and have had no problems except once.
I was flying on a deserted coastline when from nowhere someone approached me and advised I was flying over National trust owned land, flying is banned here. Shame because they own huge areas of deserted coastline, I still fly over suitable National Trust land, but check no wardens about. They have no powers of enforcement, and even their ban of the airspace is probably not legal, especially as I launch from a public area.
Like the idea of a FAQ

Really hard to know if a shirt or vest is effective unless someone states their position/opinion was changed. Hard to prove a negative otherwise.
These toys can and do malfunction so I'd be more interested in seeing your liability insurance rather than some regalia.

Really hard to know if a shirt or vest is effective unless someone states their position/opinion was changed. Hard to prove a negative otherwise.
These toys can and do malfunction so I'd be more interested in seeing your liability insurance rather than some regalia.
I always carry my certificate with me, just in case, but never needed to show it.

Reactions: N017RW
I haven't been harassed, but I do carry copies of an FAQ sheet I created that I can hand to anyone striking up a conversation with me during a mission -- mainly to keep them occupied and not distract me. I also wear a t-shirt (which I sell) that reads FAA LICENSED DRONE PILOT (which I am) which probably deters some people from hassling me. Sounds like I probably should also sell a CAA CERTIFIED DRONE PILOT shirt for friends up north. I'll work on it. You can find a link to the shirts via the information tab on my profile page, if curious. You could also just customize one of the shirts and change it to read CAA... if you want one.

Some guy yesterday asked me if we weee 5 miles from the airport. And I was at Newport Beach CA, and the planes are way overhead higher than the drone can reach.

Just some old guy trying to be a smart [EXPLETIVE REMOVED]

Last edited by a moderator:
Will you post your FAQ sheet text here as an idea generator for the rest of us?
Thanks

I have it at the office and will post when I get a moment. It's basically just a fact sheet regarding the P2V+ that I fly. Nothing special about the sheet or info on it.

I do my best to avoid people and try to fly in deserted areas. I do get approached by people who are interested and am polite and explain and have had no problems except once.
I was flying on a deserted coastline when from nowhere someone approached me and advised I was flying over National trust owned land, flying is banned here. Shame because they own huge areas of deserted coastline, I still fly over suitable National Trust land, but check no wardens about. They have no powers of enforcement, and even their ban of the airspace is probably not legal, especially as I launch from a public area.
Like the idea of a FAQ

I have been working on a video for the past year in Cornwall south west England. Mostly all national trust land. I offered to partner with them for this project & their response was 'flying is banned over national trust' , but the truth is they do not own the airspace above them. I do respect why, wildlife breeding areas ect & I try to also fly in remote areas , usually with no hassle at all. Strangely they are still liking my pics on twitter and Instagram!

I have had rangers come and tell me not to fly to which I kindly land , pack away and head off to the next spot. But you are right , most of England's beautiful coast line is national trust property. I guess the only 'private offence' is physically taking off and landing on their land.

I have been working on a video for the past year in Cornwall south west England. Mostly all national trust land. I offered to partner with them for this project & their response was 'flying is banned over national trust' , but the truth is they do not own the airspace above them. I do respect why, wildlife breeding areas ect & I try to also fly in remote areas , usually with no hassle at all. Strangely they are still liking my pics on twitter and Instagram!

I have had rangers come and tell me not to fly to which I kindly land , pack away and head off to the next spot. But you are right , most of England's beautiful coast line is national trust property. I guess the only 'private offence' is physically taking off and landing on their land.
I understand that NT only own up to the high tide mark on the shoreline, below this is Crown land. Crown land is public land, and no restrictions on launching and landing. Your rights to use the airspace above their land has not been tested in law.

The National Trusts have been very helpful when I have approached them. They generally do not want drones flying between March and August which is the main breeding season, but even then, when I have talked to them, they have often given me permission based on where and how high I would be flying. Why fly over their properties if you are violating their bye-laws? There are plenty of places you can fly that isn't over NT property including quite a bit of coastline.

As to being approached by the public, I generally wear my CAA badge and no one has questioned me about violations. They are generally interested and I am quite happy to explain what I'm doing. I think that is part of our responsibility and helps to lessen the anxieties that some people have. If being asked questions annoys anyone, I'd suggest flying away from where people are.

hi
i would be very interested in your faq sheet if you are ok in posting it here? it would be of great interest to many others im sure

sean

The Hi-Vis vest works perfectly for me too. I fly my drone (for photography) all over the city and the only question I get is:
"when did the local utility start using aerial inspection?" People assume I work for the city or the utility or some government agency. And then they relax.

All good points, amazing how people are curious but newsie at the same time. I've been approached many times and I asked kindly, just to leave me alone. I'm not a show n tell flyer to attract people to group around me. It's a hobby I like and enjoy and I usually have earbuds playing my music just to ignore people that try to get my attention.

Not really.

Most of my reactions are just curiosity (most people just watch, few have ever approached me, and those have generally been limited to comments like "cool drone") smiles, and waves.

I have had several friendly conversations with a security gaurd where I like to fly, he is just interested in the drone and thinks it's cool.

Another gaurd there asked me to fly somewhere else, which of course means nothing (it's public land, as is of course the airspace) but since I was almost done anyway and didn't feel like arguing I just packed up. Closest thing to a negative reaction.

FYI, I have a few other observations:

I have also been known to Open Carry a pistol on occasion (so far I haven't done it while flying yet) either because I legally had to (because I could not legally conceal a pistol in that location but could legally Open Carry one) or as a political statement and I have noted that the majority of people are very unobservant, they don't even seem to notice. Even on the rare occasions that I have been carrying a rifle (protests and pro second amendment rallies at the state capital) in addition to my pistol most people do not notice. I feel like I could almost carry an RPG if I had one and not raise an eyebrow, it really is amazing. It is not my intention to shock, but it is surprising the level of people who just seem completely oblivious to the world around them, which is my point in talking about this. Or if they do notice they simply don't say anything or react in any way.

Most of my reactions (from the oeople who do notice) here too have been positive or just curious as well. I have only had one truly negative reation, a hard lefty woman (who by the way looked the part, complete with the ugly glasses and the "I want to see the manager" haircut) who claimed to be "afraid" (as justification why we should not exercise our rights) yet still marched up to 30 people (men and women by the way) carrying rifles and loudly demanded (in a slew of explatives) that we leave "her" public park. (We were there protesting a wrongful arrest and due process violations of a man (who did not own a car) who was legally transporting a new rifle to a friends house in the only manner he legally could in this state as an 18 year old, openly (a case could potentially be interpreted as concealing by an over zealous cop (the law has a hole in it where a specific transport exception is written for personal vehicles but not foot travel or public transport)), on foot, and his prosecution on ADMITTED false charges, he was later aquitted and went on to sue the city by the way) I also once had a woman ask if my safety was on while I was carrying a Glock, which does not have a manual safety, which I told her, that was the end of that interaction. My oher reactions have all been positve, mostly just comments like "cool" or people wanting to randomly "talk shop," a few have even thanked me for carrying.

I should imagine that the same is somewhat the true for drones, most people don't even notice, and most of the ones that do don't care or just think it's cool. It's only the misinformed or paranoid that seem to have a problem with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: changedout
I have been flying for just over a year and absolutely love using my P4. I have my permission for aerial work from the CAA and always fly legally. However I am constantly worried about upsetting someone whilst flying and its taking away the fun of flying. I have been approached on many occasions with people telling me i'm breaking the law and I shouldn't be flying here ect. Non of these people have ever had the correct facts so I simply smile and educate them on the rules and regs but its ANNOYING the hell out of me!

These past few weeks i've visited a few locations to shoot and I have not had the confidence to get the drone out of the box because I just cant be arsed with the hassle and attention from people. Anyone having the same issues?
Having that shirt would be almost as much fun as a "Border Patrol
Having that shirt would be almost as much fun as a "Border Patrol" shirt and hat.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic