Annoying People

Reaction score
Hi, I see a lot of posts about drone bans and/or obtrusive overreaching local ordinances and laws. I’m starting to understand why some of these get put on the books. Yes, there is the occasional idiot who does something dangerous or really does invade someone’s privacy. But for the most part, I think this is very rare. Most of us, I think anyway, love the idea of a camera with wings and the video and pics these tools can capture.

Anyway, as an example of what I think is the real issue. I travelled to Spain this week and went on a tour to the countryside. It was small group on the tour, I think 8 people, plus the guide. I brought my PH4 of course, hoping to capture some nice scenery. It was a great day for the most part. We got to out last spot, a tiny little village in the north of Catalonia. The tour guide took an interest in my drone and I was showing her how it worked and the video I was able to capture. She thought it was great and asked if I would take a picture of the group with the drone. Which I did.

As I am flying around, the one other American on the tour walks up to me and starts complaining about how much noise it was making, how it was ruining her peace and quite, etc. I just ignored her, as did the tour guide who thought it was the coolest thing she had seen. The American tourist walked off in a huff, and couldn’t stop complaining about how terrible the noise was, ruining the natural peace, etc.

My point here is that I don’t think the anti-drone crowd is worried so much about safety, etc. It’s just that people have become so overly sensitive to any little thing that might infringe upon the purity of their private worlds, must be banned and made illegal. We have to be careful what we say, for fear our micro-aggressive behavior, just might offend some sensitive soul. We have to be careful what we do, for fear that our privacy invading, noise polluting, mind reading machines might hint at disturbing someone’s aura of internal peace. Of course, God help us all, if we should feel that we should all just live our own lives and not be so worried about how we might possibly, in some unexpected way, in doing something or just being something, that someone else might somehow be offended.

Gzz people, we all need to just lighten up. End of rant....

Hi, I see a lot of posts about drone bans and/or obtrusive overreaching local ordinances and laws. I’m starting to understand why some of these get put on the books. Yes, there is the occasional idiot who does something dangerous or really does invade someone’s privacy. But for the most part, I think this is very rare. Most of us, I think anyway, love the idea of a camera with wings and the video and pics these tools can capture.

Anyway, as an example of what I think is the real issue. I travelled to Spain this week and went on a tour to the countryside. It was small group on the tour, I think 8 people, plus the guide. I brought my PH4 of course, hoping to capture some nice scenery. It was a great day for the most part. We got to out last spot, a tiny little village in the north of Catalonia. The tour guide took an interest in my drone and I was showing her how it worked and the video I was able to capture. She thought it was great and asked if I would take a picture of the group with the drone. Which I did.

As I am flying around, the one other American on the tour walks up to me and starts complaining about how much noise it was making, how it was ruining her peace and quite, etc. I just ignored her, as did the tour guide who thought it was the coolest thing she had seen. The American tourist walked off in a huff, and couldn’t stop complaining about how terrible the noise was, ruining the natural peace, etc.

My point here is that I don’t think the anti-drone crowd is worried so much about safety, etc. It’s just that people have become so overly sensitive to any little thing that might infringe upon the purity of their private worlds, must be banned and made illegal. We have to be careful what we say, for fear our micro-aggressive behavior, just might offend some sensitive soul. We have to be careful what we do, for fear that our privacy invading, noise polluting, mind reading machines might hint at disturbing someone’s aura of internal peace. Of course, God help us all, if we should feel that we should all just live our own lives and not be so worried about how we might possibly, in some unexpected way, in doing something or just being something, that someone else might somehow be offended.

I agree, our drones are much less offensive that the Honda Civic with a 10" exhaust can winding up to 5,000 RPM going by, or a sub woofer from a car rattling the windows of your house.

I find there are many things more annoying than the sound my drone makes. For example the family who moved into a house over a block away who play their rap music so loud I can't hear my lawnmower running.

Personally, I think we should all consider each others views and do what we can to strike a compromise. I do my best not to fly around other people and not be within ear shot. Perhaps I take off in the area but I then immediately fly to an area where the drone cannot be seen or heard. Getting that photo or video from just one angle is not really that important.

Reactions: MTChristy
I agree that people can be painful but I also see the other point of view .
My wife and I visited may stunningly beautiful palces in Canada in pre drone times and a large part of that experience was the stillness and the quiet.
I suppose it comes down to judging the correct time and place to fly .

Reactions: MTChristy
I agree that people can be painful but I also see the other point of view .
My wife and I visited may stunningly beautiful palces in Canada in pre drone times and a large part of that experience was the stillness and the quiet.
I suppose it comes down to judging the correct time and place to fly .

...I agree, and to that end, I don’t think that a 20 minute useable flight time per battery is such a bad idea.

The guy with the drone should be able to get that beautiful shot and move on, being forced to land (at least every 20-ish minutes), so everyone else gets the experience that they are after, if that includes tranquility.

Sure, there’s always the guy with multiple batteries and no sense of decency or boundaries, but he’s probably the minority and we ALL know there is no shortage of “that guy”, in any scenario, at any time, anywhere.

Imagine when people first started driving cars around. "They're so loud", "They scare the children!", "THEY ARE DANGEROUS!!!". It will just take time. Meanwhile, have fun while we're still free!

Reactions: Neon Euc

She was just jealous that you have an amazing machine and she doesn't, so it bother her a lot and started acting like you was making a lot of noise.

Reactions: DocDiggler
Personally, I think we should all consider each others views and do what we can to strike a compromise. I do my best not to fly around other people and not be within ear shot. Perhaps I take off in the area but I then immediately fly to an area where the drone cannot be seen or heard. Getting that photo or video from just one angle is not really that important.
Sheesh, I really wish you wouldn't post this kind of thing. It just becomes such a bummer to have to come across and read, effectively ruining the good vibe that this thread was :(

Where was the good vibe of which you speak ? Do you mean we should not only stay on topic but also maintain a strong drone users bias.?
The OP may have found that the woman who complained wasn't the only one that thought the noise was an issue.
Just because you own a drone and enjoy using it doesn't mean others feel the same way.
Like most of us I love the flying and learning all about this technology but I have been surprised how many people have no interest what so ever and by default find them annoying and treat you condescendingly expecting you to grow up soon.(not going to happen:rolleyes: )

I think that sometimes you can you can work with or around these people ie tell them it is just for a short period of time or offer to share the footage . Other times nothing will appease them . As drones become less of a novelty and more common place you will only see this aggravation increase unfortunately .

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik