This one is always fun. I would LOVE to a see a statistical analysis of "dangers" of drones vs. bicycles vs. "hooverboards" (what happened to those things anyway LOL), skateboards, rollerblades,

My *guess* is you have a better chance of getting hit by a car checking your mailbox than you have of getting injured by a falling drone. Just a guess mind you... LOL
Actually, the University of Alabama did a study on injury caused by a falling drone. I talked the one of the guys who participated, they had a booth at a drone event held at the NASA Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville. I've never read the paper but from talking to the guy, the chances of a serious injury are minimal.

Actually, the University of Alabama did a study on injury caused by a falling drone. I talked the one of the guys who participated, they had a booth at a drone event held at the NASA Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville. I've never read the paper but from talking to the guy, the chances of a serious injury are minimal.
Phase 1 of the study was completed and the results posted in a few places. They determined that due to the materials, light weight, and aerodynamic drag, the risk of fatalities or serious injuries was much lower than the figures being used for sUAS research. The study also discussed the risk of laceration from the props. A second phase of the study was scheduled to start back in June.

Make T-shirt that says this on the back "FAA licensed drone pilot"

Group pilot number ( make up number )

How is my flying? Call (insert phone number you control here. If you don't have an extra one, get a free Google voice phone number)

I was filming in the alps in Austria a few weeks back. I had my hi vis jacket on with company name and logo with ' drone operator' Written on the back. Within 5 mins I had a car pull up next to me and 2 guys from the council told me flying was prohibited around the area. I never wore it again as is made me stand out even more!!

Yea. It can be a false sense of security and impossible to tell if it prevented an encounter.

Phase 1 of the study was completed and the results posted in a few places. They determined that due to the materials, light weight, and aerodynamic drag, the risk of fatalities or serious injuries was much lower than the figures being used for sUAS research. The study also discussed the risk of laceration from the props. A second phase of the study was scheduled to start back in June.
Interesting, the guy that I spoke to didn't mention a second phase. They had a Phantom on the table that was one of the ones they used in the study, it was a little beat up but not in as bad of shape I would expect.

......... I just compare their attitude with the populace of NAZI Germany when Hitler disarmed the citizenry for the very same excuses...........

Anyone that wants to give up their freedoms to the government in the name of security deserves neither.
===========================================================

REGARDING LAWS, FREEDOM, AND DRONES.....

To a limited extent, I see where you are coming from, and agree with you about freedoms. Nothing new about human nature, and the desire of some to want to control what others do, even what they think.

And then there is the human fear of anything "different". Good illustration of that is how humanity reacted to the first automobiles.

You are misinformed, however, about Third Reich weapons policy. You have it backwards. The Third Reich RE-armed German citizens, doing away with the very restrictive anti-gun laws of the Wiemar Republic. Any German citizen could have all the firearms he or she wanted, provided they simply first took them down to the nearest police station and registered them. Yes, non citizens could not own firearms. And yes, Germans who happened to be jewish were "non-citizens".

(which makes one wonder what history would have been, if all those THOUSANDS ( actually TENS of thousands ! ) of World War One German combat veterans who happened to be jewish, had decided NOT to give up their personal firearms when the liberals in the Wiemar Republic got their anti-gun laws into effect ) ( I can think of one German war hero from the First World War who no doubt wished he'd kept his side-arms......Iron Cross First Class ( EisenKruz Einz Klasse) . A combat infrantry officer ..UberLeutnant Otto Henreich Frank.........(you know...the guy with a daughter named Anne.....!)

I do not see registration and licensing as an "impingemnent" to my owning and operating my drone, my aircraft, my several firearms, or my automobiles and trucks. An excellent example of how well some LIMITED societal controls work, is the 1934 FEDERAL FIREARMS CONTROL ACT. You can own & operate all the machine guns you can afford provided you first go thru ATF. The 1934 law effectively eliminated violence with fully automatic weapons that had been so horrid prior to the enactment of that law.

I hate when they want to talk to you while you are flying. Say hey can you see I am trying to fly here talk to me when I land sheesh.

Reactions: matt1221
Interesting, the guy that I spoke to didn't mention a second phase. They had a Phantom on the table that was one of the ones they used in the study, it was a little beat up but not in as bad of shape I would expect.
Phase 2 was mentioned in all of the articles.

I like the idea of an FAQ Handout. I'll probably draft my own later tonight. I wouldn't wear an "FAA Licensed Drone Pilot" t-shirt unless I was flying under Part 107 (for commercial purposes). I would think it'd be difficult to prove you were flying as a hobbyist if something happened and you had that t-shirt on. Just my two-cents... :)

Reactions: matt1221
I like the idea of an FAQ Handout. I'll probably draft my own later tonight. I wouldn't wear an "FAA Licensed Drone Pilot" t-shirt unless I was flying under Part 107 (for commercial purposes). I would think it'd be difficult to prove you were flying as a hobbyist if something happened and you had that t-shirt on. Just my two-cents... :)
That's why it's important to document each flight in your logbook. That record will be your 'witness' about where, when and how you were flying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4