Flying around/over people.

Reaction score
Hey gang. I'm wondering if anyone can help me with the "laws" concerning flying over/around other people.
Backstory... I'm strictly talking recreational only as I do not hold a part 107.
We lost a friend a few weeks back and we all decided to get together at my property and have a memorial. Say goodbye share some stories Yada Yada.
We had his initial made with luminaries on the ground out in the pasture. We all held luminaries and were in a circle with about a 30 ft circumference roughly 15 ft from center. I had my Phantom 4 hovering above the center of the group at about a 20 to 30 ft height focused on his initial on the ground.
I then climbed and rotated up to 390 ft.
The plan was to make a nice Facebook video so of curse it could be shared among friends and his parents.
Now.. Did I break any "law" by flying above the people in the circle? I did my pre flight checks and had full battery so I felt good about doing it as far as safety goes but I'm looking back wondering if I broke any "laws". And it was dusk almost dark.
Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading. And of course any and all answers or criticism is appreciated.

EDIT: I haven't posted the video yet either.

Last edited:
if everyone knew and did not object to the Phantom over them, you are fine. In general practice you should not fly over groups of people. The FAA is not going to come knocking on your door.

Thanks. Yeah everyone was excited and knew about the plan. And I didn't fly directly over anyone but I was above people like 15 ft away, not directly above them. But I know what you're saying. I'm not trying to be technical just trying to explain.

Directly over. They way I interceded it in 107-2 "over their head arms extended". That would be the no fly zone. Anywhere in between fair game. What you have to understand is there are no "Laws" for hobbies just guidelines. Fly outside those guidelines and if something goes wrong then you could be held negligent based on the fact you did not follow the guidelines.

Really someone was recently arrested for crashing a drone into people. The guidelines are there for a reason.

If everyone agreed to be in the drone video, you should be fine under the FAA view, because this is a memorial dedication in behalf of your lost friend.

if everyone knew and did not object to the Phantom over them, you are fine. In general practice you should not fly over groups of people. The FAA is not going to come knocking on your door.

Yes but, as OP asked the question,..'if everyone knew and did not object', - makes no difference to safety or making it 'legal' (within guidelines) if they did or not. The reason for the flight was obviously sensitive for the team there, I reply with utmost respect to them and the occasion.

If everyone agreed to be in the drone video, you should be fine under the FAA view, because this is a memorial dedication in behalf of your lost friend.

I realise I am not from US, but pretty sure FAA has no interest or jurisdiction over video permissions, nor reason for flight. Pretty sure it's about safety..

107-2 addresses non participants. The only person you can fly over is you, a VO, or someone put in place to secure the fly zone.
As far as the person arrested for crashing into someone i guarantee they found some other penal code to arrest for. FAR's are neither a felony or misdemeanor and Part 107. ??? (Sorry I don't have my notes with me to state the exact sub section) does not designate a penalty for crashing into someone.

Also if this flight was done on private property over people who consented to it, then I see no issues at all to be honest

Reactions: cfd701

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj